5.0 out of 5 stars Complete, Comprehensive, Creative..., August 13, 2008
This review is from: Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living (Paperback)
"Get it Ripe" is a unique vegan recipe book that also includes comprehensive and accurate information on food.
The first 100 pages of the book offer truly useful and understandable information. Jae's friendly dialect is warm, supportive, and non-judgemental. Most of the other nutrition books I've read have been aggressively coercive (and are either frustratingly vague or overwhelmingly specific and technical). "Get it Ripe" is uniquely easy to read and understand.
By the time you finish reading the first part of the book, you'll have a solid understanding of the effects different foods have on the human body. The next 20 or so pages discuss appropriate kitchen appliances and pantry necessities. The next 10-ish pages address the preparation of grains and legumes, complete with color photos of each type of grain and legume. The next 5 pages offer great information on baking with whole grains, including a list of alternate flours (brown rice flour, etc.) and their nutritional and baking benefits.

And then, the recipes! This section is a good 140 pages, divided into Drinks (11 recipes)
Breakfasts (15 recipes)
Muffins/Biscuits/Quickbreads (12 recipes)
Dips and Spreads (8 recipes)
Salads and Dressings (13 recipes)
Sauces/Gravies/Marinades (10 recipes)
Soups (15 recipes)
Main Dish Bowls/Additional Entrees (18 recipes)
Cakes/Pies/Crumbles (14 recipes)
Cookies/Puddings/Other Sweet Treats (26 recipes)
The full-page color photos are (of course!) mouth-watering. The recipes are oh so easy to follow, and most are incredibly simple (e.g. 10 easy-to-find ingredients, 5 steps). Jae does a wonderful job of creating gourmet flavors with healthful ingredients and minimal preparation. I myself am eager to try the Portobello Burgers with Sunchoke Oven Fries (10 ingredients, 6 steps).
"Get it Ripe" sums up with a few pages on detoxification, and 16 fabulous menu ideas. There's also a comprehensive resource list and index.

"Get it Ripe" is one of the best cookbook/nutrition books I have ever bought! And given the size of my kitchen bookshelf, that's saying a lot! Although I just recently got it, I expect "Get it Ripe" to be one the most used cookbooks in my collection! Thank you Jae!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook and Nutrition Book, August 26, 2008
I accidently stumbled upon this book. I never read the accompanying blog and new nothing about the author. I live overseas so it's a big deal for me to order books and I have a very long wish list. I just had a good feeling about this one and I was not disappointed! There is so much information inside this book aside from recipes. The info is organized well and easy to read and understand. The author has a fresh and balanced approach to holistic health and nutrition.

These recipes I have made so far and have all been great:
Get Up and Go Smoothie

I can't wait to try:
Carob Chai Cake with Cardamom Icing
Mocha Fudge Pudding Cake
Glazed Lemon Poppyseed Cake

Again, not living in North America, another thing I REALLY appreciate is that the recipes do not require exotic or difficult to find ingredients. If there is an ingredient that might not be readily available, there is always a substitution listed for it. Ms Steele, I could kiss you for that!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful contribution to vegan cooking, July 1, 2008
John P. Plummer (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Having appreciated Jae Steele's blog for some time now, I was delighted to see her new cookbook, and it does not disappoint. A nutritionist, Jae provides extensive nutritional/health information in an open, informative style, leaving it to her readers to decide how to apply her guidance. Both vegans and non-vegans will surely enjoy her very tasty recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Wonderful Cookbook and Whole Foods Guide, January 15, 2009
Ever since purchasing this book on a hunch several months ago, I've found that its getting the most use out of all my numerous cookbooks, including many vegan cookbooks. This book is simply chalk-full of incredibly helpful information on vegan and whole foods cooking with a style that is open and approachable and never preachy. As a long-time vegetarian who was in need of a re-evaluation of my eating habits, this book has been invaluable. I thought I knew alot about foods and healthy eating, but this book has truly opened up the windows and let some fresh air in. She sorts through all the latest info coming out now on nutrition, cuts through all the buzz, and lays it all out in an easily digestible and playful manner. The recipes and the wealth of information makes healthy eating easy and enjoyable. Thank you, Jae!

I love how well the book is laid out and how well-written and accessible it is. I appreciate the coding of every recipe regarding gluten, soy, nightshade-free or raw/living. I use the whole book (I've never done that before) - from all the tidbits of information in the first part of the book about nutrition and the energetics of food through the incredibly helpful charts to the scrumptious recipes and the menu ideas at the end. The whole book feels like a loving gift to our bodies.

I've been making at least a couple of these recipes per week and one is more yummy than the next. And I love that many of the recipes also include information on the nutritional value of the dish and other tidbits of info, all written in Jae's friendly, easy-going style.

I highly recommend this book if you are looking for an easy to use resource on developing a healthier relationship to food and eating. This is the book for you if you want to know more about whole foods and how individual foods effect our bodies well-being. Or, if you just want a great collection of vegan recipes that are not only delicious but are really good for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid vegan cookbook, January 4, 2010
This book has lots of information on general health as well as more specific stuff about nutrition, handy guides to sprouting grains and beans and cooking beans and grains.

This cookbook definitely has a focus on healthy whole grains, which I appreciate and avoiding pre-packaged convenience foods. That said, many of the recipes are still fast and straight-forward, like the Sesame Kale Soba.

My favorite section is definitely the baking one, which is pretty substantial, and includes muffins, cookies, and cakes (the Cowgirl Cookies are especially good).

The soup chapter is also full of lots of winners.

There's a nice chunk of pictures interspersed in the middle. There's also at least a little introduction to each recipe, which I really like in cookbooks to give me inspiration to try different recipes.

In short, if you're looking for a vegan cookbook with a healthy focus and tasty recipes, especially if you enjoy baking, Get it Ripe is a good contender.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, October 28, 2008
this is an awesome, whole foods vegan cookbook, which is great for vegans and non-vegans alike. packed full of nutritional information, it is an excellent resource for people who want to learn about food and nutrition. the recipes themselves are delicious. easy to prepare, not many hard to find ingredients, clear directions... wonderfully written! i would whole heartedly recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful starting point for new vegans, October 3, 2008
This book has unique recipes. It is worth the price of the book for the Carob Chai Cake with Cardamom Icing. Normally, I don't do carob but my father can no longer have chocolate. So, glad I had made it for him. I have since made it 3 times.

I think this book is great for new vegans. It has helpful info and you will get started out right. This with Local Bounty would be all one needed at the beginning or maybe at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Tasty and Healthy Recipes, September 13, 2011
I borrowed this book from the library and renewed it twice. I didn't want to take it back! Finally I ordered a copy for myself today so I can return the library copy. Now hopefully someone else can discover this great book.
The recipes are easy, tasty, and healthy. Every recipe I have tried has been wonderful from the Good Shepherds Pie to the Maple Flax Cookies, this is an excellent find and a valued addition to my cookbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for everyone's cook book collection!, August 20, 2011
Jae Steele is my newest cook book author crush! Get it Ripe is in my top 5 "go to" vegan cookbooks. Like some of the other reviewers, I was unaware of Jae's blog. I just know I have stumbled upon a gem of a cook book. Although I myself do not call myself a vegan (vegetarian, yes, for over 35 years now)this book inspires me to create more vegan meals and treats.

The recipes for muffins are amazing! I've made the Buckwheat Blueberry Muffins several times, shared them with other who immediately need to have that recipe. The Banana Chocolate Chip muffins are out of this world. No one would even suspect them of being vegan.

The recipes are easy and straight forward. I also like having all of the nutritional information that is included in the beginning of this book. I think it is perfect for people who are interested in vegan cuisine as well as vegan old timers. Even if you are not vegan or have no intention of becoming vegan, this book is full of recipes that can be enjoyed by all. It's a must for anyone who has a vegan loved one that they want to feed and impress.

5.0 out of 5 stars VegNews Magazine Review, April 19, 2010
At first glance, Get It Ripe might seem like just another in the laundry list of vegan cookbooks put out by cute, punk-ish women. While it's true that author Jae Steele has put out her fair share of food-focused zines--which undoubtedly ups her punk cred--her efforts for GIR go way beyond the basics. With sections on everything from the warming properties of food to how the body actually processes nutrients, this book is less a cookbook than an all-in-one guide to healthy vegan living, for which Steele's holistic-nutritionist training is put to good use. That said, Steele isn't slacking on the food. With recipes like Spice Swirl Bundt Cake with Buttahmilk Glaze--yes, Steele gets style points for her variation on "butter"--and a Pesto White Bean Bowl, there's plenty of variation in her culinary offerings. Nearly all of her recipes are gluten-free, and soy- or nightshade-free selections are clearly marked for those with food sensitivities.

Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living
Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living by jae steele (Paperback - April 1, 2008)
$23.95 $21.40