Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Gerber 31-000620 Crucial Tool with Corkscrew, Green
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on October 24, 2012
I carry a Leatherman Wave and due to my declining jobsite visits, I decided to downgrade to a tool that still had a lot of what I need, but could be clipped on my pocket instead of in a pouch on my belt. This tool is promising in that the tools offered meet most of my needs. Upon receipt, the tool felt less substantial than what I was accustom to using, I gave it a go anyway. The feel of the handles is OK, the locking nature of the blades and screwdrivers is OK. The pliers are not the worst, but not nearly what I would like to have, they are not nearly thick enough for me to have the confidence to really use them and trust them day to day. Same goes for the screwdrivers, the flat screwdriver isn't flimsy, but wouldn't hold up to too much abuse like the beefier Leatherman and the phillips driver is some weird compromise to get the bit on the tool, the cross isn't symmetric, one is shorter than the other and so you end up with something akin to a flat blade with a small protrusion in the middle that doesn't fit phillips screws well at all.
on May 21, 2014
So, I bought this as an alternate for my normal EDC pocket knife, thinking that having the pliers, and screwdrivers, etc. would be very handy in certain situations. As an EDC tool, it's handy, but fairly heavy. I like it, but I certainly don't carry it with me every day. My standard pocket knife (Buck Rush) is still my EDC and this is my ADC (alternate-day carry) to be brought instead when needed.

The knife part is great, the pliers are also really good, so that is where this tool shines. The screwdriver heads are less useful. They're not really large enough to handle very large screws, and not small enough to handle mini screws, so they're sort of an in-between size which I guess could be right depending on what you usually work on. They're handy, just not as handy as I'd hoped.

The parts that really let this tool down are the corkscrew and bottle opener. To be honest, this is hands-down the absolute worst bottle opener I've ever owned, and I've had some pretty bad ones. I can open bottles easier with a counter top, belt buckle, or dollar bill than I can with this bottle opener. The corkscrew is ok, but it's hard to get leverage since half of the "handle" is the blade of the bottle opener which is very thin and not very comfortable. It works, but it's only good in a pinch. Not something you'd use to open bottles every day.

So, to sum it up, the "tools" and "knife" part are pretty good if not great. The "barware" part is terrible and basically unusable. Of course, your mileage may vary...
on August 1, 2014
Gerber used to make high quality knives and tools It has since been purchased by some other big name knife company and now makes crap products with the Gerber name on them. The main knife was "Sharp" but hat lots of dings and knicks in the blade. The bottle opener is thin and weak and bent when trying to open a regular beer bottle. Same goes for cork screw for a wine bottle. Seems like they used weak cheap steel on those components. The colored finish is thin and already wearing off. If you want something you don't care about (but at this price there are other options) to toss in the glove box, tool box or tackle box for random use then this is OK. If you want a daily handyman tool, stick with a Leatherman.
on May 29, 2013
I did a lot of research on this tool before ordering it. The original Crucial with the carabiner was nice but when I saw this one, I thought it would rival my little Swiss army knife clone. With the pocket clip, it fits in my jeans and I don't even notice it's there, but the tool is solid and actually pretty substantial for its size. The blade opens with one hand quite easily and locks solidly into place. It was razor sharp right out of the box. The drivers are a little small, but I just open the tool part-way and it gives the cross-head driver a lot of reach! The pliers are very well made and I like that they are so thin and yet tight, sturdy and shaped perfectly for small to medium jobs. I would have like them better if they were spring-loaded but for how I've used them so far, it hasn't made much difference anyway. The bottle opener and a corkscrew are very strong as well! Yes, they don't lock in place but that isn't a big deal to me. It would have been neat if Gerber could have figured out a way to make a can-opener/bottle-opener combo, but it's still great (It almost is, to be honest!). I love how the blade feels in my hand, and how it has both the straight and serrated edges. I think it increases its functionality. It really is a good marriage of small size and capable tools. I know people have made comments and done videos saying it's not a good "survival tool" but for me and the fishing, hiking and occasional camping I do, I think it's a great multi-tool! Some like the carabiner, some like the strap cutter, but I really liked that mine comes with the bottle opener and corkscrew. To each his/her own! The Gerber Crucial looks great and functions well! I highly recommend it!
on April 18, 2014
This Gerber Crucial Tool is an OK tool but I would only buy it on a good sale. Positively it features many locking tools and a selection of tools in a compact package. The quality is not top notch but appears OK. You won't get top quality steel blades. The bottle opener takes some effort to get it to work since it doesn't seem to get a good grip on the bottle cap. The pliers also work for some jobs but I don't know how strong they are and don't appear "industrial strength".
on March 7, 2014
This thing is aesthetically pleasing, but it's very cheaply made. Opening the various tools, the unit makes a sandy grinding noise with lots of friction. The tools don't have a spot for your fingernail, so they're very difficult to open. Also, the product that arrived had nicks and scratches on the black part as if it had been used or dropped or thrown around. In a pinch, this would work, but I'd recommend spending a bit more money on a nicer setup or considering another brand.
on January 30, 2013
Granted its not as expensive as other multi tools and there is a good reason, its not built like them. The materials and workmanship remind me of the box store holiday gift sets you see around Christmas. You know the ones that are over in the mens clothing areas that sit until after Christmas and they go half off.

If you getting this for a gift, spend the extra $10 -$20 and get a good leatherman or sog that can be used without fear of breaking.
on April 11, 2014
I love the look of the tool, but the corkscrew is light duty and I would only use it only in an emergency and then very carefully! The philip screwdriver is not very functional. In general, I would not use this for my "go to" pocket tool.
on May 10, 2014
It is not heavy duty but it looks nice is functional for a light duty application. Will not replace a Leather Man Super tool I carry but for the wife and her wine drinking horse back riding buddies this is great.
on April 15, 2015
I use this tool at work almost every day. I bought this new and when I first received the product, it came with scuffs, nicks, and a big scratch. I contacted Amazon and we got me a replacement one, however that one was damaged as well. I just gave up and dealt with it, given I would wear it down just by using it. It's been about a year since I bought this, and it's proven to be very helpful. However the flathead is easy to chip, and the bolts holding the tool together are becoming loose. I've tightened them once already, but they get loose very quickly and it's really annoying. I feel like the thing is going to fall apart when I use the knife. I expected a higher quality product from Gerber.

See 1 answered question