From the Back Cover
Breaking into the wildly creative and fiery 3D/Effects industry is a tough proposition. With so many talented people competing for each alluring job, it’s imperative that candidates grasp what employers look for and make every attempt to stand out. Maya Press, a joint publishing effort between Sybex and industry leader Alias, brings you this definitive and practical guide to help you land that first job or advance your current job in the computer graphics industry.
Getting a Job in CG: Real Advice from Reel People is rich with candid strategies and priceless insights straight from industry and academic leaders, job recruiters, and employers. Through interviews, case studies, and sample demo reels on the CD, this book teaches you how to:
- Discover the myriad job possibilities from the obvious to the obscure
- Identify precisely what tools, skills, and knowledge employers seek
- Determine your best training options: college, art school, or do-it-yourself
- Recognize what staffing agencies and in-house recruiters are looking for
- Build an extraordinary resume that gets noticed
- Find out where to go to meet the right people and tap into networking opportunities
- Acquire the know-how to ace the job interview
- Produce an exceptional and applicable demo reel that will help you land the job
- Emulate the career paths of successful artists
About the Author
Dariush Derakhshani is an award-winning animator currently working on national TV commercials and music videos and teaching animation and Maya classes in Los Angeles. Author of Introducing Maya 5: 3D for Beginners and contributing author to Maya 5 Savvy, Dariush received a Masters degree in Animation from USC Film School.