5.0 out of 5 stars the tactical beast
I had been searching for a replacement for my Schrade Tough Tool, which while giving me many years of reliable service before being stolen from a jobsite I was on, was a little heavy and clunky for my purposes.

Published on May 28, 2008 by D. Fonnesbeck

1.0 out of 5 stars GERBER MULTI-TOOL
HAVE OWNED SEVERAL USA MADE GERBER TOOLS AND HAVE BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH THEM. THE QUALITY OF THIS TOOL IS NOT THERE.THE TOOL ORIGINALLY STATED THEY WHERE MADE IN THE USA BUT WHEN THE PRODUCT ARRIVED THEY WHERE MADE IN VIETNAM IT IS NOT THE SAME QUALITY OF THE PRODUCTS MADE HERE IN THE USA. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THEM.
Published on July 9, 2011 by RON

5.0 out of 5 stars the tactical beast, May 28, 2008
This review is from: Gerber 22-41545 Black Diesel Multi-Plier with Sheath (Sports)

Gerber multi-pliers always seemed very 'handy', but seemed a little lightweight for my purposes. But I asked around among my trusted friends and associates and I decided the Gerber Diesel had the strength and the features I was after. And after testing this bad boy in the field, I can truly say it performed without flaw.

My main concern was the strength of the pliers themselves (the Schrade was extremely strong and stable). I put this to the test immediately upon getting to work. I'm not sure what the reviewer who claimed the pliers had a design flaw was cranking on, but I cranked hex bolts/nuts, wing-nuts and all kinds of other fasteners with NO PROBLEMS! The needle-nose pliers were perfect for tight spots and sensitive moves with electronics, and I snipped everything from fishing-line to heavy-gauge wire and metal banding like butter with the snips.

The other issue I was concerned with was the 'one-handed' plier operation. This is really the key feature with any Gerber multi-tool, and I had NO problems at all getting the pliers to engage by flicking my wrist while holding one side of the two handles as instructed. It was a little stiff at first, but after a dozen or so flicks, the action was perfect.

Lastly, I was worried about all the reviews of the black coating coming off on the user's hands. And right out of the box there was a small amount of black residue left on my hands after handling the tool for the first time. But I've had this problem with ANY black coated tool I've ever owned (try handling impact-driver sockets). I simply pulled out all the tools and wiped them off with a cloth and I haven't had any of the residue on my hands at all since. My thoughts on this are if you are afraid of getting a little dirty, then maybe you better take up another hobby and let someone else handle the tools.

If you actually USE your tools, and don't just buy them because they look cool, you will love having this on your hip. It is a fine looking unit, but it ain't just a pretty face, it'll tear up any job you use a multi-tool for.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will never own anything more useful, March 21, 2009
My father gave me my first Gerber multipliers when I was a teen. Now as I soldier I have upgraded to its larger, more durable cousin, the Gerber Diesel. There are three things I never want to be without: my weapon, my wits, and my multiplier.

This device has countless applications that will save time looking for another tool and wear/tear on your hands. Disassembling your rifle and you do not have a cleaning rod within reach? Pliers head. MRE heater belching hot gases and you want to retrieve your meal? Pliers head. Find a little annoying string on your ACUs or your need to cut 550 cord? Scissors. Need to smooth a piece of metal on your gear so it does not rip clothing or skin? File. Cardboard needs to be cut into a sign? Knife blade. Need to get into an electronic or mechanical device riddled with phillips head/flat head screws? Phillips head/flat head screwdrivers. Alcohol beverage crimp top needs to be taken off? Bottle opener. A thick branch you want to use as shade or camouflage? Saw.

Other soldiers routinely come to me to borrow this indispensable device. Opens with the flick of a wrist. I would not always carry a knife, but I will never go anywhere on mission without a Gerber.

As the review title states, you will never own anything more useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uses for every day things, November 17, 2011
So, every day, I put this multi-tool on my belt and go to work. I can almost always count on finding a use for it. Whether it's cutting through a zip-tie, or getting a stuck screw out with the pliers or cutting through something with the scissors. I literally uses this mulit-tool every day. I've never really liked multi-tools, but a guy I work with has a Gerber multi-tool that he got 18 years ago. It is definitely an older model but basically the same idea (the pliers slide out of the tool) He said that his multi-tool is still serving him very well after 18 years of use (we work in an auto parts store, so we use tools a lot.) I think the most useful tool on the actual multi-tool are the scissors. They fold up so conviently and they are both strong and sharp. I probably have used them the most. I've had the Multi-Pliers for about four months now, and I can't put into words how much easier they have made my daily life. I never go anywhere without them. You get a lot of confused and interested looks from people when you whip the Mulit-Pliers out and slide the pliers out.

The Leatherman mulit-tools are good, they're a classic and all, but seriously, I can't stand the pinching of the hands when you fold them and go through all the work to expose the pliers. With the Multi-Pliers, you take it out of the pouch and with a simple snap of the wrist, you're ready to us it in any way you can think of. I think the best feature about the Multi-Pliers is that they are easy to use. You can be lazy and use one hand to open them up (I can take out and tool with only one hand.) It's so easy and fun to use. When I first got the Multi-Pliers in the mail, I ripped it out of the box and immediately started practicing with them. I must have spent three hours opening and closing them. By the end of the night, I was able to deftly swish my wrist and open up the knife within 5 seconds. When you first get them, they are kind of rough and sticky, but after an hour or two of opening and closing them, they become naturally lubricated and it is a breeze.

There is only one thing that I can leave you with, if you don't like the price tag on this awesome spectacle of human ingenuity, overlook that, save up for a couple of weeks and BUY THEM!!!! This are absolutely the best Multi-tool on the planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect all-in-one, March 3, 2010
I did a lot of research on getting a utility knife, and I've been very pleased with the Gerber Diesel so far.

I fly as a pilot and wanted something that had the basics for a survival knife (a good serrated knife, a saw - especially good for thick nylon if needed, phillips & flat head, pair of pliers, wire cutters, scissors, and even a bottle opener which is nice afterwards), but I also wanted something light, which this definitely is for having so much.

The biggest advantage I saw over the MP600 was that Diesel has a saw blade, which the MP600 does not.

I really like the safety features on it with all locking blades that open towards the center, so you never have to worry about it inadvertently opening.

The black oxide is a must with this model. The stainless did not appear to be solid stainless steel, and the black oxide just feels sturdier. The black oxide definitely looks better too.

1.0 out of 5 stars GERBER MULTI-TOOL, July 9, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, May 16, 2012
I have been using these multitools for 14 years now and this is the seventh one that I have owned. One of the best products that Gerber has ever produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars the apache of gerber multi-tools, August 18, 2009
I've had numerous Gerber Suspensions and a Gerber Crux, I destroyed both in the same month. While I was waiting on replacements from Geber (lifetime warranty) I purchased this milatarialistic influenced beast. It's styling reminds me of an apache heli or stealth bomber. The serrated blade is so sharp and strong I'm sure you could amputate your own arm if you had to.

The black does transfer some residue to your hands for the first couple of days weeks but if you're using it frequently it'll fade fast. I really like the finish on this tool. It gets better with age and wear.

I wish Gerber had packaged this with multiple sheath mount options. (I prefer the side-ways mount vs the vertical) Other than that minor gripe this device is worth every penny. It's reassuring that GERBER offers a lifetime warranty on most all their multi tools. You're buying it for life. Their replacement time is super quick no questions asked. Their blades are legendary.

The opening mechanism takes some practice at first but once you're used to it, it's second nature one-handed operation. (ideal if you've just used it to amputate your other arm as mentioned above)

I highly recommend this product. It's a little more scratch off the hop, but like everything, you get what you pay for.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but disappointed, June 9, 2013
I have a few other multitools, leatherman wingman, sog b61-n eod, gerber MP400 and MP600 and a few gerber knives, and swisstool spirit. Because of the other gerber tools' quality I assumed this would be heavier duty. I was wrong. The pliers wobbled like a loose tooth and the lock mechanism for the pliers was made of a plastic or composite material unlike the other models I own. The lock for blades and tools was on par, but the knives and scissors were very thin. The rest of the tools were about the same quality as the other models if not slightly thinner. I was so unhappy with it I gave it to my gf since I know she needed a multitool and wouldn't be as hard on it as I would. Decided to stick with my swisstool spirit as my edc. Overall I wouldn't recommend this tool to someone looking for an edc or heavy duty tool, or light hiking tool. I'l stick with my spirit and MP600 for edc.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!!!!!!!!!, March 8, 2010
By far this is the best multi-tool I have owned. I have had leatherman after leatherman the pliers are storng with them but the tools are junk screw drivers would break or the knife would break something always broke. With this Gerber everything has held up so far. I am a firefighter/search and rescue so I put things to the test and I need reliable tools I can count on and I can Count on the Gerber.I highly recommend this to any emergency personnel or first responder it will be there when you need it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, February 22, 2014
I like what I got, and it is true that the black oxide coating that they apply to the product does come off on your hands for a while, so beware of what you're wearing when you first use it.

ARRAY(0xa0cc272c)