4.0 out of 5 stars Allright made for tv b flick.
Pretty ok b flick, but Keene is one of horror's best current novelest, would be nice to have some bug budget films to do his fine novels justice.
Published 18 months ago by Jerry H. Crabtree

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I've been looking forward to this movie for a good while now. The book was a favorite of mine, I felt it perfectly combined horror and elements from the movies The Sandlot and Monster Squad. Unfortunately, the movie simply begins to ignore its source material and even ignores its own scenes. The acting is a bit rough around the edges but I can live with that...
Published on January 24, 2013 by 1D8

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, January 24, 2013
This review is from: Ghoul [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)

This movie simply lost the magic from the book. Even without comparing it to the book there's so many things wrong with the movie it's just a huge let down. As I said before, the main monster, the main plot point, the TITLE CHARACTER is nowhere to be found. It's hinted upon and even shown briefly but in the end, it simply does not exist the and the writer/director must have forgotten all about it. That right there is the ultimate slap in the face for someone watching the movie.

It's like being promised a cookie to sit through some boring meeting. You see the cookie plate sitting there but once the meeting concludes the cookies are gone, only to be replaced with rice cakes.

1.0 out of 5 stars MY GOODNESS THIS WAS BAD!, January 14, 2013
This review is from: Ghoul (DVD)
My feelings are pretty much the same as the other two reviewers. Avoid this like it was Death! I don't care if it's only a couple of bucks to rent, save your money. It is atrocious. Bad acting. Bad dialogue. Bad costume and makeup. Bad locales/settings(i.e. fake). Bad directing. Characters you hate. Well, you get the point. This one is a mess and I'm sorry my friend actually rented it. I'm even sorrier we both sat through it. There's bad 80's cheese and then there's this. And this is much worse. This should never have been made. The only good thing was when I hit the power button on the dvd player. We're still really early in the year, but this one already receives my nomination for the Golden Cheese award.

UPDATE:

I'm not sure why all the Brian Keene diehard devotees are voting no on everyones reviews... oh, wait, I know. They think anything that has his name attached to it is pure gold. Well, for all you hardheads that don't believe, then please do go buy the movie and pay full price while I roar with laughter at what a sucker you are. I guess 4 one star reviews just isn't enough to make people believe this is a stinkffest. Some people have to learn the hard way....

2.0 out of 5 stars Great possibility but total let down, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Ghoul (Amazon Instant Video)
I won't say it sucked but, IT SUCKED! The DVD cover is scarier! These boys had issues that were a bit too deep to have me focus on a creepy creature terrorizing the town. In the first place the acting could have been better. Second, the plot about the ghoul was disjointed. Last, the attempt to wind a young male bonding theme around a horror theme was done only once with Stand By Me (King). This should have been either about how these boys helped each other get thru their personal nightmares OR about some kids out to catch a real ghoul. The ending was a let down and predictable but kinda like the end of a Scooby Doo mystery ("if it weren't for those meddling kids!"). Plus I was hoping a better message would have been sent about how the abuse issues could be handled. If I were a kid in similar situation I'd be left not knowing what I might be empowered to do. This has its place on the Sci Fi Channel.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst movies ever made. Bad acting. Horrible all around., January 13, 2013
This review is from: Ghoul (Amazon Instant Video)
I can't believe I spent money renting this. People often say they want their money back, I actually really do want my money back.

Okay, first we have a cast filled with completely unlikable people. I wanted pretty much ALL of them to die. The only people I wanted to live were the ones that died. So that was annoying. The acting was NOT good. Not even almost good.

They put pounds of dirt and make up on people who were just shoveling and doing minor tasks. Pretty much all the parents were abusive in disturbing ways and this is supposed to be a made for TV movie. The abuse was also stupid because they tried to make it WAY overly dramatic and when you couple that with horrible acting it just does not work. The abuse story lines don't even really have a resolution to it. And for some reason when 3 girls are trapped by the ghoul they just have to mention that he "Did things". All 3 of those girls were trapped together under ground and never bothered to try slipping through the giant holes they could have used to get out. And they never bothered kicking out the two thin boards nailed into the dirt keeping them there. They had to wait for a tiny kid to come by and pry the boards lose. The fake decor of the underground was worse than what you'd see in a soap opera.

Things wrong with this movie:
1. The plot
2. The script
3. The cast
4. The acting
5. The directing
6. Being overly dramatic
7. Having situation that don't even play out. Why put them there?
8. Wimpy females
9. Bad costumes and make up
10. Bad sets
11. Killing off the wrong people
12. The ending

Things good with this movie:
1. It eventually ends.

I like campy and cheesy movies. This is not that type. This is just really bad. It's like somebody in college put it together or something. Don't waste your money!

4.0 out of 5 stars Allright made for tv b flick., July 25, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars The Ending, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Ghoul (Amazon Instant Video)
The ending was stupid and confusing. Where did the Ghoul go? That question wasn't answered. It was sad with the children dying in a flashback, but it only made it confusing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ghoul, January 31, 2013
This review is from: Ghoul (DVD)
A small town's secrets have been kept buried beneath Golgotha Cemetery, but three young boys mistakingly unleash it when digging a nearby fort in the coming-of-age Horror film, GHOUL. Adapted from the novel by Brian Keene, GHOUL focuses far more heavily on the inner struggles of its three male protagonists than the subterranean terror lurking beneath the cemetery. In many ways, the ghoul is more of a physical manifestation of the horrors experienced at home than anything else, and in defeating it, the boys learn to free themselves from their inner demons as they progress in to manhood. Unfortunately, the stronger story elements are overshadowed by a lackluster production. Let alone the continuing struggle with pacing, GHOUL is incredibly uneven, pairing the light mood of a childhood drama with the gory trappings of an adult monster movie. GHOUL becomes less accessible to younger audiences due to its darker themes as well, with child abuse and molestation being the true "monsters" of the picture. There is no discernible hero to be found either, and none of the performances stand out enough to elicit an emotional attachment to the characters. Try as it may, GHOUL is unable to dig up any interest in audiences young or old.

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies

2.0 out of 5 stars DVD Review: "Ghoul", January 25, 2013
This review is from: Ghoul (DVD)
As I read the synopsis for "Ghoul," my expectations for a great film that would make me feel nostalgic about my childhood love for monster and action movies began to build up. High expectations aren't always a good thing when going into a film. Unfortunately, that was the case here. I wanted to like it, but something got lost along the way.

Timmy, Doug, and Barry are the best of friends. As if life for three 12-year old boys at the edge of puberty isn't hard enough, things get very tough when they are forced by circumstances to confront the urban legend of a creature which lives underneath their local cemetery. Are there supernatural forces at work or are the disappearances of several local teenagers tied to someone in the town with unknown motives?

I have to hand it to director Gregory M. Wilson and writer William M. Miller. This was made as a low-budget TV-movie for Chiller TV. As far as that goes, it looks great. The creature makeup is genuinely creepy and the sets look good.

They never quite convinced me that I was watching something happening in 1984. The lack of a soundtrack effectively reflecting the era and misplaced pop-culture references were definite hindrances in the process. It didn't help when characters exclaimed, "Eat my shorts" and "Don't have a cow!" These two catchphrases were coined by Bart Simpson in "The Simpsons," which didn't even gain real popularity until late 1989.

"Ghoul" boasts at least two veteran actors which are familiar to children of the 1980s. Barry Corbin portrays Timmy's grandfather. He was a supporting actor in several movies and TV shows from the decade like "WarGames," "Dallas," and "Critters 2." I'm sure tons of boys who were teenagers at the time will identify with my crush on Catherine Mary Stewart. I was captivated by her in such films as "The Last Starfighter," "Weekend at Bernie's," and "Night of the Comet." She plays Timmy's mother and adds a bit more legitimacy to the movie.

One thing that gave me a sense of appreciation for "Ghoul" was the Behind-the-Scenes featurette. It did a great job of highlighting the hard work and conviction poured into the movie. It's hard to completely hate on something that someone put so much effort into. I have a deep respect for the set builders and makeup artists.

"Ghoul" tries very hard to capture the magic of films like "Super 8," "The Goonies," and "The Monster Squad." It's a shame it didn't accomplish what it set out to do successfully. Viewers who aren't looking for a walk down memory lane may enjoy this, but filmmakers missed their target market in my opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars One bad movie, January 16, 2013
This review is from: Ghoul (DVD)
Brian Keene Finaly gets movie made based on one of his better books I cant believe he let them put his name on this piece of garbage

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother, January 13, 2013
This review is from: Ghoul (Amazon Instant Video)
Absolutely dumb do not waste your time or thought on this movie. It has a stupid plot, poor acting and worse ending. I am now dumber for watching it.

Ghoul
Ghoul by Gregory M. Wilson (DVD - 2013)
$14.98 $8.85