5.0 out of 5 stars IT HAS POTENTIAL TO HELP PIRIFORIS SYNDROME; NOT HARD TO DO
In hopes of controlling the pain from my sciatic problem, I decided to check out this DVD in spite of its mixed reviews.

Published on February 7, 2011 by William R. Drake

1.0 out of 5 stars I was very disappointed with this DVD
Review on Get Rid of Sciatic Pain for Good with Kathi Casey

Published on June 30, 2008 by The Art Turtle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars IT HAS POTENTIAL TO HELP PIRIFORIS SYNDROME; NOT HARD TO DO, February 7, 2011
William R. Drake (Nevada City, CA USA) - See all my reviews

Kathi Casey's three exercises (combined with deep breathing to bring oxygen to the area of concern) are designed to stretch the piriformis muscle that goes across the butt (as well as other muscles). When that muscle gets tense or tight, it puts pressure on the sciatic nerve and causes pain. In some cases of sciatica, the pain is relieved or avoided by the stretching of this muscle. She advocates doing the exercise program daily, whether a sciatic problem is active or not.

One Amazon reviewer focused on how impossible it is for the average person to do these exercises. After reviewing the DVD, I find that assessment very puzzling. First of all, Casey makes it clear that you do not need to do all three exercises, but just one or two of them. Secondly, she shows variations of the first two in order to accommodate different fitness levels. I am 65 years old, do not have a flexible body, and have not done a regular yoga routine in 35 years. I have no trouble doing at least "very modified" versions of her first two exercises (not always bending as far forward as she does, etc.), and doing her third exercise sufficiently. If someone is "heavy-set" and/or has a REALLY inflexible body, maybe they can't do any of these exercises (as modified), but I have to imagine that most people can do at least one or two of them (as modified).

Kathi Casey, who demonstrates the exercises, is not a super-model and the DVD, while "adequate," is not some hi-tech production filmed on the shores of Hawaii. WHO CARES? The film quality is reasonable, the purpose behind the exercises is well explained, and the exercises are sufficiently demonstrated, with very good instructions. And if they work....well, they work. That is what is important to me.

I just got the DVD from Amazon and watched a couple of times, while doing the exercises. Frankly, my sciatic problem is caused by a herniated disc, so I am not sure how much it will be helped by stretching the piriformis muscle. For people whose sciatic problem is caused by a tight piriformis muscle (piriformis syndrome), this DVD would progbably be more helpful. I would guess that stretching the piriformis muscle, and other muscles the exercises relate to, would be helpful "to some degree" for anyone that has sciatica. (Another DVD that would probably be more helpful for bulging or herniated disc and sciatica [among other back problems] is "Yoga Therapy for Back Pain" with Emily Kligerman. Some of Kligerman's poses are similar to stretches given to me by my chiropractor & my osteopathic physician, just with more movement and less time "holding" the position.)

1.0 out of 5 stars I was very disappointed with this DVD, June 30, 2008
Review on Get Rid of Sciatic Pain for Good with Kathi Casey

My suggestion is Do NOT BUY THIS DVD unless you are in the upper 2% percentile of athletic prowess. Four people witnessed this DVD with me. One a yoga teacher, one a Tai Chi teacher, and two English teachers and myself a Teacher Trainer for Art Teachers who wish to teach in the public schools. The presentation is misleading and irresponsible. I was very disappointed. The presentation does not take into consideration the audience she is marketing the tape to reach and help. She gives no simple lead in exercises that someone with painful sciatica can do. Her presentation ignores the first and most important aspect of teaching. Know your audience, communicate to their needs, and present levels of entry that are reachable.

Her approach is friendly, and she is probably a very nice person, and she probably meant well. She exhibits the fact that she knows and can do yoga on very high level. She is very flexible.

I just need information from someone who is more conscious in her teaching. I have done gentle yoga off and on for years, but my sciatica is painful and Kathi Casey gives no real entry yoga postures. Most of her exercises would be better received if she included using a chair or props that would in reality be much safer, easier and doable at the beginning when simple moves create more sciatic. One of her poses, I have myself done on the edge of my bed for years. It is a helpful pose, but it has not cured my sciatica.

The following 4 misleading marketing statements are on the outside casing of the DVD I purchased for $14.95. I wish I could get my money back.

"Three Simple Exercises that anyone can do!" Who and where are those people who have a painful case of sciatica or no sciatica and are capable of doing the difficult exercises presented on this video when just bending over or taking a step can create sciatic pain.

"Get Relief From Sciatic Pain Now!" I do not think so, not with her presentation.

"These Exercises Really Work" On whom, the 2% who can do what she can do.

"At last a Simple Way to Get Rid of Sciatic Pain Without Medication!" You would need medication to do the exercises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three stretches, April 20, 2008
E. Catlos "lizicat" (Stillwater, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This workout is comprised of 3 stretches to get rid of sciatica. I am glad to know of them and have incorporated it into my yoga practice. It has helped a lot. She is very personable, and you only need to watch this video once before you can do these stretches yourself when you feel like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels sooo good., March 17, 2008
L. Tillmans (southern Maryland) - See all my reviews
I've been bothered by sciatic pain for the last few years. Can't ride in a car very long or sit in a meeting without discomfort. These exercises have helped to ease this problem and feel great while I'm doing them. Kathi explains what causes the pain and why the exercises help to prevent the problem. These hip openers are a great addition to any warm up routine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Short Term Relief for those Comfortable with Yoga, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Get Rid of Sciatic Pain For Good! (Amazon Instant Video)
The stretches here definitely feel good and are different than the same old "chair stretch" suggested everywhere. I particularly like the incorporation of accupressure. I wish it had included some suggestions for strength training, since real recovery from sciatica/piriformis syndrome should really include strengthening and stretching. But it is simple and easy to follow, especially if you are already familiar with yoga. You're not going to be cured after 1 viewing, obviously, but it is easy enough to do on your own in front of the TV.

I got the amazon instant download for $7.99, and it was worth it. Would probably be mad if I bought the $20 video for only 3 stretches though.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Relief!, May 2, 2008
I was in horrible pain and had diminished mobility four years before and following three knee replacement surgeries. The surgeries were all within a one year period. I FINALLY found relief with Kathi Casey. This DVD is very important to me. I now know that if I follow Kathi's routine every night that I will be pain free the following day. What a relief!

5.0 out of 5 stars It really, really works!, April 16, 2008
Alice (Port Republic, Md.) - See all my reviews
I was surpised at how quickly and easily the exercises really worked. A great 23 minute program! Thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars watch it once and that's all you need., November 9, 2009
Get past the aweful video and realize that it does help. You need to watch this with grain of salt to get past Kathy and her 80s hair and amateur filming skills. However, she shows you 3 yoga poses, in 30 minutes (which I could show you in 3 minutes). I've been doing these poses and it has worked very well to ease my sciatic pain. It's such an elusive, yet debilitating pain, and these stretches hit exactly in the right spot. When I start to feel it come back, I start doing these stretches once or twice a day it goes away. But you only need to watch it once, then you can do the stretches yourself and not have to suffer through the video again. I'd give it one star for dear kathy and her nauseous presentation, but 5 stars for the efficacy of the video content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, December 5, 2012
I had an accident a year ago and a disk collapsed on my sciatic nerve. I bought this video to help with my stretching. She has excellent stretches for sciatica.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG...it worked instantly, June 1, 2014
This review is from: Get Rid of Sciatic Pain For Good! (Amazon Instant Video)
I had already been to two doctors...tried multiple meds, double heating pads and some exercises and was ready to scream...in fact I did and cried too. I have never been in pain like this and dreaded living with it the rest of my life. I love walking and am in good shape... how could this happen to me? I got the DVD last Thursday (today is Sunday) and was already planning to get an appointment with a spine doctor ... AND THEN I PLAYED THE DVD. Although I cannot sit "Indian style" I was able to pull my leg across my straightened leg and lean forward and breathe. the pain virtually disappeared. The Yoga downward dog one was even better. I can even do it standing up. I found that what felt like my muscle across my buttocks being stuck... went away. Today, when my bottom started feeling tight, I played my 3 fav songs on my phone and did the 3 exercises. Amazing...buying this DVD is the best investment I have EVER made! I plan to give this info to my doctors. Thank you, Kathi!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›