Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Blu-rayChange

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on August 28, 2011
I picked this up assuming that both 2.0 and 1.0 transfers would be of equal quality -- such was not the case. While 2.0 looks great -- that is, if you can put up with pretty dated-looking CG -- 1.0 looks like it's a direct transfer from the original 480p DVD master and looks pretty awful. Buyer beware on this one.
on April 4, 2010
I am reviewing the DVD release, so I won't comment on Blu-Ray picture quality. As noted by others, the changes to the original film are not earth-shattering, and they aren't all improvements.

New computer generated 3D animation is substituted for some of the old cell animation. But the transitions are jarring. The change is hard to justify. The old animation was good, and the style was more or less consistent.

I personally think the English dubbing should have been re-done. Just something about the Major's voice has always been a little too deadpan. But basically the same old voice tracks are used.

The color of the whole film is shifted toward sepia. Everything is more washed-out and more brown than before. It doesn't look good to me.

I bought the 12" laserdisc of GITS when it came out. The first DVD release of GITS was quite good. Maybe you will prefer 2.0, but for me it is change for change's sake. The film is worth multiple viewings, but I'll stick with 1.0, thank you.
0Comment9 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2010
I rented this expecting an visual overhaul of the film. It's just about three scenes in full 3D CGI where as the rest of the film is simply "cleaned up". I didnt want anyone else mislead with this "2.0" edition. I'm glad that I did not purchase this again.
on June 28, 2014
I finally got to rent a copy of GITS 2.0, to determine if it's worth buying. I was wary about the changes they made, as written on the back on the blu-ray case. The verdict: Excellent picture, but the 3D animation enhancements they put in sink it. And it's not so much that I'm against CG enhancements; it's that the CG is cheap and cartoony! What I would expect in the opening crawl of your standard PS3 game, not a motion picture. The opening titles with the fast moving numbers (one of many things that influenced The Matrix) have been replaced by the background menu of a PS3 player, from the looks of it. It's one of many graphics changes. And yet, I could almost forgive all the background changes - except they chose to re-animate in CG our main character (Major Motoko Kusanagi) in two major sequences that are distracting beyond belief! The original filmmakers names are still on this; I don't know how they could think this would look any good, cutting from fake-looking 3D animation back to cell animation in the same scene. The 3D elements in the sequel, Innocence, look better by comparison; likely because it was planned that way.

One blu-ray bonus is that the original version of GITS is in the special features. But I swear they made it look grainy and dirty on purpose (like it was captured off laserdisc or something), just to make 2.0 look like the better, true version. My DVD of GITS looks much better, in comparison to this transfer.

The original Ghost In The Shell = Classic.

The extra blu-ray flash of Ghost In The Shell 2.0 = Fail.
on December 5, 2013
The Blu-ray re-release is bad. It has a bunch of pointlessly added in CGI sequences in place of the original animation... Including the iconic opening scene. Way to s*** on the origonal artists that created this film. It really kinda interrupted the film for me. I also here that colors where changed and some content was missing? I dunno for sure since it been a while since i saw the unedited one.
If you love the -original- film SKIP THIS BLU-RAY!
on December 3, 2011
I originally picked this up because it was supposed to be an "upgraded and enhanced", and hoped it would be beautiful on Blu-ray. 80% of it was. The enhanced animation was beautiful. The colors were vibrant and the picture was great. The biggest sticking point, which immediately dropped my review from 5 stars to 2 (I would've given it a 2.5 if I could), was the CG animation that replaced scenes that were done spectacularly in the original DVD. I've seen better CG in videogames than what was on display, and I actually got upset enough to start screaming at my T.V. The difference is so absolutely jarring that it becomes a major distraction. To put it into perspective, think of the stuff that was tacked on to the original Star Wars trilogy when Lucas re-released it. Yeah it's that bad. GITS is one of my favorite animes, hands down. The original animation is still a sight to see, and the story is complex, mature, and absolutely spectacular. It's one of the few animes that would do well in a full U.S. theatrical release. I really don't feel that this version deserves the 4 star rating it has, it deserves at the most an overall 3, which is the other reason I'm giving it a 2.

I'm hoping and praying that they release a 3.0 with the original animation enhanced, and throw out the CG crap. ONLY buy this if you don't already own it on DVD, and/or can stomach some extremely poorly made and executed CG scenes. If you have the original DVD, and consider yourself to be a purist, AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS!.
0Comment7 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2014
This edition of Ghost in the Shell messes up the brilliant original visuals by trying to make them similar to Innocence. The new CG they have used in some scenes is extremely distracting. The included original version of the film has poor video quality (worse than the DVD). Overall, this was a massive disappointment.
on November 25, 2013
it's just a rehash of the original GITS movie. The only reason to own this is if you are a completist, or if you do not have GITS on DVD or Bluray, the original movie is in there as a "special feature".
That is why I bought it.
The CGI/cel animation mashup is awful, and so is the remixed soundtrack.
on August 13, 2014
Umm I have the first movie (or rather I have a copy on my Comp and i'm pre-ordering the 25th Anniversary blu-ray) I've seen it multiple times it's a really great film but, I don't want to spend more money on something I already have and from what i'm getting out of any of these reviews is "this is the first movie, ignore the 2.0 because its just their way of saying it's been upgraded, because of random CG effects, that really do nothing to help the success of this film, so just buy it on iTunes or Amazon." Thats actually what I understand from most of these reviews so i'm going to say "No sir, I don't like it. Not one bit"... This however is just my view on this because of what i've read... if you wan't waste your time and money go right ahead, i'm looking for the second GitS movie not some ploy for more money!

Unless of course this is the second movie... then maybe i'll shut my yap!
on October 25, 2014
Would not load after halfway point. Even after multiple attempts across multiple browsers.