5.0 out of 5 stars Manages to Actually Demystify German
I never got along with German at school, but I wanted to pick this language up as an adult. I remain a long way from fluent, but having worked through this book I now have enough German to make myself understood, and even managed to read a couple of short German works. This book does indeed demystify the language.

There are elements of German that do seem...
Published on June 29, 2012 by Sir Furboy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the beginner
Published 11 months ago by Lady VonKountzavitch

5.0 out of 5 stars Manages to Actually Demystify German, June 29, 2012
Sir Furboy (Aberystwyth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: German DeMYSTiFieD, Second Edition (Paperback)

There are elements of German that do seem convoluted and hard, but at the end of this book I thought "is that all of it"?

Well obviously learning a language goes beyond reading one work, but this is a good one for building confidence and competence in the language. It is well written and easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn it fast, December 9, 2012
This review is from: German DeMYSTiFieD, Second Edition (Paperback)
We bought this AND German for Dummies - both similar but with just enough difference to make both helpful. These books are easy reads, contain CDs which helps greatly with pronounciations & accents. It's crazy how similar German & English are. The Germans speak so rapidly (in person) that's it's hard to pick up those similarities but once you learn the key similarities, it's much easier. However, don't get too comfortable with those similarities as there are a few words that are almost the opposite in meaning. German DMYSTiFied actually makes it a fun learning experience. I believe this book would help teens as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, June 30, 2012
This review is from: German DeMYSTiFieD, Second Edition (Paperback)
I have just started using this book, but so far so good. German is difficult for me, but this book is helping me breakdown the language so I can get a better grasp on all the grammar and pronunciations!

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally good, don't get the eBook., June 5, 2014
This review is from: German DeMYSTiFieD, Second Edition (Paperback)
This is a reasonably good book, with a decent selection of exercises. For a beginner self-learning text, this is a nice choice.

Pros:
-Grammar and pronunciation are very good (more on this later).
-Book is easy to read, logically laid out, etc.
-Comes with a good-quality listening CD, and learners should always get a listening CD.
-Plenty of exercises.

Cons:
-Accent may need some work (more later).
-Some exercises are just cheesy, like long sections of learning how to say your name, then being asked to write the exact same phrase for ten people (Ich heisse John, Ich heisse Mary, etc etc). This repetition can be a good thing for a beginner, but I won't complain if you skip some of the repeats as you go along.
-Apparently the eBook version isn't very good, but why is anyone buying the e-version of a book that you're supposed to read alongside its listening CD anyway? Then again I'm not an eBook reader.

Now the accent. A standard treatise that people learning German should prepare themselves to hear every time they see a new material is that the vast majority of classes / books / etc don't do a good job of disclosing what accent they're teaching you. Imagine if you were learning English and when you actually came to America people told you that you had been taught to speak like you were from Boston or Chicago and you had no idea! Classes are ideally supposed to teach "high" German (Hoch Deutsch), which like Standard American English isn't really spoken by anyone outside of formal business settings but it's designed to be a generic treatment of the language. As I've seen so far, this book has a bit of an accent, as many materials do.

An example: The word ich (translating to the English "I"). In High German, it should be pronounced like "ick" as if an English speaker sees something disgusting. This book teaches you to say "eek" (like if you're frightened of a bug). Most German speakers in a casual setting will pronounce it more like "ish" (as in you speak Engl-ish). The accent is not particularly strong, and it's pretty close to the formal High German, so for a beginner it's not a lot to complain about. But someone who masters this book might get some corrections from their peers for some odd pronunciations. As I understand it this accent would be more from the southern/Bavarian side of Germany, although again it's not very bad.

Again the way you're "supposed" to learn German is to learn Hoch Deutsch first, and from there to learn to relax your speech a little for informal settings. So no matter how you learn German, at some point you have to learn accents. For anyone unfamiliar, the same things happens with English- most people in the world have to learn the difference between British and American English, and even from there to learn regional dialects, before they can be effective English speakers. This is similar to the way any German learner needs to learn the difference between Hoch Deutsch and Swiss or Bavarian German or what have you.

So one star off mostly for not disclosing what accent was being taught to the beginner, but otherwise this is a very good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars As It say on its cover hard stuff made easy, March 24, 2012
This review is from: German DeMYSTiFieD, Second Edition (Paperback)
This is a great book, I highly recommend this it has audio which is great for you to learn the pronunciation.
You see in this book vast content but you really undestand it beacause the explained well

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the beginner, January 1, 2014
This review is from: German DeMYSTiFieD, Second Edition (Paperback)
I took two years of German a decade ago, so I bought this hoping to use it as a refresher. I find it poorly organized. It also spends too much time on simple things, and doesn't have enough practice drills for more complex concepts. For example, 5 pages are dedicated to "My name is __. What is your name? What is his name?" But less than two poorly explained pages on using nicht versus kein. I was able to pick and choose exercises that I needed, but definitely needed other books and CDs to supplement. It's also kind of difficult to actually use; it never really lays flat on the table, and always finds a way to slip out of your lap. Because of this, you can't quite write on the pages. I do feel like this book was a waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, August 26, 2013
While the content is generally good, the decision to print German words in a grey italicized font, half the size of the English words was a real mistake. Making the type large enough to comfortably read the German makes the English cartoonishly large.

If you don't believe a good book can be killed by typesetting you need to take a look at this one.

I wanted to like this, but it is more an eye test than a language text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, October 21, 2013
This review is from: German DeMYSTiFieD, Second Edition (Paperback)
Very helpful in learning the German language!!! Very clear instructions and the quizzes and chapter reviews are very thorough. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, August 9, 2013
KSS (Southern, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: German DeMYSTiFieD, Second Edition (Paperback)
This is a great book. I'm only in the middle of Part 2, but I've learned so much. I went to Germany and everyone was impressed! It was amazing how much I could understand in general conversation, at the store, and on TV. Especially since it introduces so many verbs/conjugations early on. The Self Teaching Guide is too close to this book. I really don't see why anyone would need both. The text is nearly identical, but this one has more explanation, while the Self-Teaching Guide has the same introductory text but more practice examples at the end of each part.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, September 30, 2013
I bought the Kindle version of this book not realizing that if I had bought the printed version I would have probably gotten the CD with it.

German DeMYSTiFieD, Second Edition
German DeMYSTiFieD, Second Edition by Edward Swick (Paperback - June 16, 2011)
$25.00 $18.54