5.0 out of 5 stars A great "American Made" album.
Published 8 months ago by PeaceSells215

3.0 out of 5 stars solid Album
If your a fan you're going love the album. If you're not its a solid album well produce and the band is a great band. Nothing ground breaking but a good album to have in your collection.
Published 6 months ago by DORA TENDILLA

5.0 out of 5 stars A great "American Made" album., November 11, 2013
PeaceSells215 (TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Thief (Audio CD)
When I heard that Living Sacrifice was coming out with a new album a week ago. I freaked out! I had no clue! But, I did know I had to preorder this album. When I think about Living Sacrifice, I think of two albums in particular. The debut, a great thrash album. And Reborn, an album that some say is their best. While I do agree Reborn is good, I have to say that Ghost Thief is growing on me. The production, is great. Hands down, one of the best produced albums of 2013. Some people may think that's a bad thing, in this case, it fits the albums perfectly. Now to the main review.

"Screwtape" Starts of melodically and then explodes to an onslaught of riffs and double bass. Has a thrashy groove feel that most associate Living Sacrifice with. By the way, yes Ryan Clark does a killer job on this track. The last 30 seconds are beautiful and fitting to the end of a great first track. "Ghost Thief" the title track, builds up steam with a simple riff and some basic drumming and then everything changes. The double bass kicks in and the thrash picks up the riff is infectious. "The Reaping" one of the early singles, if you haven't heard it, it kills. Some great thrash and groove influences in the song. Almost mid paced throughout the song and is one of the bests lyrically. "Straw Man" starts of melodically, and then the vocals become the most brutal of the album, so far. "Sudden" has some really intricate guitar work mixed with some really nice drumming. Sure it isn't the most technical work ever, but it fits this track perfectly and it is one of the best off the album. "Mask" practically a groove metal track, the chorus is pretty cool but to me its pretty average. The breakdown is decent and I find the solo annoying to be honest. BUT! luckily, "American Made" picks things back up. It starts with a pretty funky riff and then just stays brutal from start to finish. "Before" same with the last track, nothing to technical but the song really starts around 1:30 in. "Your War" has a strange intro, one I would expect from a Demon Hunter album, but overall this is a five star track and one of the highlights. The guitar is chugging along and the lyrics are (in usual fashion) brutal. "Despair" closes things with a BANG. This is what I love about this band! The double bass pummels anything before. And the guitar work is very Slayer(ish)

Overall, depending on your history with Living Sacrifice, this is one of their best albums in my opinion. It has a few low points and at a few points I do lose interest but only for a few seconds. Ghost Thief is a killer release and is one of the best in 2013. I recommend this to anyone who likes thrash or groove metal. If you're Christian I know we already love this band, if you aren't these guys play just as heavy and fast as any secular band, I highly recommend you check them out. Great job Living Sacrifice! Great album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Firing on all cylinders, November 12, 2013
Michael (FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Thief (Audio CD)
When I read about Living Sacrifice's reunion, I anticipated a new studio would follow. 2010's The Infinite Order was my answer, and boy did it blow me away. That album saw the band taking what they had done on Conceived In Fire, and infusing it with old school thrash from their earlier works. After such an abrasive album, you might assume that maybe they've put all their energy into that album and the next one may not get as much. Think again! They've kicked it again and then some, proving that they're still the innovators of christian metal. If you haven't listened to Living Sacrifice and you're looking for something that's heavy, but also meaningful and thought-provoking, check them out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Metal as it was meant to be heard., November 14, 2013
This review is from: Ghost Thief (MP3 Music)
This is Living Sacrifice as they should be. Energetic, thrashy, fast paced, and in your face. They have not put this much power into an album in years. Well written music and lyrics that are fairly cohesive throughout the album. You may be familiar with a couple of the riffs, but they never feel ripped off, just familiar. Clearly, this is a well-seasoned band who knows what an metal album should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do your ears and speakers a favor and buy this!, November 21, 2013
This review is from: Ghost Thief (MP3 Music)
There has been a lot of great music to come out in 2013, but this album is quickly becoming my favorite. There's not a bad song on it! Screwtape, Ghost Thief, Mask, The Reaping.... should always be cranked to 11!

5.0 out of 5 stars Living Sacrifice does it again., November 19, 2013
Christopher Blosser (Kew Gardens, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Thief (Audio CD)
It's very challenging to pick a favorite Living Sacrifice album. I was blown away by 'Reborn', but was equally impressed by 'The Hammering Process' and 'Conceived in Fire'. I've only recently been immersing myself in The Infinite Order' . . . and now comes along 'Ghost Thief'. Another masterpiece.

What can I say? -- each album is incredible: solid chunks of head-banging metal. A perfect blend of thrash, speed, death, hardcore -- with a bit of melody thrown in -- that stand on their own. The musicianship is awe-inspiring. Most of the metal bands you hear ad nauseum on the radio WISH they could play this good.

In fact, heretical as it may be to metalheads, as much as I like the so-called "big four" -- Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeth-- while each band has produced incredible stand-alone albums, none of them IMHO has produced such a stream of impressive, musically-diverse-yet-consistently-impressive works as Living Sacrifice, from 2004's "Reborn" onward. (That is not to discount the greatness of their purist death metal releases prior, just not my cup of tea).

As to this particular LP. It's not as abrasive as 'Conceived in Fire'. It's not as immediately "catchy" or radio-friendly as the nu-metal dominant 'Hammering Process'. Howbeit it manages to blend the best of previous work.

Everybody will have their favorite. Stand out-tracks for me on are the title track, 'The Reaping', 'Straw Man', and 'Before'.

Actually, I would say "Before' blew me away and was well the worth the price of the album.

"It comes as a Ghost Thief." Crank it up and let it pound you into oblivion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome CD!, December 21, 2013
This review is from: Ghost Thief (Audio CD)
Probably the best Living Sacrifice cd ever! Really, really good music and lyrics, and the guest vocals by Ryan Clark on Screwtape were amazing! Great album!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of there best!!!, June 6, 2014
This review is from: Ghost Thief (MP3 Music)
Perfect for longtime fans and if your new to the band, its a great introduction to these pioneering faith based bands. This is full of character and sounds very sleek, leaving the listener with a certain freshness coming from both good production and passionate delivery...over all an album worthy of your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album!, June 4, 2014
This review is from: Ghost Thief (MP3 Music)
I've never heard of you guys before this. I've been a huge fan of Demon Hunter, and accidentally stumbled upon your album on Youtube while listening to some new Demon Hunter and can't get enough of this album. So I looked up the other albums and listen to them - fantastic all around! But this one is my favorite album. Thank you for letting me listen to it for free on Youtube first, so I can determine if I like it enough to purchase it. I'll be watching/listening for new music from you guys again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great album, April 27, 2014
This review is from: Ghost Thief (Audio CD)
Living Sacrifice has once again released an epic record. One that I will enjoy for years to come. Love It!

5.0 out of 5 stars Old meets new and the result is fantastic!, April 23, 2014
This review is from: Ghost Thief (Audio CD)
If you're any kind of self-respecting Living Sacrifice fan, you already have this album, so you don't need convincing. For anybody who isn't sure - I assure you that every metal head needs to own this.

It's like LS went back and listened to their whole catalog from 1991 on and asked "if we were making these records now, how would we do them?" In the meantime, they've gained so much experience and musicianship that they can be even more creative now. And that's the real magic here - staying brutal heavy and sticking to the base LS sound while trying to convey something new and engaging from start to finish. So what's different this time? The song structures are more technical, with lots of timing changes, breakdowns and deftly executed scoops and slides. The guitar solos are great - better than anything we've gotten from them before. There is a lot of old thrash and a little death metal influence, but with modern presentation and production.

As for the production, it's top notch. I could write a paragraph about the guitar tone, but won't bore you. Like I say sometimes, guitar tone is not a big thing in metal - it's the BIGGEST thing. What stands out the most from other new releases is the drum recording, which seems very "real" sounding vs. the highly processed stuff we find a lot in heavy music. Sometimes drums seem a little light in the mix, but this may be intentional to leave lots of headroom for drum dynamic range instead of just compressing it to death, as seems pretty common.

Ghost Thief