Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on April 6, 2004
This is a set of flash cards that roughly corresponds to the 1000 most commonly used words in the German language. They're great. They're the perfect size, small enough to carry a bunch comfortably in your pocket, but not so small that they're difficult to manipulate in your hand. When you're done with these, buy blank ones and make your own.
22 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2008
My 8 year old is enrolled in German school while we are stationed here, and having had no prior German language instruction I bought these to boost his vocabulary. These cards are awesome! We carry a few with us and both try to learn a few new ones each day. Even though there are 1000 cards, many have multiple words on 1 card, so there are even MORE than 1000 things to learn. They are small and easy to carry around, and are great for anyone wanting to learn German! The best German language product I have ever purchased, well worth the money!
on December 29, 2011
I am in the beginning stages of learning German: I have some understanding of the grammar, verb conjugation and declensions for nouns, pronouns and adjectives. However, my vocabulary is woefully inadequate. I am finding the German Vocabulary Cards to be very useful.

I am impressed by the organization of the cards; many of the cards have several words related to the principal word. For example, the noun die Absicht is accompanied by the related adjective absichtlich and verb beabsichtigen. The cards are quite thorough in providing alternative meanings. For example, some elementary German books provide the meanings by, near, at for the preposition bei. This preposition has several other uses, and the card lists the meanings associated with these uses (Larry Wells "Handbuch Zur Deutschen Grammatik" made me aware of the extensive use of this preposition; other "simpler" books did not).

The cards are well worth what I spent to acquire them.
on March 30, 2007
too big (many) to be really portable, but with a thousand cards they're worthwhile and you could always split them up...beats making them yourself.
on May 25, 2012
These cards are much nicer and a much bigger convenience than making them myself. However, I noticed the first card I pulled out was "Mark (German Currency)" which hasn't actually existed since 2002. Other words are slightly out of date, but as long as you make yourself aware of them, it isn't too bad. The cards are nice, but are quite thin. I can see the writing on the back if they aren't against a hard surface. So as long as you don't plan on holding them up, they are fine; no huge deal :).

These are pretty great, and certainly can't beat them at the price. Try coming up with 1000 cards and printing them off for less than $15 (if you counted in time it would probably be 4-5x's that!) You should buy these, don't think you will be disappointed. You should definitely learn Grammar along with these, though as these won't really help you with that, and nouns and verbs without grammar won't work.
on July 29, 2012
These cards are good, and I'm glad I have them, but they could/should have been better. My main criticisms are:
1. They waste far too many cards on obscure words while commonly used words are missing
2. The printing should be larger, especially on the back
3. The cards are very thin stock
All in all though, they are handy.
on November 12, 2011
Eventhough I like the idea and the concept of these flash cards, I have to give them a negative review. The German language was revised in 2006 and these flash cards have the old spelling. "Fluss" is still spelled with the "s-zet" just to name one (of many).
I send the cards back. They need revision!!!
on December 26, 2012
I really like these flash cards. The first thing I did upon receiving them was sort them. I sorted them by categories and that made them easy to find when you needed them. I usually memorize a few cards from a category each day. This really helps after awhile. These cards make a great study aid.
on November 23, 2012
flimsy cards but adequate. Worth the price. Sure the german language was updated after these cards were printed but its good to know what the Eszet stands for, especially if you plan on reading old German texts at some point!
on March 29, 2015
This is a fantastic adjunct to my German lesson books -- like having a German/English dictionary always at hand and always convenient for reference -- great purchase. I always carry a few of the cards in the car so that when I am stuck in traffic I can continue my education on-the-go.......