5.0 out of 5 stars 'Get Fast' in plain language!
Published 20 months ago by whiteoak56

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money
I paid $1.88 for this book, and it was just worth it. Selene provides a lot of information in an easy to understand package. I found the section on nutrition to be very useful, and for that alone worth the price. The opening chapters on free speed with cleat placement and tips on becoming more aero are also nice.

I will be critical on some of the styling and...
Published 11 months ago by Martin Tolton

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, January 1, 2014

I will be critical on some of the styling and editing. First, it is a book that in my view targets road cyclists. I got the impression she was very comfortable speaking with authority on her sports mountain biking and tri but less so when speaking of road racing or the technical aspects of road bikes. When introducing frame materials, writing something like "Steel is real...I've never know what that really means" is a weak way to introduce a topic. Bicycling editors, how on earth when editing the section on tires did you confuse psi with "rpm"?

This book does strike as a bit too cutsie, which in my opinion over time does detract from the overall quality of the book. For example, as a reader who has made through the chapters on nutrition, training zones, FTP's, VO2 Max's, I really don't need "Chocolate Milk" to be further clarified as "Moo Juice." It's cute, but I'm not 6 years old.

Selene, has gone to great lengths in researching her topics and often cites other research authors and universities but never the actual paper. Quoting a 'PhD' isn't enough.

A bibliography and endnotes would have gone a long way especially since the work was already done.
Overall this book covers all the topics I talk about on group rides which is nice to have in one volume if you have no friends to ride with or are like me, under a couple of feet of snow in the winter. There is some good information in this book and I recommend it to the beginner to intermediate rider as a good introduction to more detailed resources on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Get Fast' in plain language!, April 25, 2013
This review is from: Get Fast!: A Complete Guide to Gaining Speed Wherever You Ride (Bicycling) (Paperback)
Great read, smoothly written, full of practical advice. Very informative, well balanced, written in plain language everyone can understand and more importantly does not overexplain. The book eloquently written takes you through training phases on how to responsibly get fast on the bike, as well as proper stretching, resistant work, nutrition, rest and recovery. Selene also writes about 'Talk Nice', a reminder on positive thinking on long rides. I was fortunate to have a copy a couple of months ago, I used it as a primer for a long endurance event in Puerto Rico. On the plane I was able to write out reminders from the book on what to focus on using Selene's initials during the event. The initial S was for Stay loose, E-Electrolytes, L-Light (float like a butterfly), E-easy speed (cheat the wind), N-talk NICE (pushing through pain), E be Efficient. It felt very gratifying on a personal level when other riders were approaching me saying I looked fresh as a daisy at the end of the days ride.

'Get Fast' is written with an infectious enthusiasm, commitment and love for the sport. I highly recommend for anyone from a beginner to a seasoned cyclist.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd buy another copy..., July 23, 2013
Jim (Carol Stream, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
First, a brief review: If you have any interest whatsoever in increasing your speed, buy this book. BTW, I already know you have some interest or you wouldn't be looking at a book titled "Get Fast," so we can just skip the qualifier. Buy the book.

The real reason I posted a review is to suggest that this title be made available on Audible.com. If you add it, I will buy it. I may or may not read through the whole book again, but either way, I'd also like to be able to listen to it in my car.

Come to think of it, another suggestion: I have it on Kindle, where the various plan charts are difficult to read. I looked on the internet to see if I could find a printable copy, but couldn't find anything. Luckily I also have an 8.9" Fire and can read the charts on that. But for people who only have the six inch screen, a downloadable and/or printed copy of the charts would be helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid info, September 20, 2013
Kelly L. McPherson (South Jordan, UT, US) - See all my reviews
It was nice that this book didn't get so technical that a cycling newbie might get lost in it. Selene tells some great stories and has great examples of what it is she is trying to say. I learned a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars well written, easy read, lots of good info, June 10, 2013
Nicely written and easy to read. The book has lots of insights and examples that are helpful. Especially good info about nutrition. Very good book that does not have a lot of the superlatives and excessive adjectives you find in the glossy magazines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cycling bible, May 22, 2014
I love this book. I learned so much from this book. This is my cycling bible. I wish there was more in depth discussion about nutrition

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, April 23, 2014
Good book. It was helpful for my overall training and knowlege. I recomend this book for any amateur cyclist. .

5.0 out of 5 stars faster secrets unlocked, March 23, 2014
Important overall information for anyone wanting to become faster on two wheels. Great explanations and written in a concise easy to understand manner with plenty of examples to follow and learn from.

5.0 out of 5 stars very god book, February 25, 2014
All you need to improve. It's the fundamental, it's all there all the basic stuff it's all the same the presented in easy to understand all in one comprehensive format.

4.0 out of 5 stars good overview, December 8, 2013
Steve Johns (Carmel, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This book has some good practical take-aways for off-season training and generally getting faster. I look forward to trying some of the protocols.

Get Fast!: A Complete Guide to Gaining Speed Wherever You Ride (Bicycling)
$19.99 $12.84