5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!
Published on April 30, 2011 by Great Cook

2.0 out of 5 stars What is the smell?
The first time I used this air purifier, there is strong plastic smell coming out of it. It is so strong that I have to open doors to let the smell out. It is ironic that an air purifier has a smell!

Published 11 months ago by H. W

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!, April 30, 2011
Great Cook (Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GermGuardian AC5000E 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter, UV-C and Odor Reduction, 28-Inch (Health and Beauty)
I have 4 cats and put this near their litterbox. I have the Germ Guardian tower raised up off the floor for better circulation. Within 10 minutes of turning it on the air quality was noticeably fresher! I'm going to order one or two more for other areas of the house. Prior to buying this tower model, I have been using the cool looking stainless steel table model of Germ Guardian air sanitizers for years, I have 5 of those throughout the house and basement. I haven't had a cold since I first discovered Germ Guardians, 4 years ago! I have given 3 of them as gifts. I absolutely LOVE them!! My house smells fresh and clean, even with 4 indoor cats. I highly recommend the tower model and the table model. This tower model filters and cleans the air, as well as sanitizing it. The other model I mention here, only sanitizes the air, killing germs and mold spores. Link to the other model follows. Germ Guardian EV-9-102 UV-C Air Sanitizer, Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product!, January 10, 2011
Bought one of these a month or so ago locally, and have been so happy with it that I'm here on Amazon buying another one for the second floor. It is extremely effective in purifying the air of dust and odors. It has made a huge difference in my allergies. Looking forward to having one cranking on each floor. The filters are rather expensive, but all HEPAs are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fantastic!, June 23, 2011
For the price this is the best air filter I've ever used. The filter itself is easy to clean, simply wash it in the sink and dry it thoroughly and pop it back in (just the black part, the rest of it shouldn't get wet). I love it and have it running all the time, my son has breathing issues and I think this has helped him a lot. It moves air really well, but when it's on it's highest setting it is a little loud. Worth every penny though!

4.0 out of 5 stars Germ Guardian CACS Model AC5000, January 26, 2012
Only had unit a couple of days. We are accustomed to white noise to sleep and this unit is perfect on low or medium. Filtering system looks easy to maintain and efficient. Price is very competitive.

Our two gripes are the strong plastic smell the unit exudes. I'm hoping this will diminish with use. Also the blue indicator light bar that shines when the UV-C bulb is illuminated is much too bright for sleeping. I've covered it with electrical tape.

Update 2-7-12 Unit rattles now, not enough to disturb sleep but not "ultra-quiet" as the box advertising states.

Update April 2012. Rattle went away much quieter now. Bearings finally seated or wore in or something.

Update: November 2013 Unit is noisy again it rattles and whines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Successfully treating allergies and more in our house!, December 4, 2013
I have had this unit plus a small plug-in unit of the same brand for 3 months now. I purchased these for a couple of reasons: #1) to sanitize the air for my weaker immune system and #2) my daughter wakes up (woke up) every morning just completely stuffed up. Allergies are a real problem for her. I cannot tell you the difference in my daughter. The small unit is in the room she sleeps in and the standing unit is in the main room of the house. She no longer wakes up stuffy. She is now the one running to turn it on all the time because it makes her feel so much better. On top of that, her allergies are usually bad enough to cause bad breath from her sinuses. No more bad breath! As for me, I am always the one who catches illnesses and gets them worse than anyone in the family. My husband recently had a bad cold and I only got a scratchy throat!! That is a HUGE improvement for me! I highly recommend the Germ Guardian products. They are still running just as they were when I purchased them. The plug-in unit has been running since the minute we got it. We usually only leave the stand-up unit on during the day. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

5.0 out of 5 stars So clean!!!, April 17, 2014
I love having this! I got is for a gift for a relative as she is a smoker. When we visit you cannot even tell it is a smoker's home. This thing really does its job! VERY impressed and it is so quiet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, I love it!, May 7, 2011
Great Cook (Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
I have bought several of the stainless steel table top Germ Guardians, even giving some as gifts, they kill germs, mold spores, dust mites, and are excellent for allergies, but they are just air sanitizers and the airflow is limited. This Tower has a powerful airflow system with a true HEPA filter to thoroughly clean and sanitize the air!

I have cats and keep the Tower on a table at the end of the room where their litterbox is located. (I keep all my air sanitizers off the floor.) The Tower works very well and keeps the air fresh and clean, I love it! I keep it turned on high, which would be too loud for a bedroom, but it's very tolerable where I have it. On low it is quieter, but wouldn't serve its purpose as well. If you wanted to use it in a bedroom, you could turn it on high when you weren't in the room to better clean the air, then turn it down before going to bed.

I highly recommend this Tower AND the Stainless Steel Germ Guardian EV-9-102 UV-C Air Sanitizer, depending on your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Air Purifier., September 6, 2011
Wonderful product. My home feels super clean and I no longer have allergies! I have 2 small dogs and hard wood floors. This keeps my home feeling crisp and fesh. I LOVE IT.

2.0 out of 5 stars What is the smell?, January 22, 2014
H. W (Bay Area, CA USA) - See all my reviews

It looks some other reviewers noticed the smell too. I am going to let the unit run for a while to see if the problem persists. Nonetheless, the smell out of a new unit is really bothering. I don't know why so many 5 star ratings don't even consider this obvious problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can breathe again!!, January 19, 2014
NC Mtns (North Carolina Mountains, USA) - See all my reviews
I spent a lot of time reading about other hepa air purifier systems, the positive and down sides and decided this one was the best choice for me. I definitely made the right choice. For months, I have woken up with major sinus drainage due to allergies. After using it the first night, I did not have the usual mornings I deal with, without going into details here.

My husband gave me grief when it arrived, but after a few nights of the quiet hum that it makes when running and the light, wonderful fresh air that it generates, he actually admitted that he likes it. ( If you knew my husband, you would understand how big that is.) It is not loud and obnoxious like some of the others I read about. It is a bit louder when you run it on high, but I only run it on high when we have a cooking odor or something we want to quickly remove from the room. I highly recommend it and am so glad I ended up buying the larger unit. You will not be disappointed with the performance and the results. I sleep better now than I have in a very, very long time!