Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

on August 17, 2012
DVD Version:

22 Episodes
5 DVD Discs
English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Audio Commentaries

Special Features

The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Descent into Darkness (Featurette)
The Original Vampires: The Beginning (Featurette)
Second Bite: Bloopers

Blu-ray Version:

22 Episodes
4 Blu-ray Discs
English (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1)
Audio Commentaries

Special Features

The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Descent into Darkness (Featurette)
The Original Vampires: The Beginning (Featurette)
Second Bite: Bloopers
The Producer's Page (The Writer's Pack, The Producer's Spells and Sound FX, Score, and Suspense)
Favorite Scenes: The Series' Most Heart-Stopping Moments
1010 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2012
I was only somewhat shocked about the turn of events in this episode; I felt it was just a matter of time before certain events occurred (so as not to be too much of a spoiler, I will just say that this is in regard to what happens with Alaric and Elena). Some issues were wrapped up, but we are left with enough cliffhangers to keep us on edge until the show returns in the fall. There were plenty of the twists that keeps fans of the show hooked! All in all, a very exciting season finale for one of the most addictive shows on TV. If a fan of this show, this episode is a must!
Just to comment on Vampire Dairies in general and the Twilight comparisons: I gave this show a shot when I was bored with my usual TV fare and wanted something different, waiting to sneer at the "cheap Twilight knock-off." But to my surprise, Vampire Dairies is SO MUCH BETTER (and I am a fan of Twilight!). This show is everything Twilight wants to be. The acting is better, the stories more engaging, there are no neat little happy endings, and, for the characters, the lines between good and evil are much more blurred, which, in my opinion, provides for greater dramatic impact. Don't be put off by the demographic this show is aimed at (I am WAY over that line!)- its just a well-made show that deserves greater recognition.
on October 2, 2011
Great storyline, sexy cast, great acting, great directing and producing. The show seems to get better and better. Episode after episode. And since the very first episode blew my mind, season three is a killer!
on November 10, 2011
This show is just so amazing. I been a fan since season one and I could say it just keeps getting better and better. The plots pull off more action and blood, but also a more deep look on the characters feelings. Also, the introduction of new characters (and comebacks of old ones) are part of the reason has been so good since the beginning.
Every episode is a great episode, because sometimes in a show they are some few episodes you want to forget (maybe because they're too boring, and useless for the main plot), but that's not the case with this show. Every episode is important.
I know that only half of the season aired (writing this as of November 10th, the original airing of the "mid-season" finale), but I could say is so far so good. I can't wait to see the another half (hopefully something more extreme). Anyway, I hope this show lasts at least five seasons, because it has a lot of strings to pull off, and that fans could enjoy easily... It's worth the pre-order.
on October 16, 2011
I only regret is that it is only on once a week. I think that the Vampire Diaries Series has the potential to run for many seasons to come. There is a fantastic set of characters that can travel back and forward in time to revel the secrets of the past and how they interplay with the present and the future. the historic perspectives are so interesting. Europe, Romania, Chicago .Mystic Fall, The plots and settings are endless can't get enough off it. Did I mention the love story and sexual tension between so many of the characters, not only the stars of the series Damien, Elena and Stefan. Want more could we possibly ask for than more,more,more!!!
33 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2012
Each episode gets more intense! The characters are amazing, sexy, incredably talented and really, really intense. The plot thickens at every corner and I find myself saying WOW, at the end of each scene... alot!!! I"m completely hooked!
on October 23, 2011
I absolutely love this show! I put off watching it for a long time, all the while enjoying the Twilight series, Trueblood, Ghost Whisperer, Supernatural and similar shows. I was hooked after just a few episodes. And now, even into the 3rd season, each episode continues to shock me, with (spoiler alert) the most recent surprise being that of Tyler's uncle Mason returning.

One problem I have with season 3 is when in the world is Elena and Damon going to hook up? Am I the only viewer has been waiting for this to happen for the past year now? Stefan, Elena and Damon and the 3 main characters and the show IS advertised as the "love triangle" being the main theme, so, how is it they can drag it out for this long and NOT give Damon and Elena a chance? I watch each episode just waiting for something to happen, and while it is always quite entertaining and I love the twists and surprises at the end of each episode, I really think they are dragging it out between Elena and Damon for too long. Also, I would LOVE to see how Stefan, now with no humanity, would react to seeing Elena with Damon? Even without his humanity, I know that a core part of him still loves Elena, compelled or not.

My absolute FAVORITE part of Season 3 is the love affair with Tyler and Caroline. Caroline's character has evolved from a snobby, whiny, shallow, princess type, into a smart, considerate, intelligent and interesting character. Tyler has also evolved into someone more fun to watch as well. I think their sex scene in episode 2 or 3, was one of the best sex scenes I have ever seen. I love the chemistry they have and I hope they stay together and it works out. Someone needs to turn Matt into something, anything, because his character is just too boring. He's been sad since the first show, first season. Geez, give the guy something to live for already! Through it all though, I love Damon. Ian Somerhalder is just breathtakingly gorgeous! If I were Elena I'd be throwing myself at him by now. How many times can a guy save your life before you at least throw him a bone?!!

The one person I really miss is Jenna. I don't know how they could bring her back, but, if they bring anyone back, I wish it would be her. She brought a certain element to the show that doesn't exist without her. The show's different with her gone. I admit they didn't give her character a whole lot to work with, but she was a great actor and I enjoyed watching her. She was quite pretty as well. I'd like to see Anna come back to life too. All the different elements involved with each character make this show superb. Any 1-2 characters in the show have so much going in in their own lives, they could almost have a show of their own. So, when you combine all of these characters, you have an extremely compelling (no pun intended) show that I just can NOT get enough of!!
on September 22, 2011
I admit, I am hooked on this show! I watch it with my pre-teen daughter and it appeals to both of us for very different reasons. The fact that both an 11-year old and her 47-year old mother enjoy it is a true testament to just how good it really is. The story keeps moving, always keeping you more than interested and on your toes. I look forward to each and every week. And for those that compare the show to the other vamp stories (Twilight, etc.) out there, PLEASE DON'T! Vampire Diaries (both the books and the show) blows them all out of the water.
44 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2011
This episode was the best of the best I've ever seen in my life especially when Klaus cried because his so-called father was taunting him about his faults. Also Damon now has changed personally and emotionally throughout season 3 from the way I see it. Stefan's the new bad boy trying to make everyone's lives a living hell such as ticking Klaus off. Elena's the changing perspective type of girl who is now falling deeper in love with Damon and is slipping away from what she and Stefan had it seems. Since the ghosts are now gone, maybe, everyone is having a somewhat more simpler life including Jeremy, Bonnie, and Damon. Katherine is the interesting topic for me as she starts talking about how she's deciding to turn on the emotions since vampires in this TV show can turn it off but it seems to bite them in the butt if they do it long enough. Hell will break loose when Stefan does something wrong and Klaus wins, what will be of The Vampire Diaries next after everyone that Stefan has ever met dies or disappears from the season?
on December 18, 2011
The Vampire Diaries season 3 is full of magic and mayhem and does not relent for a second!

One of the best things about Vampire Diaries is the lore and the mythology the creators and the writers have intertwined with the show. We learn so much about the origins and history of all of the characters of the vamps, weres and witches - each mythos being fresh and darn right brilliant. To me, VD is the best vampire franchise ever, second only to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. VD is far superior to Twilight, because the romance is actually realistic and authentic and the show is actually dark, like a vampire franchise should be. VD is better then True Blood because, True Blood (excluding the brilliant first season) tries waaaaay too hard to be dark and gritty and it focuses more on the sex and blood then it does on the acutal characters and storylines. Dont get me wrong, Vampire Diaries is def flawed, but on a scale of 1 to 10, it is a 8.5 and like I said, it is the best vampire franchise since the cult series, Buffy. Season 3, so far, has withoutadoubt(!) been the best season thus far and it only gets better! Its dark and sexy and doesn't try too hard while still touching every element a vampire show should have and more!

The characters, every single one of them are well rounded and the show has a cast of brilliantly strong females; from Katherine and Elena, to the amazing Caroline and the great Bonnie and the really missed Anna and Lexie! This is a show Twilight and True Blood should have aspired to be like ..... also, Secret Circle, you are a good show, but not as good as your sister program, VD, so take a note and quit the sex nonsense and sub-nudity and get better, like I know you can. Your a great show, but you can be amazing like Vampire Diaries!!!

I really enjoy the way Stefan has been this season. The writers have done an amazing job at keeping bad.... I thought he would be bad for the first few eps and then Elena would 'save' him, but that is not how it turned out and I am very glad!! Stefan is bad. Stefan is bad. Stefan is bad. He may love Elena, but he is staying on darkside and is doing what he wants, which is getting his revenge against Klaus, which is awesome!!

Damon and Elena are getting closer and I know many people are very glad about that, though it doesn't matter to me either way who Elena ends up with, the fluidity of Elena and Damon's relationship is simply perfect!! VD has some amazing people working on this show!

Anna and Jeremy's storyline was amazing and I really miss Anna! It was such a sad and moving storyline and I hope it is not the end of the ghost, especially with Vickie wanting to return to the living...

Caroline and her qualms with her father was amazing, I really hope we get to see more of him.

The Originals are awesome and I cannot wait til we see who has been cast for the rest of the family!

I love this show and I hope it continues to get better and sticks around for a while!!

Bonnie is going dark.

Elena and Damon finally kissed and it was amazing!!

This show is astounding.

And now Elena is a Vampire?!?!?!

Yep.

So incredible and I cannot wait for the 4th season.

My only 'real' problem with the show is how they just slide the main characters in and out, when they are needed. Unlike the cult Buffy, there is no core cast/friendship that the viewer can connect with and love and adore. I like many of the characters, but they don't have that bestfriendsalways mojo that I wish they did. They appear when they are needed and then are gone for a few episodes with no explantion, reappearing a few episodes later.... Other then that, this show is one of my favorite shows on TV!

Recommend: American Horror Story, Pretty Little Liars, Game of Thrones, Secret Circle, Switched at Birth, Glee, New Girl, Shameless!!

~Valen Steel at [...]