Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on November 24, 2012
I'm enjoying this book quite a bit but I do find that the author repeats himself too often, as if to remind us of what he just said on the last page and it gets boring re-reading the same stuff. I like the "top 10" lists and I find the technical jargon a bit over-my-head, but overall, it's good.
on September 14, 2012
This is a great book to get your body healthy. Even if you are not planning on getting pregnant for a few years or not planning on getting pregnant at all! This is a really great way to help get healthy!
on March 10, 2010
I've been hunting all over for books that discuss preparations for getting pregnant. I've had a hard time finding ones that focus solely on preparing your body and not fighting infertility (while those are definitely useful books, they weren't what I was looking for). This book covers in great detail everything you can do to prepare your body (and your husband's/partner's) well before trying to conceive. From food to exercise to managing stress - and the author provides simple steps in the form of measurable goals for each of the areas, which is a huge plus. So many books tell you what to do but now how or why to do it - Dr. Lu covers all these areas as he addresses each recommendation - and they are all backed up with research and studies.

The tone could potentially come off as know-it-all and pushy but not if you read it realizing he is an experienced doctor. He tells it how it is, without encouraging paranoia and obsession, and that's just how it should be. I highly recommend this to anyone who is planning to try to conceive in the near (or even distant - the more time to prepare the better) future.
on November 3, 2013
I would not recommend this book to any woman preparing to get pregnant. Poorly researched conclusions will lead you to believe that anything you do will cause your baby to be unhealthy and have a mental illness. Maternal Stress causes ADHD and Maternal Flu causes autism are just two of the scare tactics employed in this book. I will be sending this book back asap.
on August 17, 2010
This book is amazing. It's like sitting down with a trusted friend who's also a physician. The author conveys important information in an authoritative yet reassuring manner. I highly recommend this book.
on March 1, 2013
This book definitely explains in a ton of detail everything a mother should know before becoming pregnant. I highly recommend reading this book prior to conceiving. I learned a lot I did not know!
on May 30, 2014
Very informative and accessible. I fund this book to be thoroughly in addressing both more obvious and lesser known factors in preconceptional heath. Most helpful if read about 6-9 months prior to trying to conceive.
on December 3, 2013
Out of all the "baby" books I purchased, this by far is the most educational. I purchased this book when we were just discussing starting to try for our first child, and I am so glad I bought it. There are a lot of details about nutrition, and a lot of valuable information that my other "baby" and "pregnancy" books gloss over. I do not agree that any information presented is a "scare tactic" as some other reviewers mentioned. Instead, I found it to be simply a great information source to consider when planning to conceive a child. As with any book, the reader may choose to agree/disagree with any information presented...and I appreciate reading through this book and making the best decisions for me. If you are looking for a high-level/glossy-fun book, this is not for you - this book goes into details about preparation, diet, nutrition, etc. for the more detailed reader. Because of this book I feel more informed as I am now in my 5th month of pregnancy with my first child!
on June 27, 2014
I have been thinking of planning pregnancy for awhile and I could not find any information to prepare my body. Not even my doctor could give me such good info! I love that it has a part for the man as well.
on February 19, 2012
This is just the standard advice we've all heard about healthy living packaged as a preconception plan. If you're the type who is interested in a book about preparing your body for pregnancy, you probably are the type who already knows the following: Stay away from sugar/refined foods, alcohol, and junk food, don't heat up your food in plastic containers, watch out for high mercury fish, air out your dry cleaning, etc etc. The only pregnancy specific information in the book was to avoid soft cheeses and deli meats - but again, nothing new. The book is really repetitive, too, so on top of not offering any new information it's kind of annoying to read.