Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on October 22, 2011
It has good weight. Palm fronds dont stand a chance. Clearing trails through the jungle is easy. It holds an edge well. It has a comfortable handle. The full tang is nice.

My sheath came with a tear in it. The whetstone that comes with it is not going to work on the curved back part. The stone is also course so if you want a finer edge its not going to be effective. Here the salt air is highly corrosive. Where ever it was not painted, it developed surface rusts in about an hour. Probably wont be an issue in more normal conditions.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2011
I always liked the look of the Woodsman Pal and when this was released I knew I had to get it. It works well at everythings it's supposed to do. Easy to cut through brush, cut smaller pieces of wood for tinder, and the hook works really well at breaking through branches just by simply pulling. I had to cut down some large vines this past weekend and the Machete Pro made it really easy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2011
1. The Gator Pro arrived with the sheath seam already apart. Rather than sending it back, I taped it up with Gorilla HD duct tape. The sheath requires you to pivot the machete 90 degrees around a rivet/pin so it's very secure but somewhat awkward if you have the sheath on your belt. I sent Gerber an email & they sent me a new sheath.

2. This is a modified copy of the Woodman's Pal Classic (about $80 with nylon sheath & stone). The differences are: narrower blade, different hook shape, lighter weight (18 oz vice 23 oz), the handle (the W. Pal uses wood), and the sheath. No way for me to evaluate the steel. The W. Pal comes in: Classic, Compact, Military, and Long Reach/extended variations (plus special editions intended for display). The W. Pal won't fit in the Gerber sheath (too bad since the W. Pal nylon sheath is even more awkward to use). The Long Reach extended W. Pal is 22" at 15 oz.

3. The straight edge is a double bevel while the hook is a single bevel (chisel cut).

4. A round dual grit stone works well.

5. Anti-zombie? Way too short and way too close with no thrusting capability. A short Yari would be better (or even a modified Silky KATANABOY folding saw). Maybe a W. Pal Long Reach Extra with a 19-27" handle (still needs a sharp forward point)? I'd always want to be way beyond arm reach (realizing the weapon of choice would be a suppressed 22 with a laser & light).

6. The best? The W. Pal Extended Reach. Longer & lighter. Assuming cost is not the primary criteria. Watching the video reviews, folks are trying these tools out on wood that is way too big. These are brush & vine tools, not axes.
review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2011
It is incredible. I have never used it for anything. I do not even have a reason to own it. I take part in literally zero activities that would necessitate this tool. Nonetheless, I am completely satisfied simply knowing I own it.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2014
I took the time to fully utilize the Gator before commenting, I’ll be comparing it to a standard $11 dollar machete from hardware store I purchase many years ago.
I used the Gator to cut down chocking vines and brush on my 25 acres of Pennsylvania property, so it got a honest workout.
Pro’s: Well made, good sheath, the hook proves useful at times, strong thick sharp chisel blade.
Con’s: the slight curvature of the cutting blade was mostly a disadvantage to cutting, although sharp it didn’t cut nearly well as a standard machete, the attached sharpening stone is practically useless.
On a scale of 1 to 10 whereas a standard inexpensive machete is a 10 the Gator is at best a 4.
If I hadn’t alternate it by painting the handle blaze orange so it wouldn’t get lost in the high weeds before using it, I would have shipped it back. The awesome looking Gator may look like it would cut down a Redwood but there are much, much better choices.
on December 7, 2011
I first bought the K-bar parang, which has great reviews. That tool was razor sharp and a tad on the heavy side, along with leather straps on the sheath which did not fall out of the way when using it. I barely had the machete a few minutes and nearly cut one strap off as the machete grazed it. I gave it some time to think about the potential for personal injury and felt it was just too risky for me vs what I was expecting to do with that tool.

I happened across a Gerber brush thinning tool at Cabelas and really liked the rubber grip. Doing some reading I found there were a lot of problems with those handles breaking.

This seemed more in line with what I was looking for, and much safer to use. I have used this for a few days and find it very comfy, easy to use and easy to carry.

I had read the reviews on the lanyard being too small, and too quickly decided to put my own on with 550 cord. I then read the instructions (always a last resort), which stated that was to protect you hand from going into the blade, not for attaching to your wrist. I modified the 550 cord to serve the same purpose. You are to loop the lanyard over the handle and then put your hand between the handle and the cord.

No complaints at this point and worth the extra expense to return the K-bar.

Great for going through the woods full of vines and stickers and the occasional downed tree on the path.
I believe it states it can chop through a 2" diameter branch in one whack. I am not sure what type of hardwood I used this on, but it took about 80 hits to get through a 2.5' branch that had felled.

Very pleased with this product and would recommend it.
on February 3, 2014
This thing is taking care of business but I always regret not buying American made. Shortly after getting this, I compared to a friends Woodmans Pal and realized he made the better choice. Everything from the feel, metal quality, to hook size, the Woodmans will easily be my next and final choice. The Gerber will get it done in the short run and will get its fair share of use.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2015
Very substandard construction. Was sharp and light, but made cheaply. While I was cutting brush(at an ambient temp of 10 degrees F) with it, on it's first day of being out of the package, I began to chop a 3 inch willow and it snapped. Right at the base of the blade. You're better off getting yourself a Woodsman Pal. My father has used one for years and had no problems with it(doing the same thing as I was, when this one broke). Very disappointing, because Gerber was once a quality name.
on January 10, 2013
Is it a good as a knife? no
Is it a good machete? not really
Is it an anti-zombie weapon? ...certainly not

What it is, is an excellent tool. This blade can hack and rip just about any brush, and small limbs/branches that you'll come across. It's also an excellent chopper due to its thick blade (thicker than most machetes but much slimmer than something like a Ka-Bar fighting knife). I wouldn't take this blade on any long camping trips by its self (you'll really want a good knife to accompany it), but I definitely see the usefulness of this tool.

Also, the sheath is really nice, and the grip is extremely comfortable and shock absorbent. Also, someone on here said that it's not full tang... this is not true, just take a look at the bottom screw of the tool (right at the bottom of the grip). There are always at least two bolts through the tang, and there are only two in the handle of this blade, so that should give you an idea. You'll have no worries swinging this thing with all your might, the tang reaches the bottom.

That being said, I wish it was just a bit longer (maybe only an inch or two) or that the main blade reached further up, so it really could replace a good machete. As it is, the main blade is only 8" long which is far too short for my preference in machete. Also, the butt and the guard are made of plastic... while they seem sturdy enough, I'd prefer metal (especially for the butt which could be used for hammering if it wasn't plastic).

Overall, this was a very good purchase though, especially for the price!
on January 2, 2014
If you need a bushwhacking machete, look elsewhere. If you want a good-size blade with a nice weight to it for general campsite use or light to moderate trail maintenance, this is a great piece to use.

Note that it comes from the factory in a dull state, but includes a whetstone for honing the blade.