Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on November 22, 2012
This is not an Amazon verified review, we bought ours at Target. Some things can't wait, even Amazon's speedy delivery can't be fast enough for baby crying hysterically.

I was a big skeptic! I used to think all these companies are the same aren't they? They use virtually the same ingredients, maybe they'll change it a little and then call it a different name, just like soda pop companies. How many colas are out there? And don't they all virtually taste the same?

But I guess babies are so sensitive, that even the slightest change in ingredients can change the quality of life for your baby and yourselves, the parents. Our baby left the hospital being used to enfamil premium newborn ready to use. So we continued with the ready to use, but he got fussier as the weeks went by. We then switched to the powder version cause the ready to use was too expensive, of course he was still fussy, and then we started to experience frantic feeding. Then our doctor suggested enfamil gentlease. It did not help, and the frantic feeding seem to have gotten worse. The spit ups were painful and the baby would get sticky cause gentlease is very sticky, probably due to the corn syrup ingredient? My baby would always wake up crying and seemingly in pain. After reading the reviews here, but understanding that all babies are different, I went ahead and tried Gerber Good Start Gentle with low expectations. The first time we gave it to him was around 11pm at night. The feeding went well, but I was being cautiously optimistic, so I didn't put much clout in it. Then something else happened, he slept till 4am in the morning! Our baby is 6 weeks old and sleeps at most 3 hours. During these 5 hours, there was the usually toss, turn, squirm, grunt, etc. but instead of waking up like he usually does, he would be able to get back into deep sleep. Well, I still remained cautiously optimistic until I see whether or not the frantic feeding has stopped. Man, I tell you we have experience major improvement in our feeding sessions! No more frantic feeding. Frantic feeding is like this.... I feed him yet he cries like he's in pain, If I stop feeding him, he cries cause he's hungry, so then I try again to feed him and he would be frantically sucking because he thinks the formula will make him feel better, but it does not, he's still in pain and crying hysterically, you try to burp him and nothing is popping... It is terrible to see your baby go through that. Ever since we switched to Gerber, we have yet to have one of these frantic feeding episodes, knock on wood!!! This is not a miracle, my baby will still spit up, colic at times, etc. But the difference now is that, it's just the normal cycles of crying, there is no pain. I used to see pain in his face when he would spit up, but now, he quietly spits up. There is no pain!! He would go about doing his cute baby faces, and then oops, formula would come out. After two weeks, I'm no longer cautiously optimistic, I'm now SOLD. This is our formula here on out and we've "subscribed and save" on Amazon. Like people say, not all babies are the same, but if you've got a baby struggling, then try it. The Gerber ingredients just might agree with your baby like it does with ours.

Thank you Gerber! And good luck to all the new parents out there!
33 comments61 of 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2011
We tried several formulas. At first we went with Similac Sensitive, which worked well for our baby's gassy tummy. With all the coupons for Similace we found it cheaper but after talking with my pediatrician we finally decided to look at the ingredients on the back of the container. Both Similac and Enfamil list corn syrup as their number one ingredient. Only Gerber Goodstart has real ingredients and it is the only formula I will trust for my little one.
1010 comments95 of 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2014
At first my wife and I hated the idea of using baby formula. They smell bad (fishy) and taste bad too (also a bit fishy eww). We didn't want to give our baby daughter anything that we wouldn't want to eat ourselves. I'm sorry but liquified fish is not my idea of comfort food.

However, my wife's milk production wasn't keeping up with our growing baby and it was becoming more difficult. My wife was dragging her breast pump to work, getting up in the middle of the night to pump, etc.

We tried several other formulas (she really didn't like enfamil or similac) but finally settled on Gerber Good Start Gentle. Initally we mixed it with real breastmilk and after a few weeks she was gobbling it up! Here we are a few months later. We've completely phased out breastmilk and she still looks forward to her bottles! With a few good burps she never has an upset tummy.

We look back now and laugh at all the stressing we did over introducing formula. We appreciate the flexibility of having food for her at all times and not fretting over milk production. Our baby is happier and healthier than ever. We're official Gerber fans!

So, you first time parents out there, relax and breathe. Baby formula is not going to smell great, or taste great, but your baby will like it. I've read in several places now that baby taste buds are largely undeveloped in infancy and they are not nearly as discriminating as our developed palates are. They just want their tummy full and at the end of the day we just want them to get well balanced, proper nutrients. Good Luck!
0Comment39 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2015
When switching from breast milk to formula we tried Similac first. He was extremely gassy and fussy. I did quite a bit of research and decided to try this one as it was already partial broken down to help with digestion. He has been on it for 5 months and he's not gassy at all and hardly spits up. The one downside is that since it is not one of the top brands I cannot find it in our local grocery store. I either have to order it from here or get it at Wal-Mart. So I have to be extra diligent in making sure we don't run out as the closest Wal-Mart is 30 miles away. All in all it's a great formula and we have been extremely happy with it
on January 14, 2014
Gerber breaks down the milk proteins differently than Similac and has fixed my daughter's constipation problems once I stopped breast feeding. Similac had her soooo backed up it was painful. Also, if you use Subsribe and Save it is cheaper than any grocery store!
0Comment21 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2015
Reasonably priced. Great product.
review image
on June 19, 2014
Had our baby on Enfamil Newborn Premium, which did really well for him. However, at 3 mos per feeding guidelines, we switched to the Enfamil Infant formula, which resulted in a lot of spit ups and diaper blow outs. We noticed an immediate difference when we began using Gerber Good Start - no more blow outs, no more spit ups. Our pediatrician said this was the formula he would recommend, and we and our baby are very happy with it. Updated review: 3 weeks later, noticing more spit ups. It took our baby a while to get used to this formula, and I'm not sure he really likes it. It's better for him, but I'm kind of on the fence about this one now in light of the increase in spit ups and blow outs again.

Updated at 7.5 mos: Gerber Good Start worked for a few months. But our baby started having tummy issues (ie really gross runny diapers), which in turn caused a raging diaper rash. Tried all sorts of creams, etc. Doctor recommended switching to hypoallergenic formula. So we switched to Nutramigen, baby's tummy is doing much better, he seems very chipper, and the diaper rash cleared up. He really did like the flavor of the Good Start, but as mentioned above, he had more spit ups than he does now on the new formula and apparently an issue with proteins.
11 comment11 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2013
Its baby formula and my 6 week old spits it up less than everything else. He went from 7 lbs to 12 lbs in 6 weeks and sleeps 10 hours a night. What else needs be said !
0Comment30 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2015
We are using this formula with our new baby and we are extremely happy with it. We used Similac Advance with our first baby and she had alot of gas and ended up having to change her formula. When we changed to Gerber Gentle all of the gas went away and we had a very happy baby.
on August 23, 2015
My great -granddaughter love this nomore spit -up gentle on her tummy everything I buy from Amazon just prefect I have no complaint
review image