on May 17, 2012
When I first ordered this canteen, my first thought was it is nothing more that a re-styled military canteen for kids. Well, I was wrong. This new canteen, introduced by Bear Grylls, is one of the best canteens I have ever owned. It is constructed of a tough plastic and holds more water than the standard military canteen. It easily goes in and out of it's nylon pouch, which is made of a quick drying material and is easy to carry on your belt. The canteen cup is colored orange, which I suspect is to make it easier to see in the jungle or woods and to be used as a signal device, in a survival situation. All in all this is a well thought out product and I highly recommend it to not only campers but for kids who are into scouting.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 16, 2012
This felt like a great product when I received it. But I soon discovered that one of the two I bought leaked pretty badly. I didn't feel like going through the hassle of returning it so I found a rubber washer that was about the right size, and pushed it up into the cap, now it is totally watertight.

I'd advise testing this out as soon as you receive it, and before you get rid of the shipping box.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2014
Pros: Good size canteen, nice carrying sheath, metal cup looks durable and handles are surprisingly sturdy. Rubber coating on handles seems like it will keep you from burning your fingers. The sheath has a well sized and sturdy looking belt loop so that you can strap it to the outside of a pack for easy access.

Cons: This leaked out of the cap when it first arrived - no matter how tightly I closed the lid. I went to my local ACE Hardware and bought an O-ring to push up inside the cap - now it's water tight. The size that worked for me was: "1-3/8X1-3/16X3/32 #45 O-RING" rubber washer/gasket Stock #35759B; bar code on the plastic packaging is: 0 3715535759 8. The cost of the O ring was $0.50.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2012
Upon initial inspection, I found this to be a great product albeit extremely unattractive. I also find the product to be of solid construction and feel it will last a lifetime. I appreciate the double stitching on the neoprene jacket.
I did do a couple modifications to help "fix the ugly" and make it more tactical and useful in a real world/backpacking scenario.
Here is what I did step by step:
1) I blacked out the orange markings on the carrying case/jacket.
2) I cut off the plastic orange cap holder from the bottom and left the top attached trimming and rounding it at about 2 inches length.
3) I centered a hole in the plastic cap holder
4) I tied 550 paracord to the bottle neck in the same grove the lip holder used to ride.
5) By coincidence and shear stroke of genius, I found that the Vinturi 5-Pack Filter Screens happens to fit perfectly in the neck of the bottle with a excellent tight fit. I recommend you get some. It's the best part of my mod.
6) I drilled a small whole into the neck of the filter and used a fishing swivel to hook to the cord (so it is captured and slide-able) and clipped the other end to the filter.
7) I tied a stop knot with the 550 and placed a 4mm brass washer on over the knot slipped it thru the cap holder placing another 4mm brass washer, then finally tying a final lock knot on top.
8) I melted the paracord ends to prevent fraying and to ensure the knot will not come undone.
9) I blackened the remaining portion of the lid holder b/c it remained ugly orange.
10) I removed the survival guide (comes with it) placing it in a small plastic bag and putting in the jacket below the cup, and have used the side pocket to now house water purification tablets I have shrink wrapped to fit. I have also placed a backup magnesium fire rod in the pocket as well. The fire striker will help you boil your finely strained water.

By doing this I have taken away all the ugly visible orange (yes the cup is orange but it is concealed in the case and will blacken overtime the more I use it on the fire. This also makes it much more tactical for those of you who don't want to given away by your neon orange canteen. Additionally, you will have a perfect fitting, fine mesh screen for which to keep junk out of the water when filling up in the field.
I hope this helps you to make a decision to not only purchase item this but to have a higher functioning water system by your side for when you are on the go with these small but insightful (I think) modifications.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 12, 2012
Exciting as a "go anywhere, do anything" minimalist cook set is, in practice it's more cumbersome than a traditional backpacking cook set. Also, it gains very little except aesthetics over the milspec version.

Now, I know it's supposed be a minimalist piece of kit, but you could save weight and maybe even headaches with a platypus bottle and GSI Minimalist cook set. The GSI can be used in conjunction with a folding stove as well; for times when a fire isn't an option. The canteen's shape makes it harder to use on an open fire than one might think, and the handles are coated with a rubber that melts if it gets too hot, like in a fire.

Military canteens have a propensity to taste nasty after a few dozen uses, and are hard to clean due to their shape. This is true of the canteen as well, but it for some reason came tasting of chemicals and new plastic. The cup too, it smelt so metallic when I first purchased it that I was at loath to use it. A few washes later and it smells better, but why wouldn't that be taken care of before it was sold. First impressions and all.

So bottom line: nice, but better options exist.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 23, 2014
Loved this canteen at first. Was given to me as a xmas gift. Had it all of three weeks and used it twice before the canteen itself broke. I had read reviews that it had leaked on other people and noticed that mine did as well. Just a few drops if you gently held it on its side and shook it. When I went to hand tighten it, the entire cap broke where the top of the cap meets the mouth of the canteen. Very dissatisfied. Tho I am very glad I found this out before I needed to actually depend on this product. I have other gerber/bear grills products and am happy with their quality but I can't say the same for this one.
on January 8, 2013
This is above and beyond any canteen I've ever owned. The build on it isn't cheap. All the materials are very strong. The price may be steep for a canteen, but this is worth every penny! Every piece on this is very well crafted. Make sure to wash it a few times though just to get the plastic smell out. That's almost a given with any new product though. I'd rather clean it myself then have the factory take care of it as some other reviews suggested. Zero leaks. The other cheap army surplus canteens are such cheap plastic and the smell doesn't go away, but this thing is seriously so durable. I can't express it enough how well made this is. Can't wait to take it out backpacking and hunting. I'll write an update after I use it on my winter camping trip in a few weeks!
on November 24, 2012
I thought it was alittle pricey, but it comes with me on all backpacking trips, and has done the job. It is well constructed, light, and the tin cup is good too. Its a canteen, what can I say.
on December 28, 2014
If you're like me, you almost filled your pants with Bear Gryll's favorite "emergency beverage" when you saw how EXPENSIVE this thing is. I even got mine at WalMart and it was still $30! Everybody and their Aunt Tilly said this thing was so worth the money and the most durable canteen ever, so I ponied up the cash. Of course, just like many others have stated, this $30 canteen leaked like my grandpa's adult diaper at a keg party. Thankfully, A. Smith reviewed this on here and was kind enough to share the fix..a #45 rubber o-ring from Ace Hardware measuring 1-3/8X1-3/16X3/32. It's sad that after dropping $30 on a canteen, you still have to find and buy a $1.06 o-ring!

As for the cup included in the kit, I actually like it. I'd like it more if it were properly sized to mil-spec so you could sleeve a G.I. canteen stove over it, but it is what it is. For those thinking this cup is "painted" orange, know that we have this neat thing call "anodized aluminum". Anodizing is an electrochemical process that converts the metal surface into a decorative, durable, corrosion-resistant, anodic oxide finish. Aluminum oxide is not applied to the surface like paint or plating, but is fully integrated with the underlying aluminum substrate, so it cannot chip or peel. It has a highly ordered, porous structure that allows for secondary processes such as coloring and sealing. The cup seems to be quite sturdy and doesn't get all blacked up when you cook with it.

The cover that comes with the kit is more durable than you would think at first glance. It does suck to have that huge "BG" logo in blaze orange on the front of it. (unless maybe your name is Bob Goosepoop or Brian Gobstopper) Blacking it out with a marker is harder than you'd think, but can eventually be done to some extent. The tiny sidepouch on the cover that contains what I like to refer to as "the most obvious survival tips you could ever print up and shove into a $30 canteen" would've better served as a place to hold a ferro rod. The "info" provided in this little pamphlet was written by Captain Obvious and is sort of like sticking a small sheet inside a pouch on a blowtorch that says, "Do not shove torch up your butt". Duh! A real plus WOULD'VE been some molle straps on the back instead of the narrow belt loop that you get, but I suppose you could rig a shoulder strap or lash it your pack somehow.

Bottom line, I probably could've bought 8 or 9 military surplus canteens at my local surplus store for the price of this thing, but this is built quite sturdy and is larger and holds more water. Keep in mind also, that if you're adding this to your pack or bag, you're adding another easy 3 pounds of weight when this thing is full of water. (or urine)
on June 30, 2014
Yes I watched that insane dude drinkin urin and sleepin in camels - no I did not wanna be a bear grylls equipment dude either
But I gotta say Gerber did a good job designing this product - I kinda like the cover itself ( take a marker and black out name ), light, tough, good tight fit ( maybe a little TOO tight ), strong enough to hold full canteen without floppin around, secure fit to belt
Kinda like the cup too - well made, boils water well, nice grippy handles, folds up nice n tight, big capacity
And I kinda like the canteen itself - huge water capability, nice feel in hand, NO LEAKS, at all ( put real hot water in it, let it sit, no leaks - put it in freezer, let it thaw, no leaks )
Did a little renovation on cap - not that it leaked at all but plastic piece that holds cap to canteen had to go - an earlier reviewer had a great idea of cutting off bottom piece, cutting connection in half and drillin a hole in left over top part and using paracord as a cap to connection - kudos dude
If you don't wanna seem like a "little bear" cub n hearing the jokes on the trail, take your blackest black marker and cover up the huge BG that is all over this thing
All in all this is a heavy duty, well conceived, high quality, affordable, huge capacity product that was shipped fast, packed well and easily tracked
Don't be hatin because of the name - just go get one
Reluctant, but 5 stars and 2 thumbs up