I was lucky enough to get an early copy of the book. Why is it so hard to talk about money with your significant other? This book guides you through ways to think about it, and talk about it, so you keep yourself out of trouble. Lots of very specific advice and exercises to make it easy to take concrete steps, little by little.
Published on November 17, 2009 by Gretchen C. Rubin

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre book with little practical advice
Published on February 15, 2012 by NAF

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre book with little practical advice, February 15, 2012
NAF (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews
If you have never had a conversation with your significant other about finances, then this is a useful book. If you have had such conversations, and you are looking for tangible ways to move forward, such as how to set up joint checking accounts, how to share finances, how to budget and how to think about the complicated issues that arise from combining finances, this book is not particularly helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, clear guide to a subject that's not much fun to think about., November 17, 2009
This review is from: Get Financially Naked: How to Talk Money with Your Honey (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend this book! For single men and women too., December 17, 2009
As someone who is looking to create a healthy, loving relationship in 2010, I was so pleased to read Manisha Thakor and Sharon Kedar's latest book. It's chock full of concrete tools for walking into a relationship from a position of financial strength rather than fear. Let's face it - so many of us do NOT know how to have these conversations, myself included. After reading this book, I feel so much more prepared to face head on issues related to money that I would normally run away from. I'm excited about the possibilities this opens up.

One of my favorite aspects of Get Financially Naked is how much Manisha and Sharon share of their personal journeys with money before their relationships (their money stories) as well as during them. They show that it's not about striving for perfectionism but more about open communication with your partner. I felt like if they could do it, I could too! This book is a MUST HAVE for anyone looking to successfully navigate relationships and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun and Satisfying Read, October 29, 2009
Susan Hennessey (Stratford, Connecticut) - See all my reviews
After reading the first three chapters, I made a special "date night" appointment with my husband to talk over our finances. We usually keep in close touch about the bills, but I used the questions that are laid out in this book to guide our discussion. And it was fun! We really got into some parts of our financial relationship that we had just assumed the other one understood. It made me feel so closer to my husband, bringing a warmth into our connection that night. Thank you, authors! You are brilliant! I fully recommend this book to all women in any stage of your relationship...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for couples!, October 28, 2009
P. Rao (CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I LOVED this book! It is a quick read and is well written. The issues that the authors address are helpful for any couple. It is a little crazy that often times, most of us just avoid talking about financial topics with our partner. I could totally relate to how differences in financial beliefs/goals can affect relationships, and I found the exercises in the book extremely helpful. In fact, my sister and her husband are newlyweds, and I've already ordered them a copy. I think it's a must read for any couple!

1.0 out of 5 stars Get Financially Naked: How to Talk Money with Your Honey, October 26, 2012
If you are in high school or in college and have absolutely no clue about finances (or your love life) I do recommend this book as an orientation and helping you start thinking for your future. If you have knowledge and are looking to augment it with good, solid financial advice this book is definitely not for you. I read through it in 3 hours because they use a lot of stories of people's (mostly women) financial struggles/up-comings, which I skipped over. They use a lot of "rules of thumb" that are clearly wrong, because everyone is in different financial situations. It might stir you wrong. The authors claim to be professionals in the financial field but either they chose to be too general or they really didn't put enough real financial substance into their book. I had bought this book for my wife but after reading it I think it might confuse her even more. It also says its not completely directed to women, and that it will also be a good read for men.....but clearly they are wrong! Its clearly tailored solely for women, trust me. Anyways, just trying to avoid anyone buying this book that is looking for something else...like I was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Financial Advice for Everyone, November 30, 2009
I wish I had read this before my first marriage. Now that I am in a healthier financial relationship with my current husband I was excited about taking the steps in the book to become "Financially Naked" with him. Over this past weekend we got through most of it and we both feel so much more informed. It's not just about what we have financially, which we have already gone over with a fine toothed comb, but how we FEEL financially. Thakor and Kedar have brilliantly devised, in a completely non-judmental way, a system for complete financial honesty in a relationship. One thing that I really appreciated was how they included the possibility that our "Honey" might actually be another woman. There was none of the usual "men do this, therefore women do that", no gender bias, just good solid advice.

I'm looking forward to the teen edition, which I will gladly read aloud to my 14 year old daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, April 24, 2010
In "Get Financially Naked" Manisha and Sharon have written another great book designed to help women and men in relationships talk about money and get their finances in order. The book is written in such a straightforward, concise way that it is a pleasure to read and is also empowering and easy to understand. It also poses some great questions that can help relationship partners learn more about each other and their attitudes and experiences around money in a fun, nonjudgmental way. I highly recommend this book and "On My Own Two Feet" to women who want to get their finances in order and are looking for a simple, straightforward way to start. After reading this book and "On My Own Two Feet" I already feel more knowledgeable about finance and have a better understanding of how to set and achieve my financial goals by myself and with my partner. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read this first!, March 14, 2010
I wish I had read Get Financially Naked before I got married! A lot of us are married to our financial opposites, and Thakor and Kedar's compatibility quiz is a great place to start conversations about finances on neutral ground. Plus they provide answers to the major questions couples face and often don't know how to tackle. It's a quick, chatty read with lots of steps you can take right away as well as more long-term suggestions. The questions in the last chapter for staying on track are especially helpful. This book is on the must-read list for everyone seriously involved or thinking about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for new couples and newlyweds!, January 30, 2010
One topic that is the source of many arguments in my household is money, and I am sure I am not alone on that one. For some reason it just season like money is a foreign language between my husband and me. It is not that either of us are bad with money, but that we both want the control. Luckily, since I was a banker, my husband lets me have control and manage our money and he is pretty easy going about it.
I do want him to be involved though in how we spend and save our money so I do like to give him updates and there are times where we need to sit down and talk about our financial situation. I am also open to new ideas and thoughts to make life a little easier.

With all the financial books out there I was skeptical about this one, but I was pleasantly surprise. Other than the typical financial chapters throughout the book, there are also questions with a spot for you to answer them, tables, and lots of bullet points with tips and suggestions. I thought the book was an easy read and it had excellent ideas and ways for couples to start and work through their financial discussions.

The book is broken down into three major parts: Interpreting your current financial situation, Breaking down the costs you have together, and how to move forward together to achieve financial success. I really liked the chapter on "Investing" because that is what my husband and I are focusing on right now. For example, my favorite excerpt from the book deals with at 30 years old, would you rather save all your money to retire in your 50's or live life now and happily work into your 70's.

Overall, I think "Get Financially Naked" is a helpful book for all women. It is geared towards mainly couples and newlyweds, but even as a married woman, I got some great ideas from it. I do have a lot of friends who are not married yet and I remember what it was like when I was dating my husband and living together before we were married. It was hard to figure who paid for what and even when we got married, merging and planning for our financial future was tough as we had to merge our goals. Finally, I loved how this book was not just all writing but included visuals and a great way of organizing its ideas.

I was given this book to review. This review is 100% my opinion and has not been edited or reviewed by anyone. I was not compensated in any other way for this product review.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Get Financially Naked: How to Talk Money with Your Honey
Get Financially Naked: How to Talk Money with Your Honey by Manisha Thakor (Paperback - December 18, 2009)
$12.95 $11.13