4.0 out of 5 stars About damn time!!!....
Published on July 5, 2006 by mondo

2.0 out of 5 stars one of the worst albums by BNH!!
I am a hardcore BNH fan but this must be their work work ever..seems rushed. Creatively they seem lost, in this album....probably only one track stood out for me, remaining tracks just compel you to press the skip button
Published 8 months ago by Patrick Foya

4.0 out of 5 stars About damn time!!!...., July 5, 2006
This review is from: Get Used to It (Audio CD)
I actually thought this day would never come. By the time "All About The Funk" came out I was sure we would never see N'Dea reunite with the Heavies...But the stars must've been aligned. This album is better than I expected. It feels less polished. It's nice to hear the rawness of drums on "Sex God". "Music" sounds like the only song that may be programmed but it's live elements are just kickin'!! "Get Used To It", "Love Is" "I Don't Know Why" are among top favorites. They did a great job lyrically and musically. I am not knocking Siedah or Carleen. I truly enjoyed "Shelter" and "Trunk Funk" with Carleen's contributions. Every vocalist they've had have more than held their own but it's so great to hear them together and I can't wait to see them live. Welcome back!!! If you want a change of pace with RnB or Soul this won't disappoint. Did I say it was great to see/hear them back together?

5.0 out of 5 stars Reunion, October 18, 2006
This review is from: Get Used to It (Audio CD)
N'Dea Davenport is back with the Brand New Heavies where she truly belongs and I couldn't be happier. I was devastated when she left back in the mid-90s. The Heavies tried to soldier on and 1997's "Shelter" with Seidah Garrett was a great album but I've always held the view that N'Dea and BNH go together like apple pie and ice cream - good enough separately but simply fantastic together.

The result is a return to form and one of the best records from the group in many years. The sound is totally funky, the classic funk of the Brand New Heavies all true fans know and love. And N'Dea is back on the vocals - soulful, rich and urgent as ever. On the lead single, "I Don't Know Why (I Love You)" for instance, there's not really much to the lyrics but her voice is so endearing, I couldn't care less. This girl could sing out the names in the phone book and I'd still want to listen to her.

Production is tight too, stripped down, and with the grittier, more soulful edges of the first few records. Drums are heavy, basslines are tight. The Heavies are very firmly back in the business of funky music with no hype, no gimmicks and a real back to basics album that's well overdue. I love all the songs but some firm favourites apart from the already mentioned, include "Get Used To It", "I Just Realized", "Sex God", "We Won't Stop", "Love Is" and "I've Been Touched".

This is a contender for any lover of acid jazz, soul or funk. Or if, like me, you're a BNH fan who found the last couple of efforts a bit lacking, you'll be pleased to find the magic has returned. (Although not quite to the heady levels of "Brother Sister" or the "Ultimate Trunk Funk" ep).

Check out a copy now.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's everything I hoped, June 30, 2006
This review is from: Get Used to It (Audio CD)
I was heartbroken when The Brand New Heavies went their separate ways. I understood the need to do different types of projects as one grows musically and personally but that still didn't stop me from wishing that it didn't have to end this way. I had long ago resigned myself to replayng my Brand New CDs from the 90s over and over again with no hope of anything new except for maybe an occasional remix CD every couple of years. I was SHOCKED to find out that a new CD was about to drop. I rushed to get it without even allowing myself to think that it could be anywhere near as good as the older stuff. IT'S EVEN BETTER!!! This CD is everytihng I've always loved always about the Brand New Heavies and even more. It's soulful, it's well produced, it's different, it's just smart, good, fun, sexy music. If anyone is look to groove to something that is familiar but also edgy and different then this is the CD for you. The Brand New Heavies are back in a big way and though I missed them while they were gone, this CD was so worth the wait! I only hope they are not teasing us and will continue to put out this type of music because it is desparately needed. In a culture that seems to value a semi-literate hook over a remixed song from the 70s it's refreshing to hear a group that actually cares about the art rather than staying in the Top 10. Bravo to The Brand New Heavies for staying true blue. I have a feeling that even those who are not aware of their earlier stuff are going to become new-found fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't understand some of the reviews on here!, February 17, 2007
trevtnyc "trevtnyc" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Used to It (Audio CD)
This is a true band that actually plays real instruments, no samples, real horns, true acid jazz and R&B with a lead singer that will knock you down with her voice, and people have the nerve to say it's "underwhelming" and "boring". Welcome to how it used to be and should be again, folks! I saw TBNH at the Apollo last October and they the word "amazing" isn't good enough! It's been a long time since I've been to a concert where the entire crowd was on it's feet dancing from the first song to the last! N'Dea is back home where she belongs, and this CD proves it! The rest of you can go back to buying sampled artists who use all electronic junk, I'll stick with the "real deal", thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars They put The Funk Back in It!, June 30, 2006
This review is from: Get Used to It (Audio CD)
Damn they came back strong on this one!I got stuck on "We've Got" for six times,"Sex God", & "All Fired Up" had me going! The other cuts are also great tunes If you dig live musicians & great singing pick it up. Carlos "NYC Bass Playa"

4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC, August 1, 2006
Malridge Mace, IV (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Used to It (Audio CD)
I like this latest cd from the Heavies. No, it is no "Shelter", but how many bands or singers duplicate a successful cd point for point? The Brand New Heavies with N'dea returning to the fold is like a good, familiar friend -- someone you get used to having around, warts and all. I think if they can keep the momentum with the regrouping, we will see bigger and better things from the group in the future. And let's face it, it had to be a bit difficult getting the groove back after diverse talents as Siedah Garrett and Carleen Anderson as leads. But there is no mistaking - this is a good cd. Best cuts: We've Got; I Don't Know Why I Love You; We Won't Stop; Music; All Fired Up.

4.0 out of 5 stars N'dea Puts the 'Brand New' back in the Heavies..., June 28, 2006
This review is from: Get Used to It (Audio CD)
Some people may say that Acid Jazz is dead and forgotten, but this CD should make people remember why it's such a fantastic genre. The BNH are the tops in the genre, and are back along with their most emotive, dynamic and endearing singer, N'dea Davenport, at the helm.

Let's put it this way...N'dea just fits like a glove for this band. From the opening grind gangsta-lean funk of 'We've Got', to the fun-funk of 'Right On' (a funky jam in the vein of "Let's All Have A Good Time/I Like It") to the funk-dance hybrid "All Fired Up", this is the Heavies at their best.

And N'dea sasses all over this record - From the 30s betty boop cabaret singer vibe she evokes on 'Sex God', to Chaka Kahn-esque wails on "Let's Do It Again", she just shines.

The band is as tight as ever, bringing back the prominent horn section that was so sorely underused on their last 2 albums "We Won't Stop" and "All About The Funk". Lush string sections and more organic keyboard sounds return (piano, rhodes, etc) and the result is a much more lush landscape for N'dea to dance on.

N'dea even makes my disappointments less tragic. 3 of the songs on this album are completely rehashed down to the note (meaing they didn't re-record the tracks, but laid new vocals over them) from the Japan-only release 'We Won't Stop' which I got on import (and was ultimately disappointed with) The songs were initally sung by starlet Sy Smith, who has songwriting credits on one track, and who's backing vocals even remain on the songs. At first I thought this was kind of lame, but then I listened. N'dea completely sells these songs, and makes them her own, and ultimately approves upon them, so I was forced to eat my own crow. ;o)

If you think the Heavies have lost it, think again...and songs like "Right On", "We've Got", "Get Used To It" (a modern day 'Brother Sister'), "Sex God", "All Fired Up" confirm what all of ya'll have forgotten about...

The Heavies are indeed heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars N'Dea and the gang nailed it!, July 5, 2006
This review is from: Get Used to It (Audio CD)
This is the Heavies' best CD to date, as far as I'm concerned. I've worshipped Brother Sister for years, but in my opinion, this one tops it. I liked their last CD (And I really like Nichole Russo's voice), but there were only a few good songs on it. The songwriting wasn't so great.

This time around, however, the songwriting is stellar. There are no bad songs. The production, arranging, and instrumentation is flawless. And N'Dea's vocals are beautifully done (as usual)--it's nice to have her back with the group.

For those of you who liked their earlier stuff (like me), you'll be happy that this CD is somewhat a return to their roots--stripped down instrumentation without the techno-hip-hop-crap that had found its way into their last few releases. Here, The Brand New Heavies are doing what they do best--good old UK acid jazz/funk/soul; yet it sounds nice and fresh. Great CD. As for the songs, they are all great. But, the last four on the CD are even better. If you've been a fan of BNH, you shouldn't even consider missing this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, July 22, 2006
This review is from: Get Used to It (Audio CD)
As soon as I heard that N'Dea was back with the BNH, and this CD was released, I knew I had to have it! I was not disappointed, this is an outstanding CD, everything is strong. It is the best CD I have bought this year, and I have bought a lot of CDs. I don't understand why the BNH aren't on the radio, this music is far better than what you hear. Only one warning, there is only one way to listen to this disk, and it is turned up LOUD! Your hearing may suffer, but your mind won't; as it is an excellent CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars The FUNK has been put back in music!!, July 20, 2006
This review is from: Get Used to It (Audio CD)
This cd takes my breath and words away! All I want to say is "GET THIS CD!". Sure, I'd like to go through every track and give you detailed notes, but there really is no need, as every track is good - no lie! No worries about buying a cd that you'll only enjoy 3 songs, this cd delivers and you'll be playing it over and over again. It's like BNH just picked up where "Brother Sister" left off. It's amazing how so many years later they are able to stick to a creative formula, but still deliver current and timely music. Yes, I'm a fan of BNH and fell in love with them when N'Dea was lead vocals, but still continued to buy their music - yeah it was ok, but there is a certain energy and chemistry that works when N'Dea collaborates. This cd showcases that BNH chemistry perfectly. It's just such a gift to have the oiginal members all back together.

For those of you who are not familiar with this group, know that before Roots, Badu, Musiq, Jill Scott, India Arie, D'Angelo and Angie Stone etc. there were the Brand New Heavies (and Jamiroquai). This band has definitely put the FUNK back in music.

BTW, I was just able to see them live and the energy that is on cd definitely translates on stage. The same energy that was there when I last saw them 12 years ago is back. They haen't aged at all and the live show definitely compares with some of the youner bands playing venues today.

Check out there myspace page...

Get Used to It
Get Used to It by Brand New Heavies (Audio CD - 2006)