5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific dating book for high value women
Hussey is a terrific communicator and has the ability to convey meaning while still being fun. Thus, the book is well structured, easy to read, entertaining, and full of great advice regarding flirting, attracting and approaching men, dating and getting a man to commit. He gives plenty of tips and items of advice that work in real life (proven by me!).

Hussey...
Published 17 months ago by Amazonilla

3.0 out of 5 stars Motivational with Helpful Tips - Not an Epiphany on Dating
Published 13 months ago by Shell

3.0 out of 5 stars Motivational with Helpful Tips - Not an Epiphany on Dating, June 11, 2013
This review is from: Get the Guy: Learn Secrets of the Male Mind to Find the Man You Want and the Love You Deserve (Hardcover)
I'll preface this by saying the few dating/relationship books I've flipped through or read descriptions for often come across as very condescending to women. This is especially true if meant to unveil the "male mind" and give it to us straight - the "ugly truth" type of stuff. They make women feel bad for being women. You come away from just one little paragraph feeling like men essentially don't like women (beyond the physical). We're told we need to be more feminine, but also think like men, less clingy, but not too independent - etc. Here is a book which focuses less on how women need to change their nature, needs, desires, etc, as if we're hopelessly incompatible with men by nature, and instead it focuses on social skills & positive thinking modes for attracting & developing relationships with compatible men we actually like & who are worth OUR time & energy.

None of this is earth-shattering, mind-blowing secrets that will give you some epiphany on love & life. Instead, it reads like common sense, the kind many of us missed the memo on, so that it's not so "common" after all.

This book doesn't insult your intelligence, berate you for being a woman, tell you that you have to compromise your values, or leave with some sick feeling that manipulation of men & dishonesty with your own feelings/needs is the "secret".

The explanations of male thinking is also not "boys will be boys" trash that insists sexist and misogynistic behaviors are simply "biological" for men & have to be tolerated by women. Instead of making excuses, the author manages to be honest & fair in describing common male mindsets & how & why certain negative attitudes/behaviors are triggered (much as stereotypical female negative behaviors can be triggered by crappy moves on a guys' part). Since a relationship is a dynamic, it's only fair to adjust what you can control - yourself. So you learn very subtle methods to hone your social & dating skill to basically COMMUNICATE in a way that men in general will grasp correctly.

This is why the book had some good advice & was worth the read - the basic idea is how to communicate who you are, how you feel, and what you expect accurately & in a way that is understood by men. So it's not about changing who you are so much as really communicating it more clearly. If you're the kind of girl whose friends & family & co-workers wonder why you're single because they think you're the bees knees, but for someone reason men you meet/briefly date aren't valuing you the same way, then this might be a helpful read. You're probably not sending the signals which communicate who YOU are correctly; you're leaving false & bad impressions. So the book is really about being MORE yourself with communication that others understand & which creates the desired effect.

A book which is founded on ideas about good communication & keeping integrity is one whose advice I feel I can trust & recommend. It has a "win-win" approach that doesn't degrade men or women - how to get what you desire/need while giving someone else what they desire/need too. Building mutually satisfying relationships is the goal, not manipulating your dream man into marrying you (blech - what an idea!).

I appreciate that this book is about subtle nuances too. Often we don't know what we do wrong because it's not anything big but a subtle signal, and we don't know why our positive signals are ignored & that's because they are TOO subtle. This advice rang true because I've noted men in general communicate more with action & are generally MORE sensitive than women, meaning they need LOUDER positive signals & SOFTER negative ones. The author refers to this as the "fragile male ego" which is really SENSITIVITY.

It also rang true that we tend to attract someone when not interested in them because we're being our authentic selves - so how do we replicate that comfortable inner state & natural outer state so we can be our best, authentic selves when interacting with someone we are attracted to? How can we communicate that quickly, when we may have a few hours, minutes, seconds even to inspire a guy to pursue us? This book gives basic tips on how to do that.

I emphasize this book is very basic. Do not expect an epiphany. A lot of it may feel like reminders of things you know, deep down, but often forget or even compromise consciously.

A downside: the book directs you to online videos for more "secrets" which are really just teasers which lead you to another video they want you to pay for. I can see this as being an endless goose chase designed to keep you hooked & shelling out money while learning very little. I'd have more respect for the author & brand if they took a less scam-like approach. The video they want you to buy has a long intro to sell it which does the classic "play on women's insecurities & promise grand secrets to solve all of their romance problems in a matter of days" approach, one which many dating gurus do. I find it borderline insulting & I naturally expect it to under-deliver with super obvious "insight" repeated ad nauseam just as the rest seem to. This approach is unfortunate & detracts from a brand that has the potential to be more positive & actually useful, as opposed to the insulting junk I described at the outset.

So don't expect too much & don't shell out a lot of money. There are basic principles here which are useful as reminders & to polish your social & dating skills, but no more than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific dating book for high value women, February 16, 2013

Hussey has a great insight into the male dating mind, so he is able to provide women with great advice that resonates with both women and men. Moreover, he treats women with respect and tells us to treat ourselves with self-respect, not to lose our marbles and lower our standards for any man who is not worth of us. The concept of high-value woman is empowering and so very true. Hussey doesn't tell you to play games or fake who you are, but to be true to yourself, have standards, behave like a lady, have a life of your own, and be fun and playful.

The book contains some free bonus links to some of his videos, which are really useful.

This one of those dating books that will help you to make a difference in your love life. Really.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, if anything., April 22, 2013
So okay, like every sappy woman in America, I got hooked into Ready For Love. There are numerous match-making reality TV shows, which have their value and their ridiculousness, that offer both good and misleading points on dating and finding The One. This is one of those books (or rather, any book on dating, which seems more 'serious' than a laughable and silly reality TV show) that you have to buy in secret or borrow from one of your single girlfriends because if anybody knew you had possession of such a book, that horrid and dreadful high-brow look of, why can't you get a guy, looms like a freaking rain cloud you can't shake.

Woe to the dating life and n-o-t Getting the Guy. I've always found these types of books, occupations, TV shows, etc, as being rather manipulative and encouraging women, as much as men, to show a hyper-idealized IMAGE and strive to be that image. It's a huge business, feeding into the fear and preying on the insecurities of women, and men, alike. I'm not entirely removed from my original hypothesis even after reading this book but I didn't find it a waste of time and even chuckled here and there. Rom-coms and romance novels notwithstanding, dating is about psychology as much as about the superficiality of appearances and the earnest perceptions coming into meeting men and dating in general. What we get in Hussey's book is less about manipulation (and there's still elements of inherent manipulation) but more about interpretation and building confidence through understanding how men work and how they do. It's also about bringing what You've got to the table and taking it or leaving it, for both sides.

Hussey (and what a fantastic name, by the way...though it continually reminds me of Olivia Hussey, a la Romeo and Juliet movie, 1968) dispenses modern, logical, sensible and straightforward advice that isn't revolutionary. Really. He's very honest and articulate about how he explains the male mind and why (most) women don't get it, and how we can. He talks about re-programing how women have been taught to approach dating and men. It's his belief that women shouldn't pretend they're something they're not. In fact, the lesson is being yourself and NOT putting on airs or being 'perfect' but trying to empower women as much as men, to take a step and then another. It's not about holding back, but jumping forward, maximizing your full potential and showcasing what you've already got. He emphasizes that men are just as eager to meet women, willing to commit and just terrified and that Men AND Women need to not get in each other's way. We need to get out of our own heads, put ourselves out there and pay attention to the guy who maybe trying just as hard to attract you. It's about acknowledging that no moment is going to be movie-magic awe, that no man is going to be flawless, including we the women, but creating a rapport and developing that into something deeper and maybe we can get to that moment when it Feels right. He wants women take a step back, see it in a different light but also that we don't have to lower standards. It's about taking chances, even if it hurts and keeping your sense of self and confidence. Keep at it, he says. Even if we get rejected over and over. Hard pill to swallow, but one that is valid to digest.

In a side note, is this guy married himself? I find it interesting that he gives sound advice for women to get the guy and yet, has he gotten his girl? Anyway, I enjoyed the book purely for its writing and male perspective, and less for its instructional and informative value, which I'll try. His approach is accessible, easy to understand and amusing to read. The examples, subtle advices and videos that are associated with the book were fun. He makes many valid points that I think all of us know, instinctively, but may not want to admit because then we'd run out of our typical excuses as to why you, me, her and those other women are still single. The real mystery is that I keep going back to to these types of books and haven't found 'the one' (book, or man) that works for me. Ultimately, if you've perused through one 'how to' book on dating and routes leading to the alter, you've really read them all. As to whether Mr. Hussey's advice will work for me, that remains to be seen. But to those that do, I'm so jealous of you!

2.0 out of 5 stars very mixed, May 10, 2013
I'm over half way through this book and couldn't wait to share my thoughts so far. My feelings on this book are very mixed. I've read some good advise here - don't play the hard to get game, be positive not bitchy or negative on your dates. But then there's the ridicilous - staring at guys in a bar or public place - hello creepy and desperate but the worst is the cheesy pick-up lines, I would be mortified to use. Hoping things will improve in the second half and update this review. If anyone has successfully any of these type of lines, I'd really, really love to hear from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Enlightening, May 1, 2013
So I am probably one of the biggest skeptics when it comes to "love". I can't even say the word without air quotes or the usual rolling of the eyes. So the fact that I bought this book is a miracle unto itself. I must admit that what did get my attention was Matt's sexy Aussie accent on that horrific Ready for Love show (I didn't say I was cynical about bad reality TV!). He was honestly the only thing that kept me tuned in and to be 100% transparent I would DVR the show and only watch when Matt was speaking. So you get the drift that Matt lured me into this read, right !? I found myself wanting more of those male perspective nuggets of truth that made you feel like you were being let in on a massive secret. So i bought the book the next day after the second show aired. Now let's be honest this isn't rocket science here - we're talking about men- but there were so many ah ha moments in this book where Matt just breaks it down so simply that you have to respect his honesty and his seemingly obvious betrayal of the male sex and their dirty little secrets. I won't say that I'd follow this book verbatim and wield it around as my source of life and breathe but I did find myself proselytizing a bit to my fellow single friends at work about it and putting a lot of his principles into practice in my every day life. I even challenged friends to talk to five men during the week as he does in the book to help with our "odds" and its actually been kind of fun! (I'll expect my royalties in the mail for this brand ambassador -ship!)
Listen. I'm a native NY-er and cynical stubbornness is kind of in our DNA so any book and or motivational writer that gets me to read their "self help" book cover to cover, makes me tap into my good old common sense and make me feel like there is some small light at the end of the tunnel then they can get my vote and my positive review!
Thanks Matt for a very entertaining and enlightening read. I'll let ya know if there is a decent man to be found In the Big Apple. ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Be your best self and GET THE GUY, May 1, 2013
This book is AMAZING. It truly contains life-changing advice! I have long known that I am worth the effort, and that I shouldn't settle. Now I know how to communicate to guys that I am smart, sexy, classy, and a bit of a challenge in the best way. It has been so exciting and refreshing to see my lifelong mindset change from 'how to get this guy to like me' to 'this guy is cool, but is he good enough for me? Because I am pretty incredible.' I am only 21, but I have never had a serious relationship. I have dated guys in high school and college, but it has never turned into something passionate and worth taking further. I only read this book a couple of days ago, but I can already feel my life changing. I smile more as I pass people; I am genuine and excited to speak to people; I carry myself with more pride because I view myself differently.

Matt has a ton a real-world practical advice in the book. As you read, there tips that you can put to use right away in your life seem the most exciting. As you go about your life after finishing the book, it may not be the little details that make the most impact. It may just be the idea of who you are that Matt develops (lovely, valuable, worth it), that is worth the most. Once you see yourself as a high-value woman with charisma and charm and beauty and excitement, others will too!! This isn't about changing who you are, it's about changing little habits that will bring out the best in you for everyone to see!

Also, MATTHEW HUSSEY IS SO HOT. The videos where he speaking to you are the best. That smile, that accent... SWOON.

4.0 out of 5 stars spoiler of sorts, November 19, 2013
Jennifer "keep thinking" (YPSILANTI, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
so slap me - I loathe it when people write reviews for something they haven't read. I've seen the author on Youtube- he's pretty damn good. But this book hints of "other important details" that lead to more purchases. And I have to say this - because I wish I'd heard it sooner myself. The "secret" is to be passionate about Your own dreams- be a passionate pursuer of your own life! And learn to love life today! If you meet a man, just hanging out at a bar- what will his interests in life be? Think he's a go-getter? He could be hot- but the odds that he likes what you like are slim! Sure- be open to dating- but let it be something you'll accept, if it's right for you, and if it fits your dreams (all of them- not just the dream of being a wife, mother, etc). And if he is Ever less interested in you- back off. If he comes back, great (you Only want a man who's Equally vested- period! Imagine being married and he's chasing other tail...)- but now, stay on your guard. You (every last one of you) are unique! You don't want to be wanted by Lonely-at-the-Moment man. Love your life. A mature, masculine, Man- wants to pursue a confident, passionate, life loving woman! If he doesn't pursue you- he either isn't interested in what makes you unique (which means you will never have enough in common to make a relationship work), he's not emotionally ready, or he's looking to play the field! Do you want any of those men?... This guy has far More information- and from what I know so far, it's pretty solid- but the core is all above. There are millions of people living unhappily ever after... only a man who appreciates your dreams and is equally vested in the relationship (with the same agenda you have) is going to make you Happier. I have been happier Single than I was in any previous relationship - now that I get this. And I never sweat it if a guy backs away- thank God!! for saving me from someone not into the same things- I really can be happy single forever. I'd Love the love of my life to come along- but I doubt he'll show up while I'm stressing over why I haven't found him yet- he'll show up smack dab in the middle of one of my passionate pursuits- or I'll be happy as is :) sure- one is more fun- but the other is still AMAZING!!! Love Your Life first! Relationships should be Easy (at least Most of the time)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Much Use for Me, May 13, 2013
This book assumes you have a wide social circle, are successful and have access to meet lots of single men and the ability to pick and choose. The basic principles are sound, especially the part of about a man not treating you right not being high value. I like how the book discourages settling for less. I am at an age where it is very difficult to meet single men and I don't have single women to do things with so although this is sound advice, it isn't likely to be much help in my situation. I will pass this book onto my 27 year-old niece.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old, same old, April 14, 2013
Nothing earth shattering. I have NO idea where all the great reviews came from????...His family? His friends? He's a young guy and his gives the advice of a young guy active in the bar scene. If you are in your forties most of this is not applicable. His chapter titles over promise and under deliver. Disappointed I spent the money, the time and bought into the media hype. Lesson learned.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent advice for navigating the modern dating scence, April 20, 2014
This book is helping to save my dating life because before I couldn't talk to hot guys without getting tongue tied--I had to have their approval and since I didn't go out to meet a lot of guys, their opinion of me mattered too much. I learned a lot about being comfortable in my own skin, being both playful and ambitious in my conversations with guys, using any age as an advantage, being approachable, not trying to hard to impress someone, and developing my personality (not relying on looks alone to keep a guy's attention). The quote "There is someone for everyone" really encourages me not to give up. Put yourself out there to be around as many guys as possible so that you can be selective. Most important, be certain of your worth and maintain your standards.

$25.99 $14.63