4.0 out of 5 stars Great advice for recent graduates or current students
I read about this book in a NYT "career advice" article. Given the fact that I was in my last semester of college, I ordered the book thinking it would help me in my upcoming job search.

Published on March 12, 2008 by Rusty Rothwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Given all the great reviews this book has received I expected it to be more useful.
Published on August 27, 2010 by Berkeley2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Great advice for recent graduates or current students, March 12, 2008
This review is from: Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World (Paperback)

I landed a good job in a major city just a few days after ordering this book. For that reason, given the intensity of my last semester and a move across the country, it took me a few months to pick the book up. Had I read the book before I took the job, it would have given me advice and suggestions on negotiating my starting salary, observing the office culture, and networking.

Still, despite having landed the job I wanted, this book has been helpful. It has opened my eyes to the importance of the persona you put on at work, the way you interact with co-workers, and the importance of networking within your respective industry. If I ever consider switching jobs, I have no doubt this book will help with the transition.

But, this book is not just for the recent graduate! It provides valuable advice for any college student, regardless of your class or academic standing. Given the fact that Ms. Pollak is young and down to earth, it offers real world suggestions that affect the younger generations; this includes cleaning up your "online record" of social networking profiles, book reviews, etc. It also provides excellent samples of resumes, cover letters, and lines to use when attending job fairs or industry trade shows. The chapter on potential interview questions is top notch!

I highly recommend this book. Since it is broken down into suggestions instead of chapters, it is an easy (but informative) read!

Rusty Rothwell
Houston, TX

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Job Seekers, May 16, 2007
This book can be summed up in one word - advantage.

I have read several books and have attended many classes and seminars on career planning to know that this book is it! I have to admit that even with all of my knowledge on resume writing and interviewing, I was still taking notes, this book is that great. Getting from College to Career of the most complete guides to job-hunting that manages (very well I must say) to keep the reader engaged, enlightened and well informed, all at the same time. Lindsey's advice is practical and easy to implement for both college students and recent college graduates.

Getting from College to Career is an essential reading for anyone who wants to have an advantage in their career. I wish I had this book before I graduated so that I could have taken advantage of all the advice that Lindsey so perfectly dishes out to readers in 90 steps. It is the advice that you wouldn't normally hear from college Career Service Centers, but it's what you need to know if you want a leg up on the competition. My hope is that colleges jump on the bandwagon and start giving this book out during freshmen orientation.

Definitely pick this book up if you or for someone you know who is going through the job search process, they will thank you for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be required for students, August 13, 2007
Andy Drish (Des Moines, IA) - See all my reviews
I will graduate in 5 months and I learned more by reading this book than I have in the majority of my classes. Here's why:

Content - The material is applicable to everyday life and has kept me from making stupid mistakes that make me look like a "college kid" vs a "young professional."

Voice - It's relieving to finally read a book by an author that understands our generation and knows how we like to learn.

Action - After every step, there is an action item to put into practice. A great way to read the book is over one month, doing three action items each day.

Every student should read this book before they graduate.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, August 27, 2010
First, it is much more a guide to finding a job than it is to finding a career. I was hoping it would talk about the transition from college to a first full time, and hopefully career starting, job but it is completely full of the normal tips that are everywhere (how to make your resume better, etc.).
Second, it is written in a somewhat condescending way. At the same time, it is written in a really informal way and it comes across like she's trying to connect with youth- but it seems forced and is distracting when trying to read a section.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for hapless college students or graduates, March 3, 2010
Throughout my time in college, I admit to espousing a fairly naïve and arrogant attitude about how one moves from education into the workplace, being fairly blind to my own sense of entitlement. I repeatedly spurned the advice that my friends and family tried to offer me, and as a result I made little progress when I finally graduated and expected my life to fall into place without my own involvement. Finally, after little success, I came to my senses and decided to seek help from an expert in order to gain some perspective. Lindsay Pollak's Getting From College to Career had been recommended by various sources and seemed like a worthwhile read, and I am incredibly glad that I bought it.

My initial fear was that the book would just be a recapitulation of the normal tips for improving one's résumé and cover letter and ensuring a solid interview. Pollak does address these topics (what kind of career-counselor would she be if she didn't?), but what I really found valuable was the bevy of other minutiae of job-hunting that might not even occur to most people. Pollak, a reasonably young professional, is tuned into the technological advances that have somewhat altered the employment landscape, such as online job posts that have overshadowed the more antiquated newspaper classified ads. However, her age also allows her to use her wisdom to help the young, tech-savvy, and clueless students of today. For example, her point that one should customize his or her online appearance in order to avoid disclosing embarrassing character flaws or incriminating photos.

For those of us who have a hard time transitioning from reading a book to executing the recommendations provided therein, Pollack includes convenient checkboxes to mark once each task is accomplished. Some of these may take time, like setting up an interview, but others are quite simple, such as changing one's outgoing voicemail message to sound more professional. Overall, I found that this layout gives the reader a feeling of progress while making his or her way through the different points.

Ultimately, I found Pollak's book to be a total wake-up call in terms of my career. Learning that 70 - 80% of jobs are found through networking provided a motivating force to get me out into the world and work for what I wanted, rather than sitting passively at my computer and waiting for listings that somehow applied to me. Obviously, a 300-page paperback cannot address all the possible pieces of advice that one would need to land a dream job, but it comes pretty close, and Pollak lists references other materials to look up for more specialized areas. I would highly recommend this book to all college seniors, especially those from liberal-arts schools that are tragically remiss in offering substantive career guidance. It will prevent them from spending some depressingly long years living in their parents' basement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good list to follow, March 27, 2008
D-LUX (TRENTON, NJ) - See all my reviews
This book is written in a list format. The author has grouped her tips together by category. These groupings can be focused upon if you are looking for advice on a particular part of the job hunt. For instance, the first grouping is focused on determining the type of job you are looking for and also to help you find information on that particular job. The following sections are about professional presentation, applications, identifying opportunities, interviewing, etc.

The nice thing is this book can be useful for many people in varying positions within there job hunt. It can be read by an individual still in college or someone that may have graduated a couple of years ago (as was the case with myself). For the current student it can give an outline for all the correct ways to secure a job even before you graduate. For the recent (or not so recent graduate) it provides what I feel like most people are looking for; A straight forward road map to getting a job.

If you ever sit around wondering how everyone else around you are getting these great jobs, or you don't even have a clue where to begin finding a job, try this book. Start with tip one and keep going until you have a job. Chances are you will have a job before you have implemented all the tips (there are 90 tips I believe in the book).

There are a ton of job hunt books on the market, but very few (if any) focus on the new or recent graduate. Most of the standard books have tips that are more useful for someone who has some work history already. This book is rare in that it prepares you for the recent graduate job hunt. Highly recommended for anyone nearing the end of college.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make a successful transition into the job of your dreams!, November 30, 2008
The transition from school to career is a frustrating process for so many people. Figuring out how to get not just a job but the job you want can be a great struggle. School and the working world are very different places.

Lindsay Pollack cleverly used her own trial and error as a college graduate seeking fulfilling employment, to create a book of helpful tips for others in the same predicament. She gives a genuine account of this very real situation.

Her account consists of 90 brief pieces of advice on subjects ranging from overcoming personal job search fears to practical ways to gain experience and skills.

`Getting from College to Career' can easily be read from cover to cover and can also be skimmed through for advice on particular problems. It is a must read for recent college graduates and is also useful for anyone else searching for employment.

Danny Iny
Author of the free eBook "Forget Everything You Know About Looking For a Job... And Actually Find One!"
HuntingToHired, [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Advice that transcends generations, January 3, 2010
While the book targets college students and recent grads, the advice transcends generations! Lindsey acknowledges her "obsession with taking action, trying new things, meeting new people and having a wide variety of experiences" to enhance a job hunt. She notes (and I agree) that you can't plan your career by sitting around and "thinking really hard."

Her first tip - "Start Wherever You Are" - is a perfect opening for the job seeker who thinks he or she needs more - more information, more advice, more research, before REALLY starting a successful search. My first boss on Wall Street always said, "The perfect is the enemy of the good." In other words, if you wait for all of the stars to align before starting something, you'll never get off the ground. If you want to drive your own career bus, you first need to put the key in the ignition and turn it - no matter where you are parked!

Lindsey reminds her readers that "Action always yields rewards" and emphasizes the importance of taking action on behalf of your career every day. Make a call, write a note, send a follow-up email, attend a networking event...You can't underestimate the value of every action you take to move your search forward.

How does Lindsey suggest you get organized for a job search?

Buy a notebook (with a cool cover) to record ideas and information.
Develop a filing system to keep all of the key paperwork that will pass through your hands.
Keep a calendar with ALL of your appointments to avoid double-booking.
Start a log or spreadsheet for all of your interactions with employers and networking contacts.
Create a database system to track everyone you meet along the way!
One of my favorite tips? #27 Relax. A Job Is Not a Soul Mate. The fact is, with workers expected to have 9 careers in a lifetime and an average of 3 jobs in each one (with 50% of those careers not even discovered yet), don't think of a job as a marriage. If you make a mistake, you can take your transferable skills and move to another opportunity.

Getting from College to Career is a terrific resource, full of tips to guide job seekers along a successful path. I highly recommend it to anyone getting ready for a job hunt!

5.0 out of 5 stars Begin reading ASAP no matter where you are in your school or Career, April 18, 2008
I first saw Lindsey at a student leadership conference where she did an excellent presentation on networking. I bought the book afterwards and it's the best 14$ I've spent in a while. I have already received my money back in experience.
As president of a student organization at my university, I actually do attend meetings with my administration and write formal emails everyday while at the same time looking into my future career plans- and this book helps with every aspect of my professional life right now.
The book is small and a quick read, very quirky and so easy to comprehend. I keep it in my meeting bag with my notebook, business cards, and laptop so if I'm in the waiting room waiting to talk to the Provost of my university- I can pull it out and brush up on some of my interviewing skills. I have noticed an increase of my professionalism because of the book and I find that the administration on my campus are surprised when they learn of my age, 20 because of the upmost professionalism I display, and most everything I perfected with this great book.
As for the transition from college to career, after reading I finally got the courage and confidence to inquire about my dream job and the director is calling me this week for an online information interview- something I would have never done without this book. This book could literally open some doors for me I never would have imagined because of simple mistakes I was making or avenues I wouldn't have pursued.
It should be required material for incoming freshmen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, Succinct and Practical, December 3, 2007
Having been in the employment industry for 18 years and after reading more "career guides" than I care to count, Getting from College to Career is one of the best I have ever read. Lindsey Pollak has a very conversational and inspiring writing style. Her tips are smart, succinct and practical. Getting from College to Career should be required reading for all college students as well as recent graduates looking to solidify their career.

Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World