4.0 out of 5 stars it kept my attention

2.0 out of 5 stars THE GAMES AFOOT
Published on August 5, 2006 by Michael Butts

2.0 out of 5 stars THE GAMES AFOOT, August 5, 2006
This review is from: Ghost Game (DVD)
To GHOST GAME's credit, I didn't cut it off; it entertained me enough to make me stay with it. BUT..what a lame movie. A plot that makes little or if any sense; actors whose talents are minimal; and sloppy direction and editing. Three witches back in the mid-seventies were killed during some kind of ritual, but we're not really sure what, and even though by the end of the film, we "kinda" figure out who killed them, it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Then we have the typical group of college students (none who look under the age of 30) who for whatever reason decide to go spend a weekend at this camp where the witches died, and lo and behold, they find some kind of weird game which releases the witches and spells doom for the cast. There aren't a whole lot of scares and the pacing isn't quick enough to generate any suspense, but there are a lot worse movies out there, so fans of this type of occult thriller may find themselves mildly diverted.

2.0 out of 5 stars SHOT ON VIDEO JUNK, April 19, 2006
This review is from: Ghost Game (DVD)
Not absolutely horrible but not much above. Ghost Game at least gets a "C" for a concept that brings its overall rating to two stars rather than just one. A group of friends decides to take a camping trip to an old cabin in the middle of nowhere ala so many 1980's slasher films. Once there they find an old game and decide to play. Through the course of the game they release the spirits of three witches who died while performing some kind of ceremony or spell years earlier. Soon they begin killing the campers and the group realizes they have to keep playing the game to try and save themselves. It's not a bad concept but unfortunately there was nothing behind the production to make it rise above others in the Z budget field.

Films shot on video just plain suck and there is no way around it. It just looks plain amateurish no matter how good the actors may be. Not to say the actors were good...but they were not horrible. They were handcuffed by poor scripting. It's the usual horror movie stereotypical roles. The women in the film are reasonably attractive as cheap films go and several of them do have numerous TV credits in their background so it's not like they were just found on the street. I'll chalk this one up to the director as there was an OK concept but there was no sense of pacing or tension built up. Could have been better with a defter hand directing.

4.0 out of 5 stars it kept my attention, June 28, 2010
This review is from: Ghost Game (DVD)
Well, this is obviously an extremely low budget movie. But I have to say that the dialogue and the characters in the beginning kept my attention long enough for me to get into the plot of the movie (which is more than I can say for the three B-movies we shut off about 5 minutes into them before we got to this one). It's a 20 something's in the woods with a supernatural killer on the lose movie, so you know the story already. However every time my wife and I said "You know this is what is going to happen" and thought we had it figured out we were surprised with a little twist, not a plot twist but just that these guys didn't follow the exact same formula as every other movie of this genre. Up until the very end we kept saying "This is what is going to have to happen, it's what always happens" and then we would be wrong. I mean this was written acted and produced well enough that I watched it all the way until the end to see what was going to happen, which is more than I can say for a lot of multi-million dollar produced movies that I have shut off halfway through.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre supernatural slasher., August 19, 2008
This review is from: Ghost Game (DVD)
Ghost Game (Joe Knee, 2004)

Mediocre supernatural horror flick about a bunch of young-and-beautifuls stuck on an island with some malevolent spirits. No breaking of traditions here-- the plot is stock, the conventions of the horror film are all out in spades, we get the obligatory twist ending, etc. The movie does have one redeeming feature in that it does manage to be funny every now and again, but the humor can't carry the storyline by itself. This is, after all, supposed to be a horror film (and if it were supposed to be more comedy than horror, there's not enough of the comedy angle). Technically, it's decent, though I wonder how hard it is to shoot when most of the movie takes place in the dark. (Though from some of the horribly-lit movies I've seen recently, I think it may be more difficult than I assumed it was.) Acting is a cut below average, but at least everyone seems to have been having a good time with the ludicrous script. Maybe worth it when you've got a sixpack and a free evening in front of you, but not one to go out of your way for. **

3.0 out of 5 stars Do you like bad horror movies?, February 28, 2012
Felonia (Buffalo, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Game (Amazon Instant Video)
As someone who enjoys bad horror movies, this was pretty good. That's why it gets 3 stars.

There aren't many redeeming qualities to this movie, if you're actually looking for something truly frightening to watch.

The social interaction is either completely unrealistic, or these characters are horrible people. They're upset about death for maybe five seconds, then perfectly willing to run around in the woods pursuing the supernatural and joking about death with one another.

The dialog is awkward and unnatural.

The girls are gorgeous... I assume the guys are friends of the people who made it. They're not ugly, but they're quite average. I don't think anyone was selected particularly for their talent.

It would be awesome to be in a movie like this, though. It looks like fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 Skanks In Goth Glitter Makeup As Witch Ghosts Who Kill, March 21, 2011
This review is from: Ghost Game (Amazon Instant Video)
(see review title) Do NOT inspire terror. If anything, I kept waiting for one of the poor chicks running around in this movie to hold them down and do their make-up and hair. SO not scary, scattered and fragmented storyline. It is kinda like a ripoff of MOTEL HELL.Deranged/Motel Hell (Midnite Movies Double Feature) Problem?? Motel Hell was better if you can imagine that. It is available here as a double and even triple feature or for immediate watching on instant video. The ending of this movie is a direct rip off of Motel Hell. Oh Lord I want my hour back. Save your time, avoid this as even the babes cannot save this movie. The blonde was the only good actress in it and she DIES.

1.0 out of 5 stars GHOST GAME DVD REVIEW 1/5, July 2, 2006
John (Wildwood, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Game (DVD)
This movie actually had potential (in the beginning) for a mediocre straight-to-DVD horror film. However, too much bad acting was present throughout most of the movie and the screenplay was brainless. Only watch this movie if you have nothing else to do. Overall, it's not really bad, there are a number of films far more insufficient than this.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it, but..., July 16, 2007
This review is from: Ghost Game (DVD)
As a low budget indie film-maker myself, I have gained a greater appreciation for what it takes to put a movie together, all the difficulties and challenges, and the amount of time & effort required from all involved. Even movies that are not very good are somewhat of an accomplishment. That having been said, this movie sucked. What could have been a promising concept turned out to be a boring film that lacked energy and imagination.

The sad thing is, that it would have taken only a few changes to make this a better film (or at least more interesting). The writing was just so poor, and the casting of the male leads can only be explained by nepotism (which isn't always a bad thing; sometimes it's the best or only way circumstances will permit). I rented this film, thinking it would be a scary Jumanji-type premise, (and hoping to see some naked women, since they were all fairly attractive). I appreciate the effort and accomplishment it took to make this movie, but I cannot recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreary, terrible, January 9, 2007
Amazon Customer (Jamestown, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ghost Game (DVD)
I can't believe people gave this terrible movie 4 or 5 stars. It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The acting is terrible and the story isn't much better. The grainy, shot-on-video look gives it a "Blair Witch Project" feel...but even that couldn't redeem it. Oh, and forget the cover - you don't get any special effects like that in the movie.

As far as plot goes, it involves a group of kids who go to a cabin and open up a game, which essentially brings the ghosts of 3 witches back to kill them one by one if they don't understand and complete the game.

Don't bother with this one - you'll thank me for it later!

1.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtless pap, June 29, 2007
This review is from: Ghost Game (Amazon Instant Video)
Even a lover of horror films will find it hard to get jiggy with the horrible production values, the mysogyny, poor casting, chauvinism, and directorial idiocy of this movie. The witches, alone, are worth dropping this one in the garbage bin. Strictly for people who think "Elimidate" is a cool show.

Ghost Game