5.0 out of 5 stars Great knife
Great knife. Sizable with out being 'huge' it weighs less than a Ka-bar mule which is nice. The blade is sharp straight out of the box.

Published 21 months ago by PepsiJedi

3.0 out of 5 stars Had some problems
love the size and price, but the blade was really loose and the blade did not keep an edge well. kinda a chinky knife for the price.
Published 3 months ago by Nicholas Tettis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knife, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Gerber 31-000372 Icon Tanto Knife, Serrated Edge (Tools & Home Improvement)

I only have one complaint, it's stored in the pocket via the clip "Point up" when closed. If the knife isn't 100% closed, or if something in your pocket hits the thumb stud or even you do when drawing it out, the point might come out a milimeter and 'catch' on your pocket or flesh.

I'm careful when I pull out a folding combat knife. Just by nature, but if you're distracted or NOT carreful, it might get you, and as sharp as it is if it does get you, you're going to need stitches.

As for opening, it opens lightning quick and locks back. Online you hear one or two guys saying thiers don't lock correctly but mine is fine. I give it 5 stars, the 'point up' orientation is the only 'flaw' in my mind. one that would be 100% fixed if it was mounted point down in the pocket. There'd be no way for it to 'catch' and open up. Sadly there is no way to change the clip around.

As long as you're paying attention when you draw your knife. Can't get better for a pocket knife. If you don't... she might bite. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty Meets Beast, July 20, 2013
Rugged, Tactical, and a reliable workhorse. Needless to say the Gerber Icon Tanto has both beauty and an inner monster. This knife has a great tanto point at 4.25 inch long, truly a perfect self defense knife. The deployment is swift & excellent. The weight is pretty darn light knowing that it is a large folder in your pocket. The grip of the knife stays on your palms without worrying about it slipping off. I would definetely recommend this folder as a hefty EDC & a Self Defense back up. ..And put it this way, i am confident to say that i would take this knife to battle or war with me at anyday!.. CQD COMBAT INSTRUCTOR

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money Love the blade, January 30, 2012
Xof "Xof" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
Great knife, sharp blade and sturdy! It's a full size knife and even-though there is a pocket clip, it's not really meant to stay in your pocket, more like on your belt and def. hard to conceal! It opens very fast and smooth. The handle portion has lots of texture to ensure a good grip. Overall great value!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, August 7, 2012
One great knife for 26 dollars. It is Nice and solid. Blade doesnt move from side to side at all in locked position. Great lightweight aluminum handle. Feels great in your hand. Opens smoothly. And sharp as hell right out of the box like a good knife should be. If it was american made I would order 5 more. But awesome knife for being made in Taiwan or wherever, especially for 26 bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, April 16, 2013
the knife is so good looking ..man..i can really explain it ...it's surpprise me for real solid aluminum handle and the edge is scarring

5.0 out of 5 stars Among my all-time favorites!, April 14, 2013
I have been on a seemingly never-ending quest to find the perfect EDC for many years now, and have amassed a collection consisting of dozens of knives that have costs me anywhere from $1 to over $100. I always come back to the same two top favorites, however: this Gerber Icon and the Camillus 6.75 Ti. Ironically, both of these knives costs me under $40, which has definitely taught me that greater price often doesn't mean greater quality: even among same brand items. The Camillus, because of it's small size, is my EDC in most public places, but for around my own property or visits to other appropriate private places, this Gerber Icon is my preferred EDC knife, hands down, and among my favorite large knives in general. I must qualify "large," as I speak only to it's length, because it's weight is one reason it is a favorite, as it weighs half of what it looks like it "should" weigh due to it's length and apparent volume.

It may lack spring-assist, but it is not necessary at all, because the action is like a dream, and it opens without even requiring a slight flick of the wrist: a sure thumb flick, with the knife oriented in any position (even with gravity working against you), is all that is necessary to deploy this blade rapidly, solidly, and consistently.

The blade itself comes very sharp, and is made razor sharp readily and quickly. I bought mine at Wal-Mart about a year ago, and have sharpened it only once, and that was when I first purchased it to give it a razor-sharp edge. I just effortless cut hair from my arm a moment ago. I don't put it through heavy duty work (another reviewer said his bent using it as a pry-bar: I can imagine it did!), since I don't consider pocket knives heavy-duty tools. If I need to pry, I use a crowbar-or even a large screwdriver-not my $30 pocket knife, or even my $100+ knives for that matter, since I'd like to have them all for years to come. Unless it's life-or-death, I see no reason to abuse even a quality knife. For moderate and light duty, however, it has not so much as significantly dulled, let alone chipped, bent, or broken, in the past year. It is certainly an intimidating blade, and one I'd trust my life to in a self-defense situation. The grip is like a dream. It's not just comfortable and sure, but I actually enjoy touching it, and it's construction clearly contributes to the overall light weight of the knife.

The only complaint I've had is that the fittings on mine need to be tightened every so often (weeks to months). I don't know if it's just a problem with mine, or if it's because I often use it atypically in martial arts practice routines that involve a great deal of rapid, powerful slashing maneuvers. Whichever it is, this activity tends to slightly loosen the two main fittings holding the blade to the handle (it's so slight, that without building a great deal of inertia, I probably wouldn't perceive it). I have to use two star-bit tools to tighten them every so often, and it's a slight pain since I have to hold one still while turning the other, but not enough to make me take even a star away from this incredible knife. It also is never loose enough to cause me concerns regarding its overall integrity. I also wish the clip had alternate attachment points, so one could orient it for either left-handed carry or point-down carry (I'm a lefty). Again, the knife is so awesome overall, that isn't enough to take even a half a star away from this superior pocket knife!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lean, mean, edc machine., February 1, 2013
This knife was a chance meeting. A friend in need of cash introduced us. I have had many Gerbers but none I would carry as my all around. It really struck me when I held this jewel, it was not related to any Gator. My Cold Steels won't hold an edge like this 30 dollar knife. I really think the design is near flawless. A cam assist would perfect this knife. Don't drop 100 plus for a Zero Tolerance or the like. This is the knife that put my others back in the drawer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Mine, February 1, 2013
I just purchased this knife, cant wait to get it! I have had the Icon drop point knife for 2 years and I still use it everyday for work at my warehouse. Its such a reliable knife! Big sturdy handle and a blade that locks in place very sturdy and is very fast. Couldn't be more happy with it, you wont regret buying it

5.0 out of 5 stars At $24 it deserves 5 stars, June 21, 2014
Probably the best $24 I've ever spent on a knife. Nice, sharp blade made of modestly good steel in a well executed tanto style. Not too serrated. Aluminum handle is slim, sturdy, light & grippy. I have long lean hands and its a fine fit. Only had it for the weekend and after 2 days of steady use any stiffnes in the lock & blade pivot have worn themselves in while leaving no excess play. Its a long knife when closed but the lack of bulk & weight make it surprisingly easy to carry. The 9.24" open length gives great reach & leverage. Complaints about the quality of this knife or its Chinese provenance? Even German made Bokers get equivalent reviews and cost far more. For an attractive & sturdy aluminum bodied tanto with lifetime warranty for the cost of 2 movie tickets I'm sold on the Icon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Had some problems, June 13, 2014