4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting...
Published on December 9, 2000 by Rob Damm

3.0 out of 5 stars I disagree
Published on September 27, 2000 by Jonathan J. Casey

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting..., December 9, 2000
This review is from: Ghost of David (Audio CD)
"Rehersals for Departure" was merely a great album... "Ghost" is Jurado's masterpiece... it is sparer, stripped down to the bare bones. The songs are elliptical. They sound like they are 1000 years old. "Ghost in the snow" is spellbinding. "Tonight, I will retire" is the best thing he's ever written. The sound quality is remarkable. It seems the singer is in the room with you. Great, spooky late-night listening. For all fans of quiet music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and beautiful, October 23, 2000
This review is from: Ghost of David (Audio CD)
Even a glance at the titles suggests that this cd will not be coming out for office party sing-alongs, unless you run a 12-step support group. What we have instead are plaintive songs imbued with a fragile beauty. While Britain offers a singer songwriter influenced by Springsteen, the glorified busking of Badly Drawn Boy, Damien Jurado takes the sparseness of "Nebraska" as a template.
Opening with the desperation of mental illness and broken relationships - "Medication", means that there is only one way to go, as nothing can quite match its quiet power. The following song "Desert" certainly lacks a lot in comparison. His version of the traditional song "Rosewood Casket" and the sub-Sonic Youth "Paxil" are the only other weak points. Otherwise this is a simple but strong collection which eschews big productions in favour of a more direct mood.
If you enjoy the introductions to Mogwai songs and the feel of Galaxie 500 you should give Damien Jurado a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Many concerns, July 13, 2001
David Snyder (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost of David (Audio CD)
I first purchased and played this record when I was stricken with pneumonia and almost homeless, and it was just about perfect timing. Jurado here fulfills the promise of his earlier records, stripping away the (very well-done) jangle-folk-pop learnings and playing to his greatest strength: rustic, intimate, timeless confessional folk music. The characters on the brink of emotional collapse in the first part of the record fittingly give way to the hazy experimental confusion of the second. This is folk music as it was meant to be, harrowing, engaging and true.

5.0 out of 5 stars damien quietly blows all other music out of the water..., January 20, 2003
Burnbrightlystar (West Chester, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost of David (Audio CD)
I picked up my first Damien Jurado album in college after a certain boy put him on a mix tape for me...and you know what mix tapes can do to your heart....Anyway, Damien has a presence which will resonate in your mind long after you are done listening to him. He is eloquent, and soft, and sings from his gut...what more can you ask for? Every album he has ever made is worth buying, but Ghost of David is a great one to start with...and please take this on car trips with you,...I think that you will find yourself listening to it again and again trying to get more from each song.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Real As it Gets, January 6, 2004
This review is from: Ghost of David (Audio CD)
Damien Jurado has been one of my favorite artists since seeing him play bass and scream in Coolidge. I would never have guessed that this guy would go on to make the most beatiful folk music around. I have probably seen him play 20-25 times from when I lived in Seattle and was around when Pedro the Lion, Damien Jurado, Roadside Monument and other groups like that were playing little shows all of the time. He has never disappointed in his live shows.
Jordan Walton helped produced this album in his room and it is one my favorite albums of all time for its sound as well as the songs. It truly does feel like you are a part of the songs with the ultra-personal production. Great job. Jordan has also worked on Denison Witmer's "Of Joy and Sorrow" which is a pretty good album as well.
"Ghost of David" would certainly be in my top 5 albums because of the way that I am touched when I hear it. I am always moved by the album and I hope I continue to be until I die. Check out "Medication", "Johny Go Riding", "Ghost of David" and "Rosewood Casket". Rosie Thomas does some great vocals on this as she does in all of her other work.
Buy this album if you enjoy meditative music. It is as beautiful as music can be. Their is a feeling of brokeness that I find very comforting. Check it out. Thank God for Mr. Jurado!

5.0 out of 5 stars Calm during the storm, September 5, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Ghost of David (Audio CD)
I bought this CD, after hearing it on our wonderful college radio station (KCOU). It was about the only bright spot during a pretty awful semester in graduate school. Like U2, Damien Jurado uses Christian imagery in a very subtle and non-intrusive way. This album is an example of a spiritual man making sense of the loneliness and despair found in our difficult, secular world. The beautiful songs speak of a deep mysticism, though, behind the troubled lyrics. A great album.

3.0 out of 5 stars I disagree, September 27, 2000
This review is from: Ghost of David (Audio CD)
This really isn't as good as "Rehearsals for Departure" or "Waters Ave S." The production is very bare bones compared to his last record, and the home recording just doesn't sound very good. When it comes to using a synthesizer "vibes" sound you should either use the real instrument or leave it out. Rose Thomas does a nice job singing on the lounge-dirge (can there be such a thing?) "Parking Lot." If I'm not mistaken she was in Velour 100 for a time. While I'm not opposed to home recording (my personal favorite would have to be Scotland's Spare Snare) this album has a scrapped together, unfinished feel to it that I don't like. I don't feel much loss or pain- or much of anything- listening to this. Pretty disappointing. It certainly isn't a god-awful record, but if you already have the two aforementioned albums I'd save your money and skip "Ghost of David." Even if there is a cute girl on the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Meaning of "Ghost of David", April 24, 2007
Tyler Burbee (Springfield, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost of David (Audio CD)
"Ghost of David" is a harrowing album, which has come to be what we expect from Jurado but for me the project took on a brand new significance when I found out the title, "Ghost of David", is actually a refference to Pedro the Lion's David Bazan. Apparently it is inspired by the fictional death of Bazan followed by Jurado "kickin' it" (to use Bazan's own words) with Bazan's wife, who is pictured on the cover. Very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is good music out there., September 26, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Ghost of David (Audio CD)
I heard this CD on our college radio station, and immediately went out to buy it. It brought tears to my eyes. How can meloncholia be so sweet?

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and gripping, August 14, 2002
This review is from: Ghost of David (Audio CD)
Wow. I picked up this album at a concert of Jurado's (where he was anything but quiet; it was Gathered in Song too, and he was at times louder than the amps) and have been hooked on his music ever since. I consider myself an emo fan but am generally not emotionally by music except by a few rare songs. And then came this album. It is moving, touching, painting the picture of every song's subject and driving its emotional payload straight into you. In short, it is unparalleled in emotion and musical power, an excellent buy for the fans of emo, folk, and quiet music.

Ghost of David
Ghost of David by Damien Jurado (Audio CD - 2000)