on March 15, 2010
If you're looking for the story of 'Ghost Stories', here it is. A compelling, comprehensive and greatly informative presentation of the narrative concerning the other side throughout human history. The author presents recorded encounters between the living and the dead from the Classical through to the modern era noting the influence of both religious and philosophical movements upon the average person's means of filtering a paranormal event.

Contents

The Ancient World: Mapping the Afterlife, Calling up the Dead

The Middle Ages: Piteous Revenants, Necromantic Spirits, and Vampires

Early Modern Ghosts: Persistent Appearances, Stage Phantoms, and Poltergeists

The Seventeenth Century: Bolstering Religions, Partnering Witchcraft

The Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries: Unnerving the Public, Intriguing Science, Photographing Spirits

The Twentieth Century: Manufacturing Ghosts on an Industrial Scale

Included are 20 b&w images. The living's perception of the dead is engagingly brought forth through the anecdotal and the analytical. A rich and rewarding read.
on June 11, 2013
With The Haunted, by Owen Davies, this work is a masterpice to arrange a serious and fully investigation about the phenomenon of paranormal and ghostlore. The prose is fluent and catch the attemption of reader inmediately. Perhaps the plates, photos, illustrations, that is, the visual part, is the lack or fault in this superb masterpiece. I'm History and Art teacher in high school, and in my freetime, freelance investigator about ghostlore, specially White Ladies, a theme I'm researching in order to release a book about it. Ghost: A History of Phantoms, Ghouls, and Other Spirit of the Dead is, for a fast and complete first conctact with the matter, highly recommended, according to my mind. I give like teacher a 9 rating (if this were an exam) for P.G. Maxwell-Stuart and Owen Davies, and I give my piece of advice both to beginner and scholar reader: after attaking this book, begin The Haunted by Davies. He/she won't be dissapointed. That's all. A great salute to all personal and customer of amazon.

PD: My apologizes for my awful english. I'm spanish and I've tried to do my best.
on January 4, 2010
maxwell-stuart appears to be a well-published researcher in the field of occult and spiritualism. this is the first book i have read of his, and liked the way the book is layed out. chapter headings go from ancient times to the twentieth century, giving examples of the beliefs in ghosts and their origins in each respective century. the books biased is heavily into theology, mostly discussing ghosts from a christian/protestant viewpoint. the ghost stories are culled from religious scribes. unfortunately, i didn't find anything really worthwhile and informative in this book. there are some nice illustrations in the book though. ghosts appear to be mediators between the past and present. just like marley's ghosts in the christmas carol.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations