5.0 out of 5 stars Gezeiten rocks, November 15, 2005
This review is from: Gezeiten (Audio CD)
I am a relatively new fan of L'Ame Immortelle. The first time I heard their music was "The Truth Behind" on Cleopatra Records' "This is Neo-Goth" compilation from last year. I was hooked by Sonja Kraushofer's angelic vocals and pulsating synthesized beats provided by Thomas Rainer. It immediately led me to buy the band's remix album "Zweilicht". As good as it was, I always wanted to buy one of the band's studio albums but alas their music isn't available in the US for very cheap. I recently got around to buying one of their studio albums "Gezeiten" after hearing some samples off their myspace page. Although albeit short, the music definitely lives up to my expectations. The music is bouncy and addictively infectious especially "Kingdom" and "5 Jahre", two of my personal favorite tracks. "Kingdom" in particular stands out on the cd for me with its throbbing bass lines and Sonja's beautiful vocals. It would be difficult to not want to dance to this song. "5 Jahre" is another great dance track, more aggressive in terms of beats than "Kingdom" but equally as melodic. "Fallen Angel" is a gorgeous piano ballad which is one of the reasons I bought this cd. I found myself captivated by the lovely melodies. While this cd wasn't expensive than a lot of import cds, it wasn't cheap. I definitely found "Gezeiten" worth my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkwave Female & Male Vox w/ Heavy Stringed Instruments, November 25, 2008
M. Mierzwa (Davis, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gezeiten (Audio CD)
About the Band:
L'ame Immortelle, which translates into the immortal soul, is an Austrian darkwave / electrogoth band that was founded in the late 1990s. The band became popular in alternative dance clubs around 1999 and 2000, in large part due this album, for its mix of Sonja Kraushofer's soothing vocals mixed with Thomas Rainer's keys and often distorted vocals. Many of their songs exploited the extreme differences between their two styles of vocals, exploring both ambient and harsh themes by bouncing between the two vocalists. Though the L'ame Immortelle line-up has featured the talents of several other musicians, Sonja and Thomas are the core of the band.

About the Album:
Released in 2004, I waited to pick this import up once its price dropped. Having listened to it, I think that may have been a mistake, as it is worth every penny I paid and more. I instantly liked this album, and in particular believe fans of Blutengel and In Strict Confidence will love Gezeiten.

Gezeiten, which in German means "tides", is an interesting name for an album which flows between German and English lyrics. Though a number of the more popular tracks, such as "Fallen Angel" were also released as singles, I personally really enjoyed tracks only available on this album.

The first track is a bit of a departure from L'ame Immortelle, in that it is a much harsher electro-influenced industrial ballad. Fans of L'ame Immortelle's older albums, including Wenn der Letzte Schatten Fällt, will like the second track "5 Jahre". This fast paced track also was released as a single. Thomas adds his English, non-distorted vocals to Sonja's in "Fear". The title track "Gezeiten" is one of my favorites, as it breaks into an instrumental part featuring a viola and cellos, backed by Thomas's keys. In Strict Confidence fans will likely really enjoy "Rain" (my favorite track). "Masquerade" reminds me a bit of older EBM in the style the Belgian band A Split Second. Guitar heavy, growling vocals, something about this particular track is a nice departure from some of the other more introspective (though good) tracks.

Both lyrics for every song is included, but only in the language in which the song is sung. It is pretty easy to guess which songs are sung in English ... they feature English names.

Recommended Tracks:

- Tristesse de la luna
- Claire Voyant
- A Split Second

Gezeiten
Gezeiten by L'Âme Immortelle (Audio CD - 2004)