Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Getting to the Heart of Interfaith: The Eye-Opening, Hope-Filled Friendship of a Pastor, a Rabbi & an Imam
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

91%

on June 29, 2009
The friendship of the Three Amigos (since Sept. 11, 2001), has broken fresh ground in the world of interfaith dialogue. Recounting how they each opened the door to welcome the other, voicing the challenging tenets of each faith, and expressing hope through their personal story and vulnerability, Don, Ted and Jamal widen the path into a world not only of tolerance, but of understanding past and present violence, deepening mutual respect, and new ways to encounter the Other. A shared voice narrates this slim volume which includes personal reflections on four different topics. We hear each voice, and we hear the whole. Because of their friendship, this book is not didactic, but real. Not merely instructive, but affecting. This view will give you fresh hope for a new beginning to venture onto the shared path.
on August 14, 2009
I would recommend this book to anyone seeking to broaden their understanding of how the Abrahamic faiths can operate in a real-world, open-hearted, spiritual context. Although the work is integrative in many respects, the content and approach serve to enrich the reader's understanding of each tradition in its own right. The content ranges from engaging personal stories, to exploration of specific content from religious teachings, to guides on how to initiate and support dialogue among people of different religious and spiritual backgrounds. The authors explore what they find beautiful as well as what they find uncomfortable in their traditions, and do so in a manner that invites inquiry and evokes hope.
on July 19, 2009
Do not be deceived by the light-hearted, easy-going appearance of this slim paperback book. Inside its covers you will find a surprising depth of experience that will evoke a full range of emotional responses. A Christian pastor, a Jewish Rabbi and a Muslim Sheikh share their courageous journey that began on 9/11 and continues to deepen and broaden every day. They take us beyond the safe zones of interfaith dialogue, down the slippery slope of confronting the "truths and untruths" in each of their respective traditions. This is not a journey for the faint of heart. Nor is this a theoretical account of what "could be" or "should be," but it is rather an honest, practical guide to what can be, and even what must be if we are to achieve peace and reconciliation in our time. As Jamal says, "Only that which comes from the heart can open the heart." Read this book, take it to heart, and share it with others, and you will experience the truth in these words.
on August 20, 2009
In this short but inspiring volume, the authors suggest meaningful dialogue is possible only when we let go of the fears that prevent us from listening to one another. We don't need to be threatened by beliefs or practices that differ from our own. We can remain secure in our own traditions, while opening ourselves to new perspectives. As we learn to listen more deeply, we discover and are enriched by the unique insights of each faith tradition. The "three amigos" recount their religious journeys, personal practices, and share what each of them loves, questions, and wants us to know about his own religion. These revealing and moving stories capture the essence of spirituality - the wellspring of life from which humanity emerges, the face of God reflected in each of us. - Sara Davies, co-author, Great is Peace: A Modern Commentary on Talmud Bavli Tractate Derek Eretz Zuta
on July 13, 2009
This book is written for every human being with a heart. You will feel your heart open to love and kindness in just the first few pages. I am buying it for several of my friends as a gift of hope for the future, knowing that this book promotes a healing, understanding and love. As Rabbi Ted says, "From Strength to Strength, PEACE to PEACE and from love to love. We can all use a little help.
on November 20, 2013
This book is lovely and fills me with hope and joy. I've read a lot of interfaith stuff, and this is different. It goes beyond understanding and tolerance to love and unity. These three men follow carefully defined steps to share their faiths with each other and discover spiritual parallels in each of their lives in faith. Everyone in our interfaith book group shared this appreciation, regardless of religious orientation. I've have been leading a workshop in my church using the steps laid out here to explore our faith and Judaism together--and following the steps seem to be bringing us to new and meaningful expressions and even understanding of what we believe and why, and of each other. I highly recommend this book for individuals and groups, as a workbook for coming to a greater understanding and appreciation of Interfaith unity.
on February 21, 2016
A worthwhile - and brief - introduction to three friends and interfaith concerns in the Judeo-Christian-Muslim world. Shorter than the classic, The Faith Club, about three women's journey together in New York, this one hails from Seattle and tells the story of three men. I considered it as a possible textbook for a course in interfaith relations. MacKenzie's book, though, begins where I hoped such a course would end - with basic appreciation and acceptance of one another. The story related by Ranya Idilby, Suzanne Oliver and Priscilla Warner leaves out none of the struggles each woman experienced with the others and with her own faith, and so is a more helpful story for those of us who are just beginning the journey into interfaith. So - Getting to the Heart of Interfaith is a good read, and may inspire you to want to go deeper.
on November 16, 2015
I love this book and have read it several times. It's an honest and insightful exploration of three clergy who separately and together explore their different faiths deeply. Chapters like What I love about my religion, What makes me uncomfortable about my religion, How my religion sees Israel and Palestine. A key element is the danger of exclusivity in each of the religions - the fear that no other belief than mine can be as good in the eyes of God, Allah, Buddha ... These guys have caused me to expand my own spiritual beliefs.
on August 18, 2009
It is wonderful to read about three men from different faiths come to the conclusion that "interfaith" understanding is so important to this country and the world. The honesty, vulnerability and love that each author exhibits in his writing makes this book a remarkable read.
on September 11, 2013
What a fabulous book showing the similarities & differences between Christianity, Judaism, & Islam & in practical terms an average reader can understand. I would recommend this to any one seeking to see where we each fit in. Thank you to all three of you for this joint venture.