5.0 out of 5 stars The best resource I've come across
If you are looking for a broad overview of your options for living, working, retiring, or just getting residency abroad, this book is for you.

Published 22 months ago by Gigi Griffis

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable book
The book lacks detail, but the basics are good for getting started on the research regarding living out of country. Getting Out is a good beginning, though. It offers all the basics on most of the countries one might choose to move to.
Published 1 month ago by Red Queen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best resource I've come across, September 7, 2012
Gigi Griffis "Gigi Griffis" (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America (Updated and Expanded Edition) (Process Self-reliance Series) (Paperback)

I took out as many books as I could find on this and similar topics and this is the best one I found. The information is interestingly laid out, the book is easy to navigate, and I really liked the stories of expats included throughout the book.

Don't expect this book to give you every detail about immigration to an individual country, but do expect it to tell you what kind of visas are offered and where to get started.

Loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, December 29, 2013
I was really shocked with how comprehensive this book is. Tons of great information, some of the most valuable coming from those who have moved and their true experiences. There are also tons of great references, links to web sites, organizations. I learned a lot and this will be a great reference tool for a long time, I am so glad I purchased it! It gave me hope and insight that while the United States is a wonderful country, there are also many other interesting places to live. Excellent work to the author!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quire revealing, November 18, 2012
Shawn M. (Colorado Springs) - See all my reviews
I haven't finished reading this so I have to say that I may have to add to this reveiw but this should be a start.

this book explores all the traditional areas of expatriates, but there are a couple of added extras! First, it begins with expats from different areas actually commenting on their experiences. It is not limited to the authors experiences alone.

This book also divides up by areas and includes a section of Europe. Most books no2wadays cover only those folks living in China, South or Central America, or New Zealand. And France is one of the most economical of places to live if you move to the south!

Get it, read it, enjoy it and then make your decision!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing reason to research leaving!, December 11, 2013
This is a great reference book if you are looking to get out. It seems to hit on the most popular concerns for people (currency, language, freedoms, crime, etc) and even tells about socioeconomic concerns (abortion, gun laws, homosexual behaviors, etc). I do wish there was more info on other nations, but the top 60 countries that are covered seem to be good choices. It does NOT tell you how to get out or things to pack or the process of leaving, etc. It DOES, however, help you decide where to go and why. I enjoy the little stories given by people who live in the countries listed.
Overall, a refreshing book that gives one reason to research leaving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far more information than I expected!, August 8, 2013
I bought this book expecting a sparse series of pages with a heavy Liberal bias, full of rants about the Bush family, the Republican Party, and the superiority of Socialism.

That's not what I got. Not at all.

This is a wonderfully comprehensive guide to moving abroad, temporarily, for a job (and how to find one, abroad), or permanently, perhaps for retirement. It covers a wide range of countries, focusing on 61 very varied countries, worldwide.

If you have a specific reason for moving, or might run into political issues you didn't even think to look into, this book is vital reading. At the front of the book -- before the country-by-country descriptions -- you'll find everything from drug laws to gay rights to religion, and from healthcare to crime to taxes... each with lists of the best (and worst) countries, based on your preferences. (And, those best-and-worst lists come from outside sources, with clear references. Many of them are US government resources. So, this book isn't as biased as I'd expected, reading others' reviews of it.)

With how-to advice, web resources, and lots & lots of stories by people living in those countries right now... this book contains over 450 pages of essential reading for anyone who plans to spend time abroad.

It's more of an encyclopedia than anything you'll read, one page at a time, starting at the first page and concluding at the last. I read the sections that most interested me, and learned a lot I hadn't expected to. I'm still pretty sure we know which country we want to retire in. However, I'm reading other parts of this book, in case we're missing some vital information or a better choice for our interests and our retirement budget.

Some countries aren't as well represented as others. For example, the first-person ex-pat stories about the U.K. are mostly about living in London. That's a tiny part of England, and not typical of U.K. life. You'll miss a lot of what's great about England (and Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland) if you rely on ex-pats' descriptions of life in London.

Likewise, the only first-person story in the section about Canada is describing moving to Toronto, with a reference to Vancouver, as well as some general Canadian advice.

By contrast, the 62nd option -- nomadic living -- includes rich and fascinating first-person stories. I could almost consider that lifestyle, based on those stories.

Of course, this book is already over 400 pages long. Though I'd like more stories and personal advice, I'm not sure that's practical. And, to be fair, the stories that are included are thoughtfully written from a variety of viewpoints. They may not tell the entire story about the respective country, but for an American planning to move, they're excellent insights.

I'd like to see more books in this series, with a wider range of first-person, ex-pat stories and advice, country by country.

Meanwhile, if you're moving abroad for school, work, retirement, or for other reasons, this book is absolutely essential reading. It's not at all what I'd expected. It's vastly better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, February 6, 2014
I have only had a chance to scan through the book so far. I find the content to exceptionally thorough, well thought out and researched. The book covers important general topics and provides specific information on many of the leading countries often heard of as retirement/expat destinations. If your goal is to retire or move overseas, this book appears to be a necessary read. Quality of the book itself is excellent and strikes me as book that will stand up to a lot of use and wear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating first book, December 28, 2013
Amazon Customer (Minneapolis, MN. USA) - See all my reviews
If you are thinking of 'getting out' I can recommend no better book as a 'first step' for learning about why, and how.

4.0 out of 5 stars Info for those looking to retire overseas, June 1, 2013
very well organized....broken down by country as to what is good for expats...how much is needed to live etc....and in the back of the book a section of websites to help the move....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference!, December 29, 2012
This is a great reference for basic and quick immigration facts to a multitude of countries. Highly recommended for those who know they want to "get out" but haven't yet decided on any particular region/country. The stories contained from those who have already made the move are quite helpful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable book, June 4, 2014