nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more

on April 28, 2012
Something you'll notice if you read any of these reviews is that a good portion of the 'bad' reviews compare this movie to the first Ghost Rider movie. Well, I have a problem with that. I have been a long time fan of the Ghost Rider going back to the Original 70's comics. The first movie which purports to give us the origin of the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider has next to nothing to do with the source material at all. The first movie turned Johnny Blaze into a goofball who eats Jelly Beans out of a martini glass and keeps the powers of the Ghost Rider against the will of the Devil. If you like that then you are no fan of the Ghost Rider.

Johnny Blaze was a hard drinking, tortured soul who was tricked by the 'devil' and turned into the Ghost Rider against his will. He spent the entire run of the original comic series doing everything he could to be freed from his curse. Johnny Blaze doesn't listen to the Carpenters. Johnny Blaze doesn't watch TV specials about monkeys. He's not got time for that crap.

This movie, while it does have it's own problems, plays closer to the 'real' Ghost Rider in every way. Blaze fights the demon for control constantly. He seeks an escape from the Spirit of Vengeance at every turn, but he uses the Ghost Rider to his advantage at times. THIS is the spirit of the original book brought to life. Not the campy crap-fest that the first movie was. While the writers did take some creative licence with characters, parts of the origin, and pretty much completely ignore the first film (thank god), they build a rider that is much more like the one we see in the pages of the Ghost Rider comics. This movie brings us a darker, more menacing Ghost Rider. When the Rider is on screen, he's unsettling. He revels in the destruction and death going on around him. He laughs maniacally as he uses massive mining machines infused with hell-fire to destroy his enemies, and toys with them like a cat would a wounded mouse...

The 'enemies' of the rider in the first film were epic emo-fairy failures. They are easily dispatched and offer no real challenge for the Rider. Well, the same can be said about this movie, but at least here they are outmatched by the rider because they are mere mortals facing off against a demon/angel of vengeance/justice. When the 'heavies' show up in the form of Blackout and finally the Devil, they aren't much of a challenge either, but then again they put up a better fight than the ones in the first film.

Blackout is not the Blackout from the comic, but here he is realized better than most comic book movie villains. He puts up a fight but there's never really much danger for the Ghost Rider from any of the bad guys.

Where this film falls apart is that the story is at times confusing, Cage often jumps into 'Crazy Cage' mode and ruins some scenes, and a lot of the dialog is just silly. Where it succeeds is the Crank-style mayhem that is unleashed whenever there is action going on, the visual effects of the Rider are ramped up and embrace the dark side of the Character. The Flaming Skull in this go around is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than in the first. In every way possible the Rider is BETTER rendered here in character and appearance.

See this if you are a fan of the Ghost Rider and not the first Movie that tried to make the Ghost Rider into a Spiderman style super-hero. THIS is the heart of the Ghost Rider. Dark, Gritty, Campy and FUN! Now if they would just ditch Cage and get a decent writer to give a third movie a go...
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2012
My thoughts on this video are that it's not as bad as some of the scathing critiques I've read on Amazon thus far. But there is some truth to the negative reviews. This is not a movie I would describe as "good." It's more along the "okay" range. I rented it when I was home and wanted only to watch a movie and surf the web. So I got Ghost Rider II and did just that. The acting is generally decent, although Cage is probably the worst in this film - as far as acting goes. But it's based off of a comic book (and a marginally popular character, at that), so my expectations aren't really high. This movie is a decent watch, so long as you keep your perspective. It's got fire, action, fighting, and a steady pace. Is the story line well thought-out? Nope. I agree with another reviewer who said this is Marvel's worst movie product so far; they could've done better. But still, it's not a waste of time either. I'm not someone who'll continue watching a bad movie. I just turn them off and would rather waste the rental money than continue to waste time after having already wasted the money. This movie, I watched until the end. I actually didn't rent this particular movie from Amazon, so I'm on the fence about whether it's worth 4 dollars. Maybe if you just had the urge to see it and it was last on your list of rentals - then it'd be worth $4. Otherwise, check out John Carter or Sherlock Holmes or Safe House. Then come back for Ghost Rider. It's not bad. But it's not good either. Just okay.
on June 13, 2012
Okay, I am going to try to not give away any parts of the story or the movie too much in case you actually buy this film.

Ghost Rider is the best comic character ever!!! With that being said, that is the only reason I gave this movie a rating of 3 stars. I am a huge Ghost Rider fan and this movie really disappointed me. Moreau was a good character, Carion was a good character, Nic Cage was good too (when they didn't have him "extreme" acting and jittering around)...even the mother was a good character in it. Unfortunately Sony screwed this movie up so bad by changing Danny's story line, they could've easily made this into the Spirit of Vengeance comic line w/ Blaze losing most of his power but still helping out the new rider, and Danny becoming the new Ghost Rider would've been a great lead into future movies...but instead they came out with this mixed up decayed script and filming that was an ultimate failure. Ghost Rider doesn't levitate, he doesn't drive a crappy looking bike, his biker gear/clothes don't look like burnt marshmellows would...the direction of this movie was horrible as it was made by the people that did Crank as a movie of Crank. While I love Crank it was not the way to do a comic movie, too jittery way too often in the movie...made it cheesy and lame. This movie should have had more ties to the first since that one had a much better story, and really didn't. Ultimately, if I wasn't a huge fan of Ghost Rider I would've never seen this in theater or bought the bluray (so I guess they win since I did still buy the bluray).
Another disappointment was Best Buy had an exclusive steel book case if you reserved your copy early. I reserved mine as soon as it was available and there was supposed to be combo disc sets as there are with most movies these days. When I went to buy the movie I was told that it was a last minute change by the company to make more money by only selling individual discs...WTH? My kids follow my lead and look up to me and they like most of the same things I do. I am a huge Ghost Rider fan, so they follow suit. How disappointed they were to see the bluray didn't come w/ a DVD copy for them to watch in their room. Another disappointment since there is no way I would ever pay double the cost for this movie. I will have to wait for it to join part 1 int he $5.00 DVD bin before they ever get a copy to watch on their DVD players...what a let down.
on April 24, 2012
Ghost Rider returns and is badder than ever. this sequel to the first movie was awesome. i love the ghost rider character. and ghost rider is more darker in this one. i loved that nicolas cage returned as ghost rider/johnny blaze. i wish that they brought back peter fonda as mephisto. but the new guy was pretty good. i thought that the actor who played carrigan/blackout as he is known in the comics. was good. i did love the twinkie joke that was funny. if you have not seen this movie then i recommend you do.
on June 18, 2012
i have to say i was expecting more. the only good points was the action with ghost rider.....and what the hell was with nick cages over acting?????? ghost rider is suppose to be a dark anti hero, not a guy that tell jokes, or acts quirky even after he's transformed. could have been better. also there was some point where he could have sped up the killing, like when the ghost rider 1st appears for a fight, he heald this thugs head for like a whole min till he killed him with his stare. the directors that did this movie also did the 'crank' series. idk if that was their direction with nick's character, but this movie could have been more dark and serious. and wheres the spikey leather jacket???!!!
on June 23, 2012
I am thinking I must have seen a different Ghost Rider: SOV movie; the one I just watched was actually really good. I wouldn't call it great by any stretch, but I certainly liked it a lot better than the first one. It was certainly better than most movies broadcast on Sci Fi. I do admit that Nicholas Cage is not my favorite, but he pulled it off in this one. Having said, there was one scene that displayed his overacting neurotic moniker. The special effects, camera work, angles, sound effects were all really well done. I especially like the way the GR was portrayed; more of a supernatural and dare I say "demonic" feel to it. Certainly worth 4 bucks rental. Heck, I'll even rent it again.
on July 26, 2012
The first movie was a piece of crap. This is supposed to be a reboot and its not a sequel since it has no ties to the other one. That being said, they should have found a different actor for Ghost Rider. Nicholas Cage is too old and goofy. The rider looks much better and he's violent and the villain was good up until he transforms into Blackout then he's just as goofy with the cheesy one liners, but has cool powers. I'm still debating if I should add this to my collection, same thing with Thor. I'll wait till both movies are under $4.
on June 17, 2012
As a big Ghost Rider fan dating back to the 1970's comic book, I must say that this movie was a big letdown. I was one of the few people that actually liked the first Ghost Rider film. While it was no work of art, I thought it captured the look and the feel of the character pretty well. This latest effort really has no soul, its all over the place. I like Nic Cage as an actor, but I really wished he had stepped aside and let someone else take the role. Ghost Rider is one of the most powerful and feared heroes in the Marvel universe but in this film he is depicted as a twitching skull-faced clown. The first film was a hell of a lot better. I am glad I didn't listen to my 8 year old son and buy this.
on August 28, 2012
A few months ago I contacted Amazon to give more info about this title, I'm from Mexico and I wasn't sure if this title had the 3D version and the 2D version...well amazon only told me that it was only the 3D, but I found out that this title comes with the 2 versions, (and it also comes with spanish subtitles).

This comment is for us the costumers to tell amazon that they should put all of the product details that comes in the back of the case in DVD's and Bluray's.
on July 5, 2012
I liked the first movie better than this. This second movie as if there is no plot at all. The action is good, the effects are good but I can't find any resolution why they made another movie that doesn't even have a good story line. In my opinion, this is like a prequel of the first movie, why? it's a total setback. I gave 3 stars because, for effects, for action and for the new partner in producing this movie. Anything besides that, it's all up to your guess.