5.0 out of 5 stars So Helpful...So Very, Very Helpful!
Published on April 28, 2008 by O. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but Repetitive
Finding myself dealing with a re-occurrence of depression, I found myself looking for ebooks on my Kindle for help. This book was good for giving practical tips to get myself moving when I didn't have the motivation. The author's honest and revealing insight into her own situation and history was very helpful.

The one criticism I have is that after fifty...
Published on March 24, 2012 by Blueboy

5.0 out of 5 stars So Helpful...So Very, Very Helpful!, April 28, 2008
*****
This book is incredibly helpful because it helps you to learn practical methods for coping with depression. The subtitle is "50 Strategies for Keeping Your Life on Track", and each strategy is thoroughly explored. First it is explained, then there is a short exercise you can do to apply the strategy to your life. Next the strategy is illustrated in a story from someone's personal life. Lastly, the author shares a story about applying that strategy in her own life.

For example, one strategy I found very helpful is "Accept the Limitations Caused By Depression". I expect way, way too much of myself every day and then feel bad when I can't accomplish what I want to. This strategy (and the book in general) helped me to see that I will feel better and get more done in the long run if I don't beat myself up about what I can't do, and if I work the other strategies diligently to do what I can.

It really helped that the author is successful and accomplished despite her depression, and the stories show how many, many people work with their illness to make valuable contributions with their lives instead of just giving in to depression and using it as an excuse for failure. It truly made me feel like I wasn't alone---that many others feel this way, and that they organize their lives so that they can still succeed.

I have to say that it's the most practical book I've ever read for actually coping with depression.

Highly recommended.
*****

5.0 out of 5 stars A rope to climb out of the well of depression, January 10, 2008
This review is from: Get It Done When You're Depressed (Paperback)
All of Julie Fast's books are practical and well-written, and this may be her best. Using examples from the lives of people who struggle with depression, she gives realistic, concrete ways to fight the effects of depression, so that the negative spiral of inactivity and hopelessness can turn into a positive spiral of accomplishment and satisfaction.

Julie has learned these lessons the hard way, and this book is proof that her methods work. The personal stories are backed up by her co-author, a psychologist, who provides a more physiological explanation of both symptoms and why Julie's strategies are effective.

When depression of any kind (including bipolar) is the problem, it's crucial to know how to counteract its symptoms with behavior, as well as medication. This book gives readers the tools to take charge of their lives. It's not the usual advice from experts looking down from the top of the well. It's a strong rope, each chapter a foothold to use for climbing out.

5.0 out of 5 stars One chapter made all the difference..., January 8, 2008
This review is from: Get It Done When You're Depressed (Paperback)
I have read every textbook, self help book, etc. and was still beating my head against a wall until I read this book.

I can tell you that chapter 11, Expect Brain Chatter, was the answer to prayer. I don't know what it was about this specific chapter, but it opened up serious dialogue after 14 years of marriage.

This chapter gave me a simple way to explain the on-going dialogue and loop of music in my head and why it is so painful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but this book WILL help you, July 15, 2008
This review is from: Get It Done When You're Depressed (Paperback)
I was quite impressed with this little book. I think that some people will relate to the 50 different strategies more so than others. But I can't imagine a depressed person NOT taking something valuable away from at least ONE of the 50 methods.

What I liked even more than the specific strategies was Julie's clear and honest explanation of what it is like to have depression. She does a great job illustrating how the depressed brain operates differently. She includes personal examples from her own life for EVERY strategy.

I did think her personal stories became a bit whiny and annoying by the end of the book, but I understand why she included them. I figure any frustration I have with her is the same frustration I have with my own depression. No-one wants to be whiny and self-absorbed, but when you're depressed, it happens.

This is one of the better books for depression out there. Even if you aren't depressed, it's a great read because it will help you interact with and understand those who are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!!!!!!, July 11, 2010
Denise Malone (PINELAND, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get It Done When You're Depressed (Paperback)
This book is the best book I've ever read for depression and the only book I know out there that has advice and ideas on how to "Get it done while you're depressed" It's about time. THANKYOU to the Author. This book got me moving after the first page. I literaly put the book down and jumped out of bed and started washing dishes that hadn't been washed in days. Funny I still haven't finished reading the book because everytime I do, I start wanting to do something, Really! This book is a MOTIVATOR LIKE I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE. It should be in every Mental Hospital, Physchiatrist office,Counselors and especially a Mental Rehab Facility (every person should go home with one). Don't hesitate to buy this book. I promise you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what's needed, January 4, 2008
This review is from: Get It Done When You're Depressed (Paperback)
Julie Fast's 'Get It Done When You're Depressed' is exactly the book I've been looking for to offer my therapy clients struggling with indecision and inertia.
The book is written in a clear, no-nonsense manner that is easy to read and understand--important considerations when writing for people whose emotional pain may make it difficult to focus.
'Get It Done' is loaded with realistic suggestions that will be useful to anyone no matter how 'well' or 'ill' they may be. Thanks Ms. Fast I needed this!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Yet Practical Approach, February 12, 2008
This review is from: Get It Done When You're Depressed (Paperback)
Simple, short, easy-to-understand ideas that can be put to use instantly. Thoughtfully written by an author who has been there herself supported by brief scientific expertise. Perfect for someone who is depressed because reading an entire book to get help is impossible; instead they can read it in sound-bites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get It Done When You're Depressed, February 8, 2008
This review is from: Get It Done When You're Depressed (Paperback)
Getting It Done When You're Depressed is full of useful tools for success despite depression. Observations gathered from Julie's experience and those of others who have made contributions are backed up with input from Dr. John D. Preston, Psy.D., ABPP who is an author of 18 books in the psychiatric field. Anyone who has ever tried to deal with depression will find valuable lessons and exercises to break through the depressive barrier in this insightful volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finished an Ivy league degree because of this book!, April 8, 2012
DoraeMonty (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get It Done When You're Depressed (Paperback)
I have been dealing with depression since college. I found this book during my graduate study at an Ivy league school. It was tough, really tough. Not only that I had to move far away from home, the weather and the study were gruesome for me. If I didn't have this book, I didn't even know if I would ever finish the school. The chapters are all broken down into small sections with short real-life examples, bullet points, summary and suggestions. It certainly is easy to read especially when you are depressed. I flipped through it so many times when I was too depressed to work. I am so grateful for the author to write this book, for without it, I would have lost several years of my life not accomplishing anything because of depression. Thank you! Thank you!

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but Repetitive, March 24, 2012

The one criticism I have is that after fifty sections, the format got a bit repetitive, and the information from the doctor seemed slightly forced in order to come up with something to match each of her techniques.

Ultimately a good guide.

Get It Done When You're Depressed
Get It Done When You're Depressed by Julie A. Fast (Paperback - January 2, 2008)
$14.95 $11.04