5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost Rider Returns
Published on April 24, 2012 by David

Published on April 28, 2012 by Scott Kozlowski

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first in EVERY WAY if you are a fan of the Ghost Rider going in..., April 28, 2012
This review is from: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (+ UltraViolet Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Something you'll notice if you read any of these reviews is that a good portion of the 'bad' reviews compare this movie to the first Ghost Rider movie. Well, I have a problem with that. I have been a long time fan of the Ghost Rider going back to the Original 70's comics. The first movie which purports to give us the origin of the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider has next to nothing to do with the source material at all. The first movie turned Johnny Blaze into a goofball who eats Jelly Beans out of a martini glass and keeps the powers of the Ghost Rider against the will of the Devil. If you like that then you are no fan of the Ghost Rider.

Johnny Blaze was a hard drinking, tortured soul who was tricked by the 'devil' and turned into the Ghost Rider against his will. He spent the entire run of the original comic series doing everything he could to be freed from his curse. Johnny Blaze doesn't listen to the Carpenters. Johnny Blaze doesn't watch TV specials about monkeys. He's not got time for that crap.

This movie, while it does have it's own problems, plays closer to the 'real' Ghost Rider in every way. Blaze fights the demon for control constantly. He seeks an escape from the Spirit of Vengeance at every turn, but he uses the Ghost Rider to his advantage at times. THIS is the spirit of the original book brought to life. Not the campy crap-fest that the first movie was. While the writers did take some creative licence with characters, parts of the origin, and pretty much completely ignore the first film (thank god), they build a rider that is much more like the one we see in the pages of the Ghost Rider comics. This movie brings us a darker, more menacing Ghost Rider. When the Rider is on screen, he's unsettling. He revels in the destruction and death going on around him. He laughs maniacally as he uses massive mining machines infused with hell-fire to destroy his enemies, and toys with them like a cat would a wounded mouse...

The 'enemies' of the rider in the first film were epic emo-fairy failures. They are easily dispatched and offer no real challenge for the Rider. Well, the same can be said about this movie, but at least here they are outmatched by the rider because they are mere mortals facing off against a demon/angel of vengeance/justice. When the 'heavies' show up in the form of Blackout and finally the Devil, they aren't much of a challenge either, but then again they put up a better fight than the ones in the first film.

Blackout is not the Blackout from the comic, but here he is realized better than most comic book movie villains. He puts up a fight but there's never really much danger for the Ghost Rider from any of the bad guys.

Where this film falls apart is that the story is at times confusing, Cage often jumps into 'Crazy Cage' mode and ruins some scenes, and a lot of the dialog is just silly. Where it succeeds is the Crank-style mayhem that is unleashed whenever there is action going on, the visual effects of the Rider are ramped up and embrace the dark side of the Character. The Flaming Skull in this go around is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than in the first. In every way possible the Rider is BETTER rendered here in character and appearance.

See this if you are a fan of the Ghost Rider and not the first Movie that tried to make the Ghost Rider into a Spiderman style super-hero. THIS is the heart of the Ghost Rider. Dark, Gritty, Campy and FUN! Now if they would just ditch Cage and get a decent writer to give a third movie a go...

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost Rider Returns, April 24, 2012
Ghost Rider returns and is badder than ever. this sequel to the first movie was awesome. i love the ghost rider character. and ghost rider is more darker in this one. i loved that nicolas cage returned as ghost rider/johnny blaze. i wish that they brought back peter fonda as mephisto. but the new guy was pretty good. i thought that the actor who played carrigan/blackout as he is known in the comics. was good. i did love the twinkie joke that was funny. if you have not seen this movie then i recommend you do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Long time fan of the comic book, July 26, 2012
I was an avid fan of the early Ghost Rider comics when I was growing up in the 70s. I love the character. Still do.

I'm not a Nick Cage hater. Sure, he's had some dogs, but how can you hate a guy who gave us "Raising Arizona"? And he's had some other decent movies; I thought AirCon was fun, Face Off was good, and I liked the National Treasure movies.

Having said that, there is NO WAY I could recommend this movie to anyone!! I don't think I've EVER seen a worse movie. And it wasn't even one of those "so bad it's good" movies (a la "Alien Apocalypse"). This thing was just straight out B-A-D. I thought the first GR movie was fair; I liked the effects and, even with all the "I'm looking down my arm at you while I'm pointing dramatically" scenes, it wasn't Cage's worse performance. He saved that for the sequel.

Please, if you really MUST waste two hours of your life, do it watching something else. Anything else. Heck, even though I've never seen it, I'd bet the "Man-Thing" movie probably wasn't even this bad. (That's one of my all-time favorite Marvel characters and it's killing me not to watch the movie, but I've just heard so many bad things that I can't bring myself to see it. But if anyone ever threatens to make me watch "Ghost Rider 2" again, I'll probably ask for "Man-Thing" as a reprieve.) I'd almost be willing to watch the Steve Martin/Laura Dern fiasco "Novacaine" again before I'd watch this piece of garbage. (Ouch, it hurt just to say that. I still can't see how Martin and Dern ever agreed to make that piece of... <shudder>. Have to go find my happy place now.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fans of the character will love it. Everyone else...?, March 21, 2012
Travis Hopson "shoguntee" (Aldie, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
No other character in the Marvel Universe is more suited to the manic, bipolar antics of Nicolas Cage than the Ghost Rider, which is why the 2007 film turned out to be so disappointing. Directed by Mark Steven Johnson with all the flair of dry toast, all of Ghost Rider's most unique genre attributes were frittered away in a bland attempt to follow in the phenomenal success of Batman Begins. With Johnson mostly out of the picture, the rapidly produced sequel gets a much needed fuel injection with the twin duo of Neveldine/Taylor behind the camera, bringing with them the same chaotic energy that led them to success with both Crank movies.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is a more complicated beast, and for the most part Neveldine/Taylor are up to the challenge. More in tune with the character's dark, pulpy roots, the supernatural grindhouse feel will be a welcome reminder to fans of Cage's underrated Drive Angry. After a brilliant, Mignola-esque animated sequence zipping us through Johnny Blaze's deal with the devil that transformed him into the Ghost Rider, we learn he's been hiding out from civilization out in eastern Europe. His hopes of keeping the demon inside him locked away are quickly dashed with the arrival of Moreau(Idris Elba), a gun toting, hard drinking warrior monk who warns him of the Devil's(Ciaran Hinds) plan to attain a new host body. To do it, he'll enlist another damned soul named Carrigan(Johnny Whitworth) to kidnap the son of Nadya(Violante Placido), a woman he also struck an ill pact with. The Devil is a hell of salesman, apparently. He's always closing. The promise of eternal redemption is all Blaze needs to sign on for his most dangerous mission yet, playing the unfamiliar role of protector.

With a trimmed down budget, this version of Ghost Rider has a tougher, meaner look to it. The lack of polish makes the flame-headed biker all the more visceral and terrifying, especially when he's got some poor thug in the grip of his soul destroying "Penance Stare". The action scenes should be where the film really shines, but unfortunately the directors don't go far enough. While some of it is pretty awesome to behold, like when Ghost Rider jumps in a giant construction vehicle and lights it with hellfire, others are uninspiring. Undoubtedly they've got a better grip on what makes the character tic, but you expect Neveldine/Taylor to go absolutely ape dump on a movie like this, and sometimes it feels like they held back.

Essentially shot in exactly the same manner as Crank, it's when the Ghost Rider is on the open road that are the brightest spots. Sure it's a little dizzying with all the jump cuts, speed ramps and other crazy camera tricks the directors typically employ, but it works to give the film a distinctive look. Even during the rare times when the action slows down, there is rarely a dull moment. A self aware sense of humor, such as when Ghost Rider starts urinating hellfire, occasionally works but often feels a little forced.

Cage gives the sort of performance you'd expect for a movie this insane. He's constantly "on", flashing his teeth at every opportunity and always looking as if he's about to snap and jump off the cliff or something. While that may not work as often as he employs it, that's exactly the mode Cage needed to be in for this role. What's more entertaining is Idris Elba, who appears to be trying to match Cage for scene chewing honors. His chatty, wobbly Moreau is a total 180 from the strong and silent guardian he played in Thor.

While it's not a great movie, fans of Ghost Rider will leave the theater far happier than they did five years ago. There's still a better film to be made, and perhaps it'll happen in a few years with a slightly better script. Ghost Rider isn't ready to ride off into the sunset just yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars What I personally wanted, June 3, 2012
When I first saw the trailer for this movie I really wanted to see it, but after so many bad reviews came out I decided not to see it in theaters, although I had a feeling I personally wouldn't mind what people were complaining about. Now it has shown up on PSN almost 2 weeks early and I still had some money in my account so I bought it for $5 and decided if I didn't like it oh well, it didn't really cost me anything.

Now after seeing it I have to admit I personally loved it. It had exactly what I wanted, a lot of action and it was fast paced and to me the Ghost Rider was a lot creepier in this movie than in the first. I get why people complained about the acting, I personally only had a problem with Ciaran Hinds who played the devil. His character was very corny, but Nicolas Cage's acting reminded me a lot of how he performed in Face Off which again did not personally bother me. I also agree the kid he is protecting and his mother were not interesting characters but I was glad not only was she not a love interest but the Ghost Rider wanted to kill her, interesting take on the female character in this movie.

I hope as this comes out on video more people see it and enjoy it as much as I did. as I stated I do understand the critisizms but if you just watch it for an enjoyable action movie and some interesting humor it is pretty good. Also I do have to agree if you try to compare this to the first movie you will be very dissappointed..or perhaps relieved that it is different, depending on your opinion of the first Ghost Rider movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad movie., May 5, 2014
My husband and I almost turn the movie off within 20 minutes but thought it would get better. Very horrible for the second movie. If you could give a movie negative stars this would be one of them. Story line suck in the start but only got good at the last 15 minutes.

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY Disappointing!, June 21, 2012
I have no words to describe how truly bad this film and Nicolas Cage were....not to mention the other has been and no name actors in this flop.

3.0 out of 5 stars If there's nothing else catching your attention, June 19, 2012
My thoughts on this video are that it's not as bad as some of the scathing critiques I've read on Amazon thus far. But there is some truth to the negative reviews. This is not a movie I would describe as "good." It's more along the "okay" range. I rented it when I was home and wanted only to watch a movie and surf the web. So I got Ghost Rider II and did just that. The acting is generally decent, although Cage is probably the worst in this film - as far as acting goes. But it's based off of a comic book (and a marginally popular character, at that), so my expectations aren't really high. This movie is a decent watch, so long as you keep your perspective. It's got fire, action, fighting, and a steady pace. Is the story line well thought-out? Nope. I agree with another reviewer who said this is Marvel's worst movie product so far; they could've done better. But still, it's not a waste of time either. I'm not someone who'll continue watching a bad movie. I just turn them off and would rather waste the rental money than continue to waste time after having already wasted the money. This movie, I watched until the end. I actually didn't rent this particular movie from Amazon, so I'm on the fence about whether it's worth 4 dollars. Maybe if you just had the urge to see it and it was last on your list of rentals - then it'd be worth $4. Otherwise, check out John Carter or Sherlock Holmes or Safe House. Then come back for Ghost Rider. It's not bad. But it's not good either. Just okay.

1.0 out of 5 stars what a waste!!, June 16, 2012
okay, so i wish they had negative star rating because this waste of time rates a -2 on my scale. The first was pretty good, this one, however, is a complete waste of time and money.I managed to make it 45 mins in before finally having enough of the suck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ghost Rider: Spirt of Vengence, July 12, 2012
To me this movie was just very bad in all aspects. The acting,story & effects were just horrible. This makes the first movie seem very good now to me. This is definetly one of the worst comic book movie that I have seen. It's right down there with the Captain America movie from the 90's. I would not buying this movie or even renting it, just skip it all together. It's 2 hours of your life you won't get back.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (+ UltraViolet Digital Copy) [Blu-ray]