Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on January 31, 2011
I bought this as a late Christmas gift for my little girl for something to play with indoors and outside once it warms up again.
First off, it's really pretty big, about 21" long.
Also, unlike the photos on here, the tank is a much darker gray, which is of no real concern, but still good to know for any perfectionists regarding tank appearance.

I'll start by giving opinions about specific parts of the tank, starting with the drive mechanism.
As noted in the description, the gears, drive sprocket, and tracks are all metal, making for a much more robust drive train and obstacle clearing ability.
I was surprised at how fast it was, going around 3-4mph at full speed.
It also is easily steered, allowing one tread to be slowed while the other rolls for slight corrections while in motion, or it can do "super spin," which is the track on one side going one direction, while the track on the other side goes the opposite direction, a very cool feature.
The "road wheels" are all spring loaded, allowing a very nice independent suspension for crossing obstacles.
Also, while the metal gears and tracks are much better than the weaker plastic for crossing rough terrain, don't be tempted to run it through mud or water, since the body is not waterproof, which could allow debris entering the body to destroy the electronics.
It should do just fine on gravel or even short grass, though.
The right side joystick on the radio controller is devoted strictly to controlling the turning and motion.
Pushing the joystick to the "10:30" position will direct the tank into a left-hand turn, while pushing the joystick straight to the right will make the tank "super spin" clockwise and to the left "super spin" counterclockwise, and so on.
Since I am on the subject of the drive train, I should mention that it was this area that I had a problem with when I first bought it.
I was able to get a little over an hour out of it before the right side track locked up completely, rendering the tank useless.
I contacted the vendor, who sent me an RMA, then I returned it ($25 shipping, including $200 insurance and delivery confirmation via USPS) and received a replacement tank exactly a week after they received the broken one.
So far, after giving the new tank a workout with my daughter, it seems to be doing fine.
Hopefully, I won't have any more lockups, or I will be making some unflattering updates to this review.

The turret is able to train 320 degrees, which is necessary because the gun barrel would otherwise run into the radio control antenna mounted on the rear of the tank body.
It also elevates and depresses 25-30 degrees, allowing a bit more precision in aiming.
Both are controlled by the left joystick.
Pushing down on that joystick will elevate and depress the barrel, meaning it will go through its full vertical motion as the joystick is held down until released where you want it pointed.
As expected, pushing the joystick left or right will train the turret either counterclockwise or clockwise, respectively.
Pushing upward on the joystick and holding it will make the gun fire an Airsoft pellet, in fact continuing to fire in "full auto" more pellets until released.
The tank also simulates recoiling by rapidly lurching rearward then forward when the pellet fires, while making the sound of a big gun firing through the speaker.
There is a red LED on the face of the turret to alert you that it is about to fire when you do that, and you will want to be careful not to hit anyone in the eye with it, even though it lacks the power to break the skin.
The Airsoft pellets are loaded into the hopper hidden under the round hatch on top of the turret.
Also, under the rectangular hatch on top of the turret is an on/off switch that is used to either enable or disable the Airsoft gun.

On the underside of the body of the tank are two sliding switches.
One of the switches is labeled "On/Off," and it either turns the tank itself on or off.
The other switch is labeled "A-B-C," although the "C" position is disabled.
The "A" position is standard operation, meaning only simulated motor sounds from the speaker are enabled.
The "B" position also enables the smoke generators on the rear of the tank to simulate engine exhaust.
The smoke generators are surprisingly loud, and they also will use the battery up faster, so it's probably best to not even use them unless you really want it to look more realistic.
There is also a potentiometer on the underside that can be rotated with a flathead screwdriver that allows you to adjust the sound level from the speaker.
Also on the underside is a spring loaded piece that allows the cover to be removed to allow access to the 1700mAH nickel-cadmium battery.
You must remove the battery in order to charge it, something that I consider a bit of a shortcoming, but oh well.
I found that I can get about 30-45 minutes of run time when driving it hard and without using the smoke generators.
However, I now have a 3800mAH nickel-metal hydride battery that will allow me around 90 minutes run time, and that's a nice little upgrade for more time to have some fun with your kids.
You will also want to be sure to put the antenna on its spot, a small steel post on the rear of the tank body.

The radio controller has the previously mentioned joysticks, red LED power on indicator, on/off switch (be sure to turn this off when done playing with the tank unless you want to run down the batteries), trim slider for both forward/backward and left/right fine tuning for controlling the tank's motion.
There are also three buttons in the center and below the joysticks.
The button on the left is a toggle that powers the tank on and off.
The button labeled "G" activates the machine gun sound and red LED by the machine gun barrel on the tank.
The "K" button simulates firing by making the tank rapidly lurch rearward then forward, this time without firing a pellet, but still making the speaker play the sound of a big gun firing.
It should also be mentioned that all these features, as well as the pellet firing mode and turret train/elevation, will work while the tank is in motion.
The radio controller takes eight AA batteries.
You will also want to be sure to screw in the telescopic radio controller antenna.

The tank also comes with a few accessories, including:
Self-adhesive decals for the tank, including six "Iron Crosses" and two hull numbers
Airsoft pellets
Smoke oil
Two plastic smoke launchers that attach to each side of the turret toward the front
Two plastic mud flaps for right above the rear of the tracks - be careful installing these, or you can break them.
Plastic tank commander figure - uniform green, so you will need to paint it to make it look lifelike.
Instructions, which hardly qualify as written in "Chinglish," but fortunately the pictures help a bit, and it's pretty easy to figure out how to operate the tank on your own.

We had a lot of fun running the tank all over the place and shooting at some targets.
It was very maneuverable and surprisingly powerful.

I also highly recommend a higher capacity Ni-MH (nickel-metal hydride) battery and smart charger (these chargers will not overcharge and damage your battery) to supplement the low capacity nickel-cadmium battery it comes with.
Here is the battery I ordered - Tenergy 7.2V 3800mAh Flat NiMH High Power (38A Drain Rate) Battery Pack with Tamiya Connector for RC Cars and Sumo Robots
The nice smart charger I bought with it - Tenergy Smart Universal Charger for NiMH / NiCd Battery pack 7.2V - 12V with charging current Selection/Temperature Sensor
The battery I linked to here has over double the capacity of the one the tank comes with and has no "memory," and there are even batteries with just short of TRIPLE the capacity.

This is a really cool toy, and a nice alternative to the very expensive Tamiya r/c tanks that can cost well over a grand.
The only thing I wish this tank came with was the ability to alternatively use infrared "Battle Beam Mode" to simulate battle with another tank, so I suppose I will have to get a pair of tanks so configured if I want to do that in the future, probably for my daughter's birthday.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2010
I ordered this tank 12/24/09 and received it 1/4/10. It is very realistic. The metal tracks really add to the realism.Scale detail is very good, shovels,ax,sledge hammer,wood blocks,tow cables,fording gear and all scale details are awesome.The open assist mechanism on the commanders hatch even works. The headligts work and the hull mounted machine gun muzzle lights up red to simulate firing.The tank commander has headphones that are removable, he also needs to be painted as he is made of green plastic.It comes with decals,two number 3818 for the turret sides and four Balkenkreuze decals for the turret and hull sides.Four Balkenkreuze decals,two on the turret and two on the hull would be Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 503. they were the only heavy tank battalion to have two Balkenkreuze visible on each side,one on the hull and one on the turret near the identification numeral. The only complaint I have is the charger for the 7.2 volt tank battery is made to plug in to a 220 volt european or asian recepticle.
on April 27, 2011
The tank looks really great and costs accordingly. It is also large.

It is, however, of very poor quality, in my opinion. The idle runner wheels are attached to the tank with regular wood type screws and spin on said screws. In a few minutes of use, of course, the screw bound to the wheel and was unscrewed.

In addition I feel that the customer service of this seller was horrible in all respects.

I feel cheated out of my money and I do not feel that I was treated honestly.
on January 20, 2011
I received my tank yesterday and all I can say is WOW! This tank is very detailed and very scale like. The tank worked right out of the box! I do suggest reading the entire manual before operating the tank. Some people are experiencing trouble with the smoke generator that's because people fail to fill the smoke oil which indicated in the manual clearly. If ran without filling the oil the generator will break. Overall I'm very satisfied with the tank. I'm planning to order more Heng long tanks so my sons & I can have little battle in our back yard. By the way, this tank is huge and the metal tacks are crazy! Seller did a fine job packing. Thanks.
on December 26, 2012
This Heng Long model was a Christmas present from my family purchased from MNL Stores through Amazon. Out of the box, it was busted. The instructions are literally useless -- for a worldwide distributor Heng Long could hire a better interpreter... I went to various RC discussion groups and learned that it was most likely 1) bad crystal set; 2) bad controller or receiver; or 3) bad control board. Yikes! It's not a scratchbuild but it is $150 and you'd expect that it should at least RUN once... I do give a great deal of credit to MNL. I wrote them about the problems I was experiencing and they promptly sent me a return mailer and told me to send the tank back. I've read a number of reviews of this tank and Heng Long apparently has a lot of pluses and minuses -- pluses include realism and a lot of fun to operate, especially the upgraded versions. That said, construction quality is really spotty. A lot of Amazon owners and owners through RC Universal's Discussion Group talk about all sorts of problems -- screws falling into the gears, pins falling out, a feature not working (smoke, gun, turning ability) or electrical problems similar to mine. I hope I get a working model from MNL on the next go around. Made in China is getting a truly bad rep... The Chinese don't seem to care... That said, as a collector, I have options. I can have an RC builder build one for me from any kit I choose -- even scratch build one for me using whatever "guts" I want or they recommend. So if Heng Long wants to stay in business they need to improve their build quality...
on December 29, 2013
This tank is exactly what the description says. It has the full metal upgrade like described. It moves as described. The bad, I didn't realize it did not have sound. Also I believe the tank is a older model because of the way it moves, it's not real smooth or realistic. Also the air gun is very weak. I'll probably do an electrical upgrade like the RX-18 unit/board and a another transmitter and add the speaker kit.
on May 15, 2012
The tank arrived on time which is big for me because I am an Amazon prime member and I am used to 2 days shipping. Well when it arrived the packaging was undamaged, and very well packed! The tank itself was everything I could have asked for and more. Drives well , shoots well, and looks freaking awesome. I did have one issue with the tank . The front track sprocket became loose which made it turn weird and I could tell that if it continued to run that way it would not be long before it destroyed the tank. Well I sent an e-mail to the store and a day later they got back to me with pictures of what I described was wrong. With the pictures I did exactly what they told me to do and I had it fixed in a matter of seconds. Awesome service. The tank is a type of top because of all the moving parts that things will come loose, the key to it is their service. It is prompt and they obviously have been through a few problems in the past so they know exactly what to do to help you. You can't buy a product like this and expect the life of it to be maintenance free. I think that is a cool part about it that now that I fixed it i know in the future I will be able to too. Thanks again TPA. I highly recommend this tank.
on July 11, 2010
i would suggest that when you buy a tank, email the seller with questions as to what you want your tank to do like sounds, smoke, lights...get confirmation before you decide if this is what you want!
so you can hold them to it, now i like my tiger tank exspecially after i camoed it, however it didnt make sounds or have smoke and the headlights come on when in forward motion and machine gun light comes on only in reverse! it does however have 360 degrees rotation and is very fast so i cant complain, but the description clearly said "emulation music and action effect" and "start-up sound Engine sound, machine-gun sound Cannonball sound Emulation action effect". the seller sent the product quickly and packaged very well thank you very much
on December 29, 2011
First the positives: the tank looks cool, is easy to drive, and relatively inexpensive compared to some models. The firing system and turret are easy to control even for a person (like me) who never used a remote vehicle before. The recorded sounds of a real tank are good and you can adjust the volume. The gun turret turns on and off and the remote gets good range even in the house.

Negatives: The plastic seems cheap, and the directions indicate that you should not use this tank out doors. I expected to be able to use this outside for such an expensive toy. The directions are in chinese/english and some of the translations are poor. The directions fail to describe certain features, but through trial and error you can figure it out.

It is a good starter tank but of you are intermediate or expert using R/C you will be bored with it.
on December 13, 2011
i bought this tank thinking it would be cool for airsofting i got the tank and it said you cant use on any terrain except on hard ground .Then two days later the turret breaks and the gears broke so it wouldnt move it was the worst thing i ever bought DO NOT BUY!!way to expensive for how easily it breaks.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse