Published on May 5, 2008 by Craig Matteson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very useful
Published on July 10, 2008 by Adele Drake

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very useful, July 10, 2008
This review is from: Get to the Top on Google: Tips and Techniques to Get Your Site to the Top of the Search Engine Rankings -- and Stay There (Paperback)
I wanted to use the structured approach to SEO presented in this book but it was mainly a waste of my time. The system is based on the frequency of searchs for your keywords but can not be used since the suggested tools are no longer available and/or based on very old data. SEO changes rapidly and I was hoping this recently published book would be more topical. Frequent plugs for his website are a distraction and the book is unnecessarily jargon heavy. It did get me to follow through on some things so I'm giving it 2 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, June 13, 2008
Sandpiper (Cambridge, MA) - See all my reviews
May be I am already sufficient at SEO, but I could not find much new information that helped me improve my web sites. It also seems that this book is geared towards getting more customers for the author's web site (monthly subscription, readers of the book get the first 6 months for free). There are references to his web site all over the book, usually with a remark in the nature of: "I will not explain all details, but check out my web site".

5.0 out of 5 stars A very solid introduction and guide to Search Engine Optimization using Google, May 5, 2008
I love how new technologies also breed experts to help us understand and guide us through their complexities. David Viney calls himself "The SEO Expert". So, what is SEO? It is Search Engine Optimization. That is, how can your company make the best use of marketing to your customers using search engines, in this case Google. Since 84% of all people doing searches on the web never get past the second page of search results, it makes sense to do what you can to get your web pages as close to the top as possible.

Viney is very clear about the work involved and the kinds of businesses that do best in these efforts. He provides a seven step process to help you optimize the trade-offs you face in trying to get seen in the Google search results pages.

The first step is to get the right words and phrases. But for whom? You have to first decide what you can best sell and provide over the web and who those customers are. It isn't everything to everyone. He provides the D-A-D process where you make a list (a long list) of keywords and keyphrases. This is supposed to be a laundry list of as many possible keywords and phrases that you can think of. Then you winnow them down to the very best and most relevant items on that list, and put them in your pages in the right way.

The second step takes you through the process Google uses to discover and rank your pages (a very cursory explanation) and how you need to design and arrange your web pages to "court the crawl" of Googlebot. Step 3 is about priming your pages and discusses the difference between Google's main and supplemental indexes and how to tell which of your pages is in which index. Viney also warns you off certain popular practices that may well get you penalized by Google.

Step 4 is all about developing high quality links using content, relationships with web content providers, and avoiding penalties from developing too many cheap links too quickly. The fifth step examines the trade-offs of paid advertising on Google, its dangers, benefits, and when it is likely to be more effective for you. I like Viney's honesty about the need for experienced and high quality web copywriters. You can waste a lot of money with the wrong ads that attract lots of non-customers. You also need to have great web designs for the customers you attract to land on and will help convert them from someone browsing to the web into purchasing customers.

Step 6 talks about getting your site ready today for the mapping and geographic technologies that are rising and will likely be part of everyone's web experience soon. Step 7 talks about the tools Google and others provide to help you track and analyze your web traffic.

A useful book that doesn't require you to be very technical. However you must be able to be somewhat familiar with the argot and jargon of the web to get through this stuff.

Reviewed by Craig Matteson, Ann Arbor, MI

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, May 12, 2008
This is a great book enjoyed it thoroughly. He explains everything in a simple manner and all the online examples he gives work perfectly. I continue to reference the book now. He also has a great forum which i posted a question on and he replied within hours. Great buy worth every penny.

Luke

2.0 out of 5 stars Style over Substance, November 14, 2008
I have to admit I had another SEO book in my hands at the bookstore and picked this one because the cover mimicked Google's homepage logo so well. I figured the majority of my clicks would come from Google so a book that resembled their homepage design was probably a good bet. I thought the author surely had to be vetted by Google to be allowed to use their Logo. I was wrong. Also the fact the author appears to be from the UK based on his site address is a bit of a concern for me as a US marketer.

I will admit there is useful content here, but I was just expecting more from someone who touts themselves as "The SEO expert". Maybe the truth is that SEO is really not that hard. Then again as with many things in life they are not that hard but just take dedication, because their are no shortcuts in SEO.

I do agree with his first tip for success however, that you should "Find a great niche and great content". I'd think twice before making this my first SEO book, but it is probably worth skimming through.

3.0 out of 5 stars Search Engine Optimization, September 13, 2009
If you have been a webmaster or webmistress for almost ten years then a lot of the information in this book will be familiar to you. You will have probably picked up ideas about search engine optimization just from building your site and from being online. At least that has been the case for me. If however you have never heard of meta tags or thought about keywords and descriptions then this book has a lot to offer. It was interesting to learn that 33% of all searches are for two-word combinations. You may not have ever thought of pluralizing your keywords so there are many good ideas.

I'd say the best part of the book is about keywords and how to find the best ones for your site. Throughout the book there are URLs of helpful sites although the three I was interested in were no longer valid and produced error pages. Since things can change online from day to day I'd suggest you go to David Viney's site for updates. You can sign up to be a member and it is free for six months. In that way you can participate in his forum or ask questions pertaining to your website. As far as I can tell his blog seems to be free so that might be of interest to you.

I know the ideas in this book work because I've proved them in my own website. By having great keywords I've seen some of my pages listed on the first page of a google search. Try looking up "caramel éclairs" at yahoo or google. The page I created is listed first in yahoo and is on the first page when I look it up on google. Other people found my recipe and copied and pasted it to other sites that are also at the top. One actually gave me credit for the recipe with a link to my site.

So basically I'd recommend this book to new webmasters and webmistresses who know a little about HTML and where to put the meta tags. They should be placed between your <head> and <head> tags at the top of each website page.

They look like this:

<meta name="keywords" content="cooking, recipes, printable recipes.">

<meta name="description" content="Seasoned with Love focuses on cooking and has
links to the best cooking sites on the web.">

Just replace the words "cooking, recipes, printable recipes" with your own keywords.
Same with the description. Replace "Seasoned with Love focuses on cooking and has links to the best cooking sites on the web" with your own description. It is really that easy. This book will explain how to obtain the best keywords so I'd recommend it highly for that aspect alone.

I can also recommend:

Click Here to Order: Stories of the World's Most Successful Internet Marketing Entrepreneurs

~The Rebecca Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Informative book, December 26, 2008
J. Paille "Schwarz" (New mexico, United States) - See all my reviews
I am new to this world of website development and search engine optimization and was lucky enough to stumble across this book. If you're planning a web campaign this book is a must. From Domain name selection to targeted results oriented information this book succinctly covers the whole concept. It is heavily packed with information and in my case will require a second read with a highlighter in hand, notes and post-its all over. Great advice on the "keyword rich domain'. A solid read for anyone serious about developing a winning online presence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, December 11, 2008
This is the best SEO book I have found thus far. I am kind of new to it and I got some good ideas. It was a little off-putting for the author to flog his own site so much... BUT... his site was very helpful to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great up-to-date guide on SEO techniques., August 1, 2008
TechExec (Central IL - USA) - See all my reviews
If you truly are an expert in search engine optimization (SEO), this book may not be of much value to you. I don't understand why an "expert" would even purchase this book (or any other SEO guide). Personally given the frequent changes of search engine methods and criteria, I don't believe there are any true SEO experts out there. There is always something new to learn.

All authors face the challenge of keeping their content current as they're trying to finish writing their book. It takes a while to get a book from start to on-the-shelf. I think this author has done a great job in this respect.

If you are new to SEO or have not been successful in achieving high search engine rankings, I think you'll find this book extremely valuable. Although I am familiar with SEO strategies and techniques, I found this book to be very well written and contains useful information.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book with great tips!, July 13, 2008
This book is spectacular, clearly written, and you have confidence in the author from the beginning that he is an expert. The book clearly shows you the current "Best guesses" of what to do in order to get to the top of Google, or if not the top, appropriate places to maximize your ROI.

I give this book only 4 out of 5 stars as I felt the author could have done with a bit less self promotion of mentioning his website's entire URL several times per chapter. His website is a SUBSCRIPTION service making it feel a bit tacky. What he was saying essentially is that "This is the way things are now, but things could change any moment, and you can get the most updated list of X, Y, and/or Z at my site..." It's definitely very true what he was saying and if his website was free, (Even though a 6 month subscription is free with the purchase of the book), I don't think it would have appeared as shameless.

That really is just a small knock on an otherwise spectacular book that I feel could benefit most SEO specialists/entrepreneur's/or even just web site hobbyists. The book is cheap, and at 220 pages can be easily read by even the busiest people in under a week.

Also, the author is from the UK, and gives plenty of information on how to rank well in other countries, and really focus's on the globalization of your website (Well, as much as you can focus in a few dozen pages). For people who live outside the USA I would think this book would be ESPECIALLY helpful for them as this section is certainly something that is not found in most SEO books that I am aware of. Being from the USA as I am, I found the section interesting, but not necessarily useful for what I was looking for however.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›