5.0 out of 5 stars Great book about a fascinating country
This is a great journalistic account of the social and political changes that have transformed Spain up to the present day. Tremlett discusses the country's past and present in fairly equal measure. He begins by looking at the legacies of the Spanish Civil War, discussing how only in the past decade has the full scale of the atrocities that took place come to light. He...
Published on May 18, 2007 by Brandon Wilkening

3.0 out of 5 stars A Pale Secret
A liberal British newspaper reporter's hit and miss attempt at a book explaining Spain (his nearly adopted country) to us outsiders. Some hits (like how modern Spain handles the dark legacy of Franco) are offset by a number of misses.

Historical facts, or guesses as to historical facts, get thrown in as space fillers; events that catch Mr. Tremlett's fancy are...
Published on May 21, 2007 by Christian Schlect

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting modern history, February 25, 2014
Intruiging research and narration of a country coming out of denial of it's recent past. It is also an entertaining travel book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, November 1, 2013
This review is from: Ghosts of Spain: Travels Through Spain and Its Silent Past (Paperback)
I read this book while touring Spain. I wish that I had read it before beginning the tour, but it found it to be exceptionally well written, very balanced, and wonderfully educational. I gave it to our tour guide once I completed reading it. I would recommend this book to anyone that plans to travel to Spain, especially those that will travel within the country. The descriptions of the various regions will appreciate the history of each, the differences, and most importantly, why the Spanish seem to lack a sense of nationalism, and are much more loyal to their region.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting, September 16, 2013
good book. kind of slow at times but i thought it was interesting to learn about events that apply to contemporary spain today.

3.0 out of 5 stars Long-winded, August 18, 2013
In an effort to explain a secretive history, Giles Tremlett seems to repeat himself endlessly in a very long-winded fashion. Even as someone who is enthralled with the history of Iberia, this book was so hard to get through I couldn't even finish. The information he provides is interesting, albeit much of it is something you can find elsewhere; the major issue is his writing style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, July 29, 2013
Great insights into the history of Spain written in English. Excellent writing style. I recommend this book to many of my English speaking friends..

5.0 out of 5 stars Muchas Gracias Senor Tremlett!, July 15, 2013
I read this book about 3 months before a month long trip to Spain with my family (wife and three children -- 14, 11 & 8). I was surprised by two reviews claiming the author repetitive and a leftist sympathizer. I believe neither are the case or on the latter, certainly not evident by the treatment of the subject of the Civil War and its aftermath & repercussions. While not a travelogue, Tremlett does a nice job of covering all regions of Spain through a cultural, political, social and religious lens in a way that is eminently readable and entertaining. Some of the subject matter, particularly the building boom given the control of communities by local mayors, is highly topical given the subsequent collapse of the Spanish economy.

While I'm not a deep Spanish historian, I believe Tremlett provides a well-rounded take on the Civil War, the rule of Franco and separatist causes in the Basque and Catalan regions of Spain. When choosing this book, I did not expect and wasn't looking for a historians view of the Spanish Civil War or Franco's regime, I purchased other books to provide that perspective. I'd highly recommend this book for anyone traveling to Spain or interested in a broad overview of modern Spain.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Travelers to Spain, February 10, 2013
Tremlett writes about Spain in a jounalistic style that makes the traveler want to retrace his experiences. I would say this is a must read for anyone traveling to Spain for the first time or as a returning traveler. It helps the traveler to grasp a better understanding of what makes Spain the exciting country that it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay, January 6, 2013
Got the book before my study abroad semester as recommended by my advisor. Now I have no excuses for not educating myself on Spanish history before my trip. The book's in great condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, July 22, 2012
had to read this before taking a summer class in Spain. Loved the writing style and the depth the author goes into. He covers a variety of topics and engages the reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Spanish Travel, March 26, 2011
I am really enjoying this book. We plan a trip to Spain in two months so I wanted a book that shares the "real Spain" before we travel there. It's exactly what I hoped for.

Ghosts of Spain: Travels Through Spain and Its Silent Past
Ghosts of Spain: Travels Through Spain and Its Silent Past by Giles Tremlett (Paperback - March 4, 2008)
$19.00 $15.16