Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 1, 2014
I paid $1.88 for this book, and it was just worth it. Selene provides a lot of information in an easy to understand package. I found the section on nutrition to be very useful, and for that alone worth the price. The opening chapters on free speed with cleat placement and tips on becoming more aero are also nice.

I will be critical on some of the styling and editing. First, it is a book that in my view targets road cyclists. I got the impression she was very comfortable speaking with authority on her sports mountain biking and tri but less so when speaking of road racing or the technical aspects of road bikes. When introducing frame materials, writing something like "Steel is real...I've never know what that really means" is a weak way to introduce a topic. Bicycling editors, how on earth when editing the section on tires did you confuse psi with "rpm"?

This book does strike as a bit too cutsie, which in my opinion over time does detract from the overall quality of the book. For example, as a reader who has made through the chapters on nutrition, training zones, FTP's, VO2 Max's, I really don't need "Chocolate Milk" to be further clarified as "Moo Juice." It's cute, but I'm not 6 years old.

Selene, has gone to great lengths in researching her topics and often cites other research authors and universities but never the actual paper. Quoting a 'PhD' isn't enough.

A bibliography and endnotes would have gone a long way especially since the work was already done.
Overall this book covers all the topics I talk about on group rides which is nice to have in one volume if you have no friends to ride with or are like me, under a couple of feet of snow in the winter. There is some good information in this book and I recommend it to the beginner to intermediate rider as a good introduction to more detailed resources on the market.
on September 19, 2013
I liked the book.
It's easy to read and has some quick, and easy to digest useful iformation.
I enjoyed the part concerning the workouts for core stability, and the explanation of their contribution to cycling performance.
However the part that talks about nutrition has a lot of misinformation. Things regarding nutrition timming are largely inaccurate.
But the worst part of all is what the author says about ergogenics. Complete crap, with no evidences whatsoever about a topic that traditionally has no scientific foundation.
Other thing the upset me a little is the no use of references. She frequently uses the lines: "some studies prove" and "some experts say" and do not indicates the studies that she is refering too. That is the same of saying nothing.
It's a fine compilation of good tips from a person with experience in cycloing, but not to be used as a scientific reference at all. Specially regarding to nutrition.
If it is worth the money? In my opinion: If you have read some serious books about nutrition and sports before, and you have a solid scientific base to filter good from bad info, it is a nice book to have. However, if you are still learning about the subject, better look for something else.
on April 25, 2013
Great read, smoothly written, full of practical advice. Very informative, well balanced, written in plain language everyone can understand and more importantly does not overexplain. The book eloquently written takes you through training phases on how to responsibly get fast on the bike, as well as proper stretching, resistant work, nutrition, rest and recovery. Selene also writes about 'Talk Nice', a reminder on positive thinking on long rides. I was fortunate to have a copy a couple of months ago, I used it as a primer for a long endurance event in Puerto Rico. On the plane I was able to write out reminders from the book on what to focus on using Selene's initials during the event. The initial S was for Stay loose, E-Electrolytes, L-Light (float like a butterfly), E-easy speed (cheat the wind), N-talk NICE (pushing through pain), E be Efficient. It felt very gratifying on a personal level when other riders were approaching me saying I looked fresh as a daisy at the end of the days ride.

'Get Fast' is written with an infectious enthusiasm, commitment and love for the sport. I highly recommend for anyone from a beginner to a seasoned cyclist.
on May 6, 2016
Selene does a good job of summarizing practical and even research-based advice for speed on the bike. If you are experienced, not everything will be a revelation. I like her writing style and as a 25+ year rider, I am learning new ideas.
on June 10, 2013
Nicely written and easy to read. The book has lots of insights and examples that are helpful. Especially good info about nutrition. Very good book that does not have a lot of the superlatives and excessive adjectives you find in the glossy magazines.
on July 14, 2013
I'm relatively new to cycling, and I picked up this book to see if I could shorten my learning curve. This book is outstanding. From simple tips to get you rolling faster right away, to more in-depth stuff like core fitness programs and nutrition guides, everything you need to be a better cyclist is here. I don't know how much value there is for more experienced cyclists, but if you're a newbie like me, make this book a priority purchase.
on July 23, 2013
First, a brief review: If you have any interest whatsoever in increasing your speed, buy this book. BTW, I already know you have some interest or you wouldn't be looking at a book titled "Get Fast," so we can just skip the qualifier. Buy the book.

The real reason I posted a review is to suggest that this title be made available on Audible.com. If you add it, I will buy it. I may or may not read through the whole book again, but either way, I'd also like to be able to listen to it in my car.

Come to think of it, another suggestion: I have it on Kindle, where the various plan charts are difficult to read. I looked on the internet to see if I could find a printable copy, but couldn't find anything. Luckily I also have an 8.9" Fire and can read the charts on that. But for people who only have the six inch screen, a downloadable and/or printed copy of the charts would be helpful.
on March 23, 2014
Important overall information for anyone wanting to become faster on two wheels. Great explanations and written in a concise easy to understand manner with plenty of examples to follow and learn from.
on September 4, 2013
Bought this book to learn about the sport. It basically goes through most aspects of the sport to help you improve your speed. Very informative book would highly recommend this book to all newcomers to the sport.
on August 1, 2013
This book really covers everything you need to know about cycling and getting your body conditioned to be a better cyclist. It even helps get you smart on some bike mechanics as well. I highly recommend reading this book...you won't regret it.