4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars
Published on June 11, 2008 by Kelley Hunt

1.0 out of 5 stars Over the Top
I wanted to believe. I so desperately wanted to believe and I started reading the book with great excitement, like when you're opening a gift. I've read books by George Anderson, etc. and I myself have had the experience of "talking" to my mother through a medium.

Published on January 28, 2010 by Loco Iberico

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, June 11, 2008
This review is from: Ghosts Among Us: Uncovering the Truth About the Other Side (Hardcover)
I have never seen JVP's tv shows but the title of this book attracted me so I decided to read it. It is written in very basic language, and illustrated with many stories from JVP's experiences. It should be easy for anyone to understand. In the book he discusses how the spirits of people who have died will sometimes hang around the Earth instead of moving into the "Light". He gives reasons they sometimes have for staying around; unfinished business, not realizing or accepting that they are dead, fear of crossing over into 'Hell', being too firmly invested in the material world, etc. JVP also discusses the many dimensions of the universe which exist and how the spirits of people who do too much evil on Earth become trapped in lower dimensions (what we think of as "Hell"). The topic of reincarnation is briefly touched on as JVP tells us that spirits tend to reincarnate in "family" groups and therefore we are around the same spirits in human form, century after century during our lives on Earth. Beyond ghosts, JVP also discusses the power of human and spirit thought, and how thoughts help create our world and our reality. Meditation is discussed briefly. There is little discussion of the entity that we call "God" and I wish JVP had shared more of his thoughts or impressions on that subject. At the end JVP shares some techniques regarding getting in touch with the spirit world, and protecting oneself from the influences of negative energy from other humans and spirits. Although I don't believe any one person has all the answers about the workings of the universe, I thought this book for the most part was an interesting, informative read. I think if there is anyone out there struggling with belief that they should read this book and also some books on meditation. There is nothing in my experience like practicing meditation to make one realize that there really is something out there besides the short life we experience on this planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, May 25, 2008
As soon as I knew about this book I bought it. I just knew it would be a fabulous read and I was not disappointed. I read it in one sitting. Just couldn't put it down. Thought about sending it to my Mom, but decided to keep it so I can read it again and again. I'll order my mother another one. I'm sure it will bring her comfort like it does me. It's very inspirational to live your life to the fullest and best that you can.

I had a reading by James shortly after my father's death and in that reading he told me that my father was telling me where my mother had been and that he had been with her. I called my mother and told her and she was unable to speak. She had just been to their favorite place in Sedona, AZ with all the fountains and to know dad was there with her brought her to tears she was so happy. James also told me things NO ONE on earth including me could possibly have known. I am still in contact with my father and others who have passed thanks to James validating what I thought was true. Love you James. Keep up your fantabulous work!!

Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, informative read, May 19, 2008
LA Man (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
James Van Praagh has always written interesting, informative and accessible books and this latest offering is no exception. Whether you're seeking a higher spiritual truth or simply fascinated with the subject matter, this one delivers. Everyone will experience the death of a loved one at some point in their lives (I recently lost my father), and during those times Van Praagh's words will offer comfort, hope and renewal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spiritual Homerun !, May 19, 2008
Mr. Van Praagh's book is very interesting, a good read, clearly and logically written. It is a homerun ! James tells us his personal experiences with spirit, and then he teaches us how to reach spirit ourselves. In this day and age of infommercials, when everyone wants to get people to pay big bucks to learn things, I find Mr. Van Praagh to be refreshing. He walks his talk and he teaches each one of us what to do to develope ourselves, the how to, with all the details. How to reach spirit because we all have the gift. This book is an immeasurable treasure to those who read it. For each of us, if we are honest, is yearning to go beyond, and to grow out of fear and pain and to grow forward in love. This book shows the way !

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on this subject - has most answers, June 10, 2009
Kerry D (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This is the absolute best book about ghosts and what happens to us after we are dead. Here's some of the things that I learned from the book:

(1) When we die, our spirit comes out of our body and we retain all of our memories. In spirit-form, we are exactly the same person only without a body.

(2) We in spirit-form choose to either hover around and watch our funerals or go to the light. At death, everyone has either friends, deceased family members, or a spirit guide meet us.

(3) In spirit-form, you can think of a place and immediately be there. This includes another planet.

(4) In spirit-form, you can go to all of the same places you did before you died. For example, you can go to your church and sit in the pews. While your ghost is sitting in the pew, there may be a wedding going on in our reality, but you in spirit-form will only see the sermon from before you died.

(5) In spirit-form you will appear in what ever clothing you want, just from thought.

(6) Your dead relatives can pop in and out of your home, bathroom, work-place, etc whenever they want and see what you're doing.

(7) Dead people read minds. If you think of a dead relative, that dead relative will know it and may come to you if they want. Dead people can read minds so whatever you're thinking about them, they will know it. Example: if you want to know if your dead grandma is OK with you selling her house, you can ask her to give you a sign that it's OK by asking her out loud or just thinking the question. You may have to wait a couple of days but eventually you should see her "OK sign". The example in the book was a license plate that had the dead person's initials and ended in OK.

(8) Your dead relatives can try to contact you by making an object appear somewhere. Example, if your dead son was a rock collector when he was alive, then he could move a rock and place it in your bathroom under a towel. Obviously there wouldn't be a rock in your bathroom normally so when you pick up the towel and see the rock drop to the floor, you should realize that your dead son is telling you he's OK. The rock doesn't just float through your house, it would appear instantaneously.

These are samples of the good information in this book. I recommend it highly.

One more bit of info - Lucille Ball's spirit still visits the studio where she made the Lucille Ball TV show. In spirit-form she told James that she visits the studio because she was always very happy there doing what she loved.

1.0 out of 5 stars Over the Top, January 28, 2010

But a quarter through the book, the author's fantastic claims begin to be really over the top, like a compendium of other ghost stories. For example, the story about the Vietnam War father was ripped from "Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. Did he think that no one would notice? And if he was aware of the similarities, why even bother to include it in the book when for sure he has so many other equally poignant stories he could share? But I kept reading anyway only to be further shocked by his other totally off-the-deep-end claims:

- If you're depressed, you could be possessed
- If you're fat or gaining weight, you could be possessed
- There are phantom medical teams who come to heal us, complete with phantom doctors in phantom scrubs: ripped from the movie "Chances Are" with Cybil Shepherd and Robert Downey Jr. Actually, this one really made me think how the author thought he could get away with such fantasies
- Abraham Lincoln came to assure him personally
- Lucille Ball chatted him up at the CBS studios

What's even worse was the way the author praised himself in all his stories; that if it weren't for his intercession, the dead and the living would not have found peace or moved on. This I find really disgusting. I think the word "medium" refers to a conduit, someone who mediates, like a telephone line. Not someone who speaks of himself in messianic proportions.

I wanted to believe, I didn't even require proofs, just a minimum threshold of acceptability. Sadly, this book should have been marketed as fiction. So shame on you, JVP, for taking advantage of people's grief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guess Who Came to Visit?, June 15, 2008
Al (California) - See all my reviews
My Mother passed away when I was ten (never saying "Goodbye") and over the last 49 years I have wanted to make a connection, but never knew how. While reading "Ghosts Among Us", I asked my Mother to give me a sign that she was with me. I told her that I would be aware of the sign or signs....well.....she has sent me many signs and I love knowing that she is with me.
"Ghost Among Us" has given me a comfort of death and what is on the other side. If you love The Ghost Whisperer, you will love "Ghost Among Us".

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED THE BOOK :), May 20, 2008
I really enjoyed this book and just finished it. I could sit here for hours and explain many of my favorite points of the book but it would take too long. He is very open,direct,positive and detailed about everything. This book is one of those books where you can pick it up again and re-read you're favorite parts and chapters. I def recomend this book. If you liked this book I def rocomend Mary-Ann-Winkowskis book "Earthbound Spirits" that was an excellent book as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book! A great read! Loved it!, May 23, 2008
James Van Praagh has shown himself to be a great writer. I am an avid reader on all subjects and find only about 20 percent of all books I read are truly page turners. This book is one of those page turners. James Van Praagh seems to be intuitive not only when it comes to ghosts, but also when it comes to the readers next question and he answers those questions. I learned much that other books did not touch upon about the "other side". I now seek out the other books this author has written.
You will enjoy this book, guaranteed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its not just another book about Ghosts, May 31, 2008
I will admit, if you were to search the internet there has been well over 100 books written about Ghosts !! James Van Praagh, has this way about writing, if you know his voice you can hear him recite his stories in this book, the compassion he has for those spirits on the other side, and the technics he shares, about how to be responsible with your Psychic Gifts. Although I do not feel James Van Praagh, shares his stories to gain glory, he shares them because it's about life, yours and mine, And the Spirit world.

Thanks James another top selling book !!

Tuesday Miles

Ghosts Among Us: Uncovering the Truth About the Other Side
Ghosts Among Us: Uncovering the Truth About the Other Side by James Van Praagh (Hardcover - May 13, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01