Gerber 22-41770 Artifact Pocket Keychain Tool
Size Name: Gerber 22-41770Change
Price:$7.24 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 26, 2013
Size Name: Gerber 22-41770Verified Purchase
I just got a one inch stab wound in my leg from this product being in my pocket. The defect is in the design. Once a key ring is attached to the tool, if you press the key ring foreward away from the screwdriver tip and twist it towards the knife it will pop that knife portion right open. Imagine pulling something out of a tight pocket or sitting down and causing that twist to happen. This is what I am assuming happended to me. Blood everywhere!!!! I have owened it for several years and it finally got me. It did not get loose over time. If you have one you can carefully try this twisting action at home and I doubt you will ever cary one of these in your pocket again with the blade installed. I emailed Gerber in the hopes that they will re-design this product to make it safer. I attached a video to this review to show you how this can happen. Be safe!
on October 3, 2008
Size Name: Gerber 22-41770
SAVE THE THUMBS. I love my Gerber Artifact tool, but there's one issue. The blade arm is difficult to swing out from its safety position for use. After weeks of daily use, I learned the hard way and sliced my thumb to the bone trying to open it. As I type this, my thumb is hovering unused and bandaged over the keyboard. Since then, I think I've figured out a safe way to open the blade arm and I wanted to share it to try to spare the thumbs of others -- use a coin to pry the blade arm out from its safety position. A quarter fits perfectly in the slot near the key chain loop on the tool. Stay safe.
on June 10, 2010
Size Name: Gerber 22-41770Verified Purchase
I read the other reviews that mentioned that it's easy to cut yourself with the blade and thought "Well, I'm not that stupid plus why did they still give it 5 stars? I'll buy it anyway."

Once I received the Gerber Artifact I immediately tried to open up the blade - being cautious due to what I had read- and, indeed, found it extremely hard to open up. The lock seems to keep the blade arm in place pretty well but it is poorly designed and a pain to get open (one reviewer said he always opens it with a coin). Nevertheless I opened it with all fingers still in tact.

I immediately closed it and found the closing lock to work ok even though they should put some kind of description on the package because it's not that obvious for either locking mechanism. After that I tried out the other tools and they all seem to work pretty well. I was pretty pleased even with the few obvious flaws.

Cut to 15 minutes later: I had to cut out something and jumped at the opportunity to use my new tool. The blade begrudgingly opened and I put it to use. Afterwards I went to close it and the closing mechanism didn't work so I gave it a little pressure to close it - and BAM! sliced my finger to the bone.

Needless to say I am that stupid and the other reviewers were definitely right about this product. Hopefully the good people at Gerber peruse these reviews every once in awhile and start putting their designers to work on Artifact 2.0.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 24, 2009
Size Name: Gerber 22-41770
Imagine reaching into your pocket for your keys and feeling a sharp pain followed by the warmth of flowing blood. This was my experience with this pocket tool, a long deep gash down one of my fingers that refused to stop bleeding. As a working plumber I thought this would be a good pocket tool to carry in addition to my multi tool for when I have crawled into a tight spot. Until they come up with a more secure lock my artifact will be just that, a artifact in my tool box.
on November 14, 2008
Size Name: Gerber 22-41770
Awesome look and feel. Having a nail puller around all the time can be surprisingly useful not only for nails but for removing screws and bolts that are stuck or aren't threading out, and for prying all kinds of things apart. This helps make this tool a very good complement to when you have you big tool with you also, where as most micro tools are pretty worthless when you also have your bigger/faster/nicer/more productive tool with you.

The big downside is the knife is way to hard to open and every copy of this took I have seen at least one of the screws on the inside of the knife are not in straight as if all of them were threaded badly. Also they use screws that have a crazy small what seems like a torx head so its not very easy to try and adjust anything (I have at least 50 torx bits and non are this small).

The drivers on this could also be better, I find that both the flat head and the philips head manage often to just barely not work well enough, maybe a micro socket driver would have been a better choice, but then you would have to worry about keeping track of bits.

I think exacto knifes are awesomely sharp and useful but tend to be a lot more expensive, not as common, and have a lesser variety then razor blades, but I have a ton of razor blades so the exacto part was probably what sold me on this item.

This tool also has some heft to it which can both be a postive since it has a solid feel at makes some tools like the nail puller more useful but not always something you want in your ultra portable tool.

If I was going to buy only one (and normally a person only carries one small tool) I would suggest getting Gerbers moneyclip/razor blade combo knife which is probably my favorite razorblade out their since it so light, nice looking, doesn't scream tool/knife, and is dirt cheap to get great blades for like the Stanley HD and the Lenox/Irwin blades. That tool has no other extra tools on it though, hopefully Gerber will combine these two tools so I can have more micro tools from them :)
on May 21, 2010
Size Name: Gerber 22-41770
The principle drawback of this tool is that most attempts to open the blade will result in a severe finger laceration. The action for opening the blade is very stiff and the only way to get any leverage puts the fingers very close to the blade. Any minor slip while will result in the razor slashing a finger and a nasty, bleeding cut.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2011
Size Name: Gerber 22-41770Verified Purchase
Yes I have actually bought the Gerber Artifact from Amazon. ...and I agree with the negative reviews--this tool can cause you to bleed out.

While I'm not an expert, I'm what you might consider a multitool freak. ..ok, more of a hoarder. ...I own a couple of Swiss Army knives, 3 leathermans, one Swisstool, and the Gerber MP800 and Shard). Saw the Gerber Artifact and was highly intrigued. Pluses: the design is very innovative, and you have a number of basic tools included screwdrivers, bottle opener, etc., in a compact design, and at a value price.

...but I'm not an idiot and I've come to the conclusion that this is one dangerous tool that should be recalled by the Gerber, or ordered recalled by the Consumer Products Safety Commission. The problem is two-fold: 1) the blade itself, and 2) the design of the mount for the blade. Contrary to what some reviewers say, in my opinion the blade lock itself is just fine, and is secure..that is, IF you lock it properly. One design flaw is that the lock will actually stay open or will partially lock open in several positions. I pricked myself in the palm once when the blade was not fully closed, and then a couple days later, was putting my keys in my pocket (had the tool on my keychain, as suggested), and jabbed my finger straight to the bone...all because while I DID have the knife blade closed, it wasn't 'fully' closed. It clicked into place, but not completely, and had shifted open to the 45 degree position. Blood was literaly squirting out, and to have a couple of stitches. Also, Gerber implies that the blade can be opened with one hand/finger. ...real bad idea. If your finger slips while opening it with just your thumb, you will surely slice it open because your moving finger will be perfectly positioned and moving directly towards the EDGE of the knife.

Plus...who in their right mind would put a #11 hobby knife (an exacto knife--virtually a razor blade), on the OUTSIDE of a tool? In addition to it's inherent surgical sharpness, a #11 hobby knife has a very sharp point. So....I'm giving this tool a 2 out of 5 stars, and ONLY because the other features are innovative. Otherwise I'd give it one star. But don't keep this around your house or in your toolbox. You will get much more versatility (and safety) from any basic Swiss Army Knife.
on October 15, 2011
Size Name: Gerber 22-41770Verified Purchase
I wanted to add a compact and effective tool to my every day carry system. When I saw the Gerber Pocket Keychain tool, I thought it was exactly what I was looking for all this time.

Sorry... To put it succinctly, it pretty much sucks.

Some of the functions work well, some great, and some not at all.

What sucks? Pretty much the screwdrivers. The philips head is pretty much useless, and the standard flat head is barely usable. And, it looks small. It feels small in your hand. BUT, and it's a big but, it feels HUGE in your pocket. I carry a 4Sevens Mini-123 in my pocket, and barely notice it. This Gerber tool, however, feels like I'm carrying a full-size screwdriver in my pocket. And, it's not much bigger than a 4Sevens Mini-123 flashlight (which is a totally slammin' keychain flashlight, by the way).

What works? Well, the bottle opener and nail remover are aces. And, it does an okay job as a pry tool. I think the exacto knife works well, but you do have to be careful. It does not open like a Spyderco, that's for sure, but I've found that the knife opens okay. The blade is screwed in tight, which is a good thing, and is a bit stiff to open. That's a plus since it does keep it from unfolding in your pocket.

The screwdrivers are soooooo bad that it knocks at least two, if not three, stars off the product. Not to mention the fact that it feels like you're carrying a giant screwdriver in your pocket.

Still looking for the perfect EDC tool.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 25, 2012
Size Name: Gerber 22-41770Verified Purchase
I had my eye on this tool for a few weeks before deciding to buy it for use at work. On paper this is a great idea and a useful thing to have on your key ring. However after just a few hours of use reality set it.

- The tool has a slight curve to it. This means that no matter how you fit it in your pocket or with your other keys there will always be one sharp piece such as a screwdriver point to dig into your leg or catch your hand
- The latch on the knife is flimsy at best. I managed to have it open twice just by walking around with it on my key ring. When the device is opened on purpose the liner lock is so weak even a small force causes the liner lock to fail. Considering the tool uses x-acto blades the latch needs to be very secure since its so easy to get cut with a razor blade.
- The construction of the tool also leaves something to be desired. The coating wore off quickly just with normal pocket wear and screw holding the blade on is so weak that while trying to score cardboard it sheared off.
on October 13, 2010
Size Name: Gerber 22-41770Verified Purchase
I admit this was a just an impulse buy that threw in the cart with a slightly larger pocket Multi-tool. I didn't do much looking at it since I've never owned or used a Gerber Knife I didn't like. I just bought it because I liked the idea of a super compact key-chain tool that I could use to open packages from Amazon when I don't happen to have a real knife in my pocket. (And an extra gizmo never hurts).

My first thought when I opened the package was "Wow that's huge" it has the same closed length as the Gerber Crucial that I received in the same shipment, this could be ok but based on the odd shape I can't imagine how it might dig into my leg if I actually dared attach it to my keys. My second thought was "well as long as it's handy I'll at least put it on my key-chain and give it a try". When I attempted to open the small blade (a disposable X-acto that comes with replacements) I couldn't get it open. It is true that I'm not a body builder, but I am a bass player, so I do have decently strong fingers. With the slightest hint of oil from a tortilla chip it might as well have been welded shut, to get it to open the first time I had to pry it open with the screwdriver from the Gerber Crucial. Now that I have all the chip residue off my hands, if I use both hands I can get it open, but why would anyone want a key-chain tool that takes two grown-man hands to open?

Before I get hecklers saying they got the same tool and it opened like butter, I will admit that this may just be a defect in this one tool, I will be removing the lock spring with the small nubbin that keeps the think closed, If I remove some of the nubbin and take a little spring out of the lock I might make it useful yet, but overall I call this a failure, I guess even Gerber isn't perfect 100% of the time.

So if you just want the bottle opener and miniature pry-bar go for it, however if you ever intend on using the knife and don't want to modify it or carry a screwdriver to get it open I suggest you pass and find something else.

(I'm sorry Gerber I do still love you, but I know you can do better)

See 1 answered question