5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective
Published on March 3, 2006 by J.Y. Kellay

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for Rough Jobs
This sharpener is cheap and effective for rough jobs. I use it mainly for my utility knife that I abuse and this quickly puts a decent edge back on it. If you are looking for a shaving edge though, you will have to use a finer sharpener. This will not get a blade to a shaving edge.
Published on June 23, 2010 by Darin H

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective, March 3, 2006
This knife sharpener does everything it says! But it doesn't stay coarse very long. I mean, I sharpen my work knives a lot! Atleast once a day. It still sharpens my work knives, and they stay sharp! I use my knives for everything! From chipping, cutting, poking holes in anything ,opening paint cans, to cleaning under my fingernails! I have bought a couple more and I would support this item 100%.

Basically...Very effective knife sharpener! Would definitely recommed to anyone. I let my friends at work sharpen their knives and they ask me where to get one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ultra-portable means it's available when you need it, February 26, 2005
Daniel Rutkowski (Wernersville, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gerber 09841 Diamond Knife Sharpener (Tools & Home Improvement)
The Gerber diamond knife sharpener looks and feels just like a ball point pen. With its pocket clip, it's easy to put in your shirt pocket so it will be available if and when you need it in the field.

The sharpener is actually a piece of metal barstock that has a thin coating of diamond grit. The action part of the tool is extended out of the barrel to a length of 2-5/8 inches and tightened with a knurled nut. It has been ground flat on one side and is half-round on the other side with a lengthwise groove for sharpening fish hooks. The protective barrel seems to be made from an aluminum alloy and also serves as the grip for the tool. As such, it helps keep your hand and fingers away from the business end of your knife blade.

The best use I've found for this sharpener is touching up a fine blade that's just a little dull while the half-round side is the only tool I've been able to use for working on a serrated hunting blade. It's possible to get a little aggressive with the sharpener without putting scratches across the blade like I've done with a sharpening stone. I haven't used it long enough to find out how long it will last, but it is well made.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for Rough Jobs, June 23, 2010
Darin H (Elk Grove, CA USA) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Failure, December 25, 2012
I thought this would be of good quality, as it is Gerber, but it lasted less than 3 minutes out of the package before the 'diamond' coating just started flaking off in the first use. It may be able to sharpen one knife one time before it is completely useless. It is going back tomorrow.

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY coarse..., December 2, 2010
For something this small and packable, it should be alot finer. It's too coarse for any knife I have unless I need to take out nicks in the edge of an ax.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless, November 18, 2012
I bought one of these yesterday, used it on one knife, for less than one minute, and nearly all of the "triple-coated" diamond finish has come off of the sharpener. After a series of failures over the last couple of years by other products from this company (from machetes to folding knives), this is decidedly the last time I will ever buy anything from this company again. And Gerber once had such a respectable name.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerber Sharpener, July 30, 2011
The Gerber Sharpener in my opinion is the best tool for sharpening fish hooks made.
I have used one of these for several years and it beats the other choices on the market hands down. I lost my original in the lake and decided I better get a "back up" just in case that happens again. Great product...what you would expect from Gerber. DA

4.0 out of 5 stars A sharp blade is a happy blade, February 26, 2005
Daniel Rutkowski (Wernersville, PA USA) - See all my reviews

The best use I've found for this sharpener is touching up a fine blade that's just a little dull while the half-round side is the only tool I've been able to use for working on a serrated hunting blade. It's possible to get a little aggressive with the sharpener while not putting scratches across the blade like I've done with a sharpening stone. I haven't used it long enough to find out how long it will last, but it is well made.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money., July 10, 2014
DO NOT BUY THIS. I bought this for my filet knife and it sucks. The sharpener did not hold the grit well and it barely made the blade usable to cut fish. There are better products on the market that would be worth more that this junk. I did not send it back because the price was not worth the hassle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, June 27, 2014