4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap as heck and the transfer is upgraded!
Well, this isn't packed with special features, but it's sure worth more than two stars. After all, what do you expect for a double-feature (each film is in its own thin-pak case) plus episodes of the cartoon (which it will be great to reminisce while watching, by the way) and a scrapbook at such a low price?

The real treat that home theater enthusiasts and most...
Published on July 26, 2005 by D. Marvin

3.0 out of 5 stars all time classic films with good yet limited bonus material
Published on June 11, 2006 by Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap as heck and the transfer is upgraded!, July 26, 2005
D. Marvin (Council Bluffs, IA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

The real treat that home theater enthusiasts and most people with eyes will appreciate is that the transfers have been remastered and are marvelous-looking. That alone makes this a good companion to the old discs (KEEP THE OLD RELEASES because the video commentary from the first Ghostbusters DVD isn't on this new one and the neither are theatrical trailers). e-mail me for a link to comparison pics of the transfer upgrades! Worth an upgrade for home theater enthusiasts and fans of the cartoon (and fans of cool gimmick packaging, too, I guess!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good DVD and a better story., March 31, 2010
I received the DVD a few days earlier than expected, and in an unexpected way.

There was a knock on the door, it was maybe 2 in the morning. I don't really remember. I slowly got out of bed and peeked through the doorhole to see who it could possibly be.

It was Bill effing Murray. Dressed up as a ghostbuster. When I opened the door, he clicked a remote to turn on a stereo boombox he had with him. Ghostbusters theme blaring, he starts dancing. 70's disco style.

After "WHO YOU GONNA CALL," he held the DVD case up to my face and paused the song. I was silent, he lowered the case and put it in my face again.

"Ghostbusters?" I asked.

He started the music again, put the dvd down on my doormat, took the boombox and danced away.

I opened up the DVD case when I got back inside, and on the INSIDE of the SHRINK WRAPPED DVD CASE, I kid you not there was a note that read

"No one will ever believe you. No one buys DVDs anymore."

I got noise complaints from other people in the apartment the next day. I told them I was sorry and wouldn't play my music so loud. Let's face it. No one would believe otherwise.

Excellent DVD. High quality video and audio, and the extras are AWESOME.

4.0 out of 5 stars Widescreen/Fullscreen box misprint, August 3, 2005
The outside box does say that GB is in fullscreen and GB2 is in widescreen. However, that is a misprint. Originally they did intend to release it this way, but the backlash was so severe that they reversed this (stupid) decision. I guess the box artwork was already printed by this point. Rest assured that the actual movies are BOTH in widescreen and there is not even a fullscreen option. The inside boxes do both indicate widescreen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the double-dip for devoted fans only, August 29, 2005
Cubist (United States) - See all my reviews
Most of the extras from the original special edition are included in this new version with some missing in action. Gone is the video portion of the audio commentary which did add a Mystery Science Theater 3000 quality but is not a huge omission. However, also gone are the trailers and the subtitled production notes that one could see while watching the movie. For these alone you might want to hold onto your previous edition.

The picture quality of both movies has been improved significantly, although, maybe it's because I am so used to the old transfers that, at times, this new one looks too good. And then, some scenes look just as grainy as the previous edition but this may be due to the film stock at the time.

The Ghostbusters 2 DVD originally had no extras and it still doesn't have any that pertain to the movie but two new additions are an episode from The Real Ghostbusters cartoon, entitled "Citizen Ghost" and "Partners in Slime" from the much inferior Slimer and The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. Hopefully, this means that Sony is finally going to release these shows on DVD at long last.

Finally, there is a nice, glossy movie scrapbook that features more storyboards, stills and poster designs from the movies.

4.0 out of 5 stars About the widescreen issue..., August 4, 2005
Just a bit of information I know I would have like to have had before I bought it: There are some reviews on this page complaining that the first film is presented only in fullscreen.. The slip-cover for the set does, in fact, list the first film as being in fullscreen, and the second as being in 2.40:1 widescreen.. which confused me and I bought it anyway figuring that there was no reason they would do one film properly but not the other. Then I noticed that on the slip-cover under special features they list the FIRST film as being in widescreen, but NOT the second... It gets stranger. When you open it and look at the individual cases, the first film is labeled as being in 2.40:1 widescreen, and the second is listed as being in 2.35:1 (NOT 2.40)...

Well, dyslexic cover-art designers aside, when you watch the films they ARE BOTH IN WIDESCREEN.. whether one is 2.40 and one is 2.35 I didn't really bother to figure out, and frankly I doubt given the attention to detail displayed on the boxes. Either way, the films do look really good.

The special features are, like most people said, nothing to scream about and mainly re-packaged from the earlier releases with the notable exception of episodes from the cartoon, which are pretty awful. The scrapbook is nice, despite having an odd odor like burnt french fries...

As for the films themselves, I haven't really watched them since I was about 12, and so it was pure nostalgia. They were actually better than I expected. The first one is plainly the "better" movie, and the second one basically shamelessly recreates its plot blow by blow (Instead of stay puft, we have the statue of liberty, instead of an evil apartment building, we have an evil museum, instead of arguments with a surprisingly accommodating mayor and his meddlesome underlings, we have... arguments with a surprisingly accommodating mayor and his meddlesome underlings.) However, in some strange way, the second film feels fresher to me, and the real joy of the movies was watching these great actors do their thing, and they're all just as good the second time around. Even if Winston still has nothing to do besides show up once in a while to deflect criticism about an all-white cast.

So, anyway, hoped that cleared up some stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars all time classic films with good yet limited bonus material, June 11, 2006
I have been a long-time fan of the ghostbuster movies and real ghostbusters tv show (I haven't seen extreme ghostbusters). Regarding the movies though, I've noticed that people have given them mixed reviews. Some prefer the first ghostbusters over ghostbusters II and that's fine. As for me, I think both are equally good. What I can't understand is why some people think that ghostbusters II isn't near as good as the first. Both were well writen, well acted, and had a good mix of comedy and spookiness. Plus, the evil ghost in the painting was creepy, the river of slime was creative, the statue of liberty effects were classic, and the positron slime guns that Ray and Egon created added a nice feature. Honestly, what's not to like about ghostbusters II? Moving on to the DVDs... For the ghostbusters dvd, the picture/sound transfer has been upgraded, there are a good number of features such as ten deleted scenes, making of featurettes from 1984 & 1999, art concepts, storyboards, and a special effects featurette. Ghostbusters received the treatment it deserved. As for the ghostbusters II dvd, the picture/sound transfer has been upgraded as well and the bonus features include two episodes from the real ghostbusters series. This is where the lackluster treatment comes in. Only one of these episodes "Citizen Ghost" is good in my opinion. It was a great tie-in between the ghostbuster movies. The other episode "Partners In Slime" is from the later Slimer & the Real Ghostbusters series which by the way was not good and too childish. Aside from having only one good episode as a bonus feature, there are no more bonus features to speak of. This is a real letdown considering that there was 20 minutes worth of deleted scenes occasionally aired on network television over the years. Not only that, but there was a 30 minute Oprah interview back in 1988 which featured almost the entire cast from ghostbusters II. And what about featurettes, storyboards, production notes, showing special effects, and all that other stuff? I simply don't see any reason for ghostbusters II not getting the same dvd treatment as the original ghostbusters. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if a special edition director's cut dvd eventually comes out for ghostbusters II which I seriously would like to happen soon. Now if you own the previous releases of Ghostbusters I & II, keep those because the bonus material for the first ghostbusters is the same and though the the two real ghostbuster episodes aren't on the previous ghostbusters II dvd, the fact that you can view the movie in widescreen is a good enough reason to keep it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A box set so good it's spooky, October 18, 2003
This review is from: Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (DVD)
Ghostbusters is just one of those movies that leaves it's footprint on our culture's collective consciousness. "Who ya gonna call" brings out an automatic response to anyone who lived during the 80s and even for many of those who were born after the 1984 debut of Mr. Stay-Puft and Slimer. The Ghostbusters (1984) disk has everything a die hard fan would want, yet has interesting info on the filmmaking process to keep the casual movie watcher occupied. It has several documentaries made during filming and a 15 year retrospective with cast and crew. The director/star commentary provides amusing anecdoetes with Reitman and Ramis' silhouettes a la MST3K. There are oodles of production photos, concept sketches and even before and after SFX shots. The only thing I regret it doesn't have is the music video performed by Ray Parker Jr.
Ghostbusters II certainly doesn't equal or surpass the original, but it is still an entertaining film in its own right. Definately worth buying for the film, but unfortunately, the second disk doesn't offer hardly any of the special features that the original has. Cast biographies and 3 trailers make up all this disk has to offer.
Both disks have a crystal clear picture and while the sound may not be up to par with more modern films, you can still hear the thrum of the proton packs and the rumble of the Marshmallow Man's footsteps with excellent clairity.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! A simply stunning DVD Set!, April 30, 2001
I've always loved the Ghostbusters movies, and these DVD really deliver! The first CD is loaded--and I mean packed--with goodies about the first movie. Everything from Director/Actor commentary to story boards to scenes with and without the effects for comparrison... it's all there! This set is worth the first DVD alone.
Enough about what features come with the DVD (like a couple of documentaries on the movie), and more about the movies themselves!
Who couldn't enjoy the laughter and the magic surrounding these two movies? Both are great fun and laughs. Some guys go into business catching ghosts... wouldn't we all love to do that?
How can I say more about an american classic? These movies are easily some of the best movies of all time. Any fan of the Ghostbusters should buy this DVD--trust me--it's worth every last penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pick Em Both Up!, March 19, 2004
This review is from: Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (DVD)
Ghostbusters has always been one of my favs! And this DVD release has a been difitally remastered and includes a few newly done scenes! There not brand new scenes or redone completly, the scene is still there, it just has a bit of addition to the end battle with Goza and shows the building a bit more! You wont notcie it really!
Ghostbusters 1 is a great comedy that changed the way people looked at ghosts and ghost effects! These days the FX might look a bit dodgy compared to what they can do these days, but remember they didnt have the tech we have now back then, and this was breaking FX when these movies came out, and they defnitly did a great job with it!
On the first disc you get a few bonus features of trailers , deleted scenes, and a few extras, and of coarse your usualy auiod commentry!
The disapointing bit was I never heard the story of how Ghostbusters came about! Dan Akroyds brother really is an actualy Ghostbuster! They dont catch ghosts or do anything like in this film, but his brother is a paranormal investigator and thats were the idea for this movie began!
Part 2 is a movie that wasnt too bad. but it was not as good as the first! Far from it! But at least the same cast returned and there are far worse movies out there to say it was a bad movie! It may not contain any bonus features on that disc, but its still good to have the collection of both films!
Its a shame when in 1998 the go ahead for Ghostbusters 3 was cancelled. Bill Murry did not want to take place in it, at least they know that a sequll wont work without the original cast!
But these 2 movies are worth getting for your collection if you enjoy paronormal comedies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Classics In A Pod!, November 29, 2005
Goes without saying:"Ghostbusters" is a comedy classic of the finest order for the supernatural/slime obsessed person in us all.It has that element that alot of movies like this tend to lack in today like-pure movie escapism.And the theme is the movie theme to END all movie themes to me-the ultra funky Ray Parker Jr hitting his serious paydirt at last!The cast is like a roll call of classic 80's comedians (missing only Eddie Murphy to make a complete picture) and they all shine their best,especially Bill Murrey as he haplessly begins falling for the lovely but haunted Dana (Sigonour Weaver)even as she is possessed by the freaky Zule,the gatekeeper.Almost know every line-Annie Potts is also hilerous!

I've never seen part two until this point and I must say it was right up there with the first.And I generally don't like sequals.But more slime was added and Dana now gets a baby who's to be kidnapped by a tyranical painting come to life.In fact the second movie may be more pure comedy then the original.The orginal had a few genuine horror movie elements-the second is a little more like an early version of 'Scarry Movie'.Somehow horror and comedy end up being a great mixture no matter how you cut it or (I can't resist) who your gonna call!

Ghostbusters / Ghostbusters II (4K-Mastered + Included Digibook) [Blu-ray]