Ghost Stories
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$5.55 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 17, 2006
Format: Audio CD
I have been a fan of Chantal Kreviazuk's since she released her debut in Canada in 1996. I have had the pleasure of seeing her in concert, with just her and a piano, and it was mezmerizing. I even met her, she is very down to earth and nice. I waited for this new release and now it's here. The album is void of any guitars, instead there are rich string melodies. Some of the songs are growers, but as a whole its a pretty good album. Highlights for me include the moving "Ghosts of You", the inspiring "All I Can Do", and the upbeat "Wonderful". Other highlights include "Asylum" and "Wendy House". Overall a really good cd!

Amazon has the wrong tracklisting though. Here is the correct one:

01 Ghosts of You
08 Grow Up So Fast
09 Wonderful
10 Asylum
11 Wendy House
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
Chantal Kreviazuk is accustomed to co-writing big pop songs for artists like Avril Lavigne (6 tracks from "Under My Skin"), Gwen Stefani and Kelly Clarkson, but now that it's time for her to deliver her own fourth studio album, she chooses to go in the opposite direction, resulting in an angst ridden, sometimes melancholy album that's more gospel than glitter and more personal than Pop.

The first two tracks are not representative of the rest of the album, and on the first listen you may be disappointed that there are not more tracks like these. "Ghosts of You" starts with some sweet, sad strings and then morphs into a ballad lamenting lost love, where she sings "please don't go / these ghosts of you / the only thing that helps get my through the day". The first single "All I Can Do" is definitely the stand out track of the album, and more songs like this would have made for a five star album. With great lyrics like "All I can do is love you to pieces / Give you a shoulder to cry when you need it", this is easily my favorite track.

As I said, you may not like the rest of the album on a first listen, but keep in mind the tracks "Grow Up So Fast", "Wonderful", the gospel chorus of "So Cold" and the stirring, war inspired "Asylum" as you go.

The album showcases Kreviazuk's ability to play a mean piano, which coupled with her plaintive vocals and haunting lyrics makes for some pretty intense listening. It's not going to be the album to get your party started, but you'll reach for it on quiet days when you're feeling a little blue and need something introspective to match your mood. Recommended for the days when a good cry is all you need.

Amanda Richards
on December 25, 2006
Format: Audio CD
Chantal's 4th Studio Album is marvelous, and very much different from her previous 3.

Chantal has taken a cue from Nelly Furtado and has changed her music, to a darker, more lyrical, more angsty and much more soulful level. The lyrics are now very angst-ridden and carries a stronger message to all who listen to it.

All I Can Do is very dark, very meaningful and it makes you yearn for more. However, the rest of the album is not like the first single, ranging from the rousing piano intros of Ghosts of You, the melodious and catchy tune of Wonderful and the shocking lyrics of Asylum.

This album is very varied and it shows that she is no more the girl who mused about Time leaving her behind. She is now the woman who sees the world for what it is.
on June 3, 2007
Format: Audio CD
Chantal Kreviazuk has produced many good songs in the past, some of which are "Time", "In This Life", "These Days" and "Feels Like Home". Her voice is very pure and breathtaking, which allows her to be free spirited and emotional on the tracks mentioned above.

For her previous three albums, she has taken on a more lighthearted approach to the topics she was writing about, like life, destiny and wasting of time. But in this album, she grows darker, and that darkness becomes somewhat her downfall.

"All I Can Do", "Ghost Stories", "Waiting for the Sun" and "Wonderful" are clear standout tracks in this album, with "Spoke In Tongues" making a good lasting impression as well. The US bonus tracks "Time" and "I Do Believe" add on to the good repertoire, with "Time" returning for another show. "I Do Believe" is more like her, albeit a bit darker.

However the rest are painfully hard to listen to, especially Wendy House and You Blame Yourself, where she hits sounds that she has not touched in the past.

What If It All Means Something, her 3rd album, remains her best, and though this album has some gems inside, they are still not enough to make her album as outstanding as it could have been.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
Back around 2003, Chantal Kreviazuk appeared to be another entry in the list of underrated singer-songwriters, especially since she was writing material for a lot of more popular artists like Avril Lavigne. While she still has talent, I don't think her latest album Ghost Stories is quite as good as critics are making it out to be.

There are some great songs on here though, like "Asylum" and "Wonderful" (although it doesn't look so wonderful on paper, but it's all in the way Chantal sings it). But I have no idea what "Wendy House" is supposed to be about, and "You Blame Yourself" has a bizarre chorus. And the first four tracks are pretty lyrically challenged, especially "All I Can Do".

This is also another one of those cases where the two bonus tracks ("Time" and "I Do Believe") are ironic, considering that they're the best songs on the album -- in fact, if it WEREN'T for those songs, I would have had to give the album three stars. Chantal can still sing and all, but she should save more of her great material for herself. Your best bet is to listen to her older albums first (especially What If It All Means Something) before sitting down with some ghost stories.

Anthony Rupert
VINE VOICEon May 2, 2007
Format: Audio CD
I stumbled upon Chantal Kreviazuk in a small record store in Montreal while on a business trip in 1997, attracted by the inherent ethnic contradiction of her first and last names. On a whim I purchased the CD and became a fan, also buying her subsequent follow-ups. Then she disappeared, not unusual for artists that don't burn up the charts and set cashier registers a beeping.

Last year when I saw that she had a new Canadian CD I assumed that she didn't have an American distribution deal and ordered the new CD from Amazon. But lo and behold here we are half a year later and it's getting an overdue stateside release - with bonus tracks to boot.

If you are unfamiliar with Chantal I would recommend reading the editor's notes above which tell you more about her as a performer and a person and a professional than I can. The notes will also tell you the interesting back story of this home-made (in the truest sense of the word) CD.

My job here is to offer my opinion, as a long time fan, of the success or failure of this (not so quite) new offering from this Canadian chanteuse. And that judgment is that this is just a so-so CD. The songwriting doesn't stand out - it's as if she sold out the good ones to other artists and kept the vulnerable whiny ones for herself. There is nothing musically or lyrically distinctive enough to stand out. The thematic contradiction of the counterpoint of "Grow Up So Fast" and "Wonderful" would be interesting if the subject matter hadn't been beaten to death elsewhere over the decades.

"All I Can Do" is a pro forma love song that sounds like the only shot at radio success, but I'm guessing it'll take a cover version to chart. "Speak In Tongues" ("You can never erase what you've become/I know where you're from and that you speak in tongues") gets my vote for best in show with it's brilliant arrangement and clever lyric, but I'm not sure I even understand the title song "Ghosts Of You" which posits the presence of the ghosts while the lover is still there and is "the only one that will stay the same."

Chantal's voice is too often as vulnerable as birdsong and just wore me down. She's much more effective on the songs where she projects more power such as the bonus track "Time." Though the editor above touts the quality of "Asylum," it did nothing for me. "Mad About You" was sweet but insubstantial.

Most Chantal fans will doubtless appreciate this CD to the extent the editor for Amazon did but, for me, it was a disappointment. Perhaps listening to it after the phenomenal new Joan Armatrading was my mistake, but even back when I got the Canadian import CD I wasn't particularly impressed.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 26, 2006
Format: Audio CD
Get over it, she has grown a lot and so has her music. She's getting beat up, just like Heather Nova has been, for writing what she is living now. She is a mom, and if you don't think that doesn't change your perspective, then you need to talk to a new mom. You don't really want the same music that she sang on her first cd, do you? Or her second or her third.

Yes, it is more melodic, less intense, but do you doubt that is how she is feeling right now? If you don't like it, too bad, the rest of us will just enjoy:)

This is the first time I have felt the need to write a review because of the bad ones.
on June 24, 2007
Format: Audio CD
I am not familiar with Chantal Kreviazuk's music. I prefer listening to goth and industrial music for most of the time but every now and then I like to listen to singer/songwriters like Tori Amos and Sarah McLachlan. I recently came across Chantal Kreviazuk's latest album "Ghost Stories" (she obviously aped that title from British singer/songwriter Amanda Ghost) at my local library. I decided to check out her music. I have to admit that I found her cd to be quite pleasant to listen to. The songs have a good pop hook but I also found her music rather bland and uninspiring to listen to. I wasn't too wild about Chantal's voice either. Her voice got on my nevers quite a bit like on "Blame Yourself" which she sounded awfully whiney. I could hear an obvious Sheryl Crow influence in Chantal's voice and I can't say that is a good thing either. "Ghost Stories" is pleasant to listen to but offers nothing that hasn't been said and done before by other female singer/songwriters.
on August 23, 2007
Format: Audio CD
This CD makes a good addition for a long time fan of Chantal's. As a person who has her other 3 CD's, I have grown to love her unique voice and song writing style. Unfortunately for me, none of the songs in this CD has stood out for me. "Wonderfull" is a very catchy song and makes the listeners feel good but for the rest of the other songs in the CD, I felt her voice and song writing talent weren't represented.
The reason I gave it 4 star is because as a fan I feel that she stayed true to her style and her voice is still better than ever. I hope her next CD will have stand out songs that I have grown to love like "Green Apples", "Wayne", "Time" and "What if it all means something".
on January 28, 2008
Format: Audio CD
This album by Chantal Kreviazuk is the absolute best one she has made.
There is not one of the songs on this album i don't like.
The piano part of the songs are incredible and really well komposed.have the sheet music to some of the songs on the album, and all I can say is that this music is written with great musical insight and intelligence.No wonder she has had so many hits with that mind.The lyrics are great too and really touches isues that concerns everyone, who has just lived a litle.All in All this is an Album that connects lyrics and music in a way that speaks to people, who has an ear for quality.
Love, love , love this album and this artist.