5.0 out of 5 stars Aamir Khan (from "Lagaan"), and Rani Mukherjee together on this Bollywood classic, November 6, 2007
Rykre "The Rogue Scholar" (of the vast Western Dystopian Wasteland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghulam (DVD)
This is one of those Bollywood stories that won't make you feel like it's too long and too musical. The story is simple to follow, even though you still have to read sub-titles if you're English. And what's really nice is that the song videos are really very pleasant, and kinda sexy.

Rani Mukherji (Mukherjee), is as beautiful and as sexy as ever. I could just watch these music videos over and over because I like the songs and Rani's seductive behavior. To me, Rani Mukherji is the most beautiful actress in the world. But, from India, Aishwarya Rai is probably the most famous. If more of Bollywood's famous female Indian stars came to America, Hollywood would want to start to forget about many of today's aging actresses trying to stay alive.

I would recommend that you rent "Ghulam" first. If you like it, check out other Bollywood films. If you like movies just for the sake of seeing beautiful people, then definitely check out Bollywood films.

But, I generally watch a Bollywood film because I love to watch good looking people on film. A good story is only secondary as my intention to be entertained.

If you an English speaking American, and are new to Bollywood films, let me give you a breakdown of how I interpret and ingest the Bollywood experience:

First of all, you will most always be reading English subtitles.
The average Bollywood film is about 3 hours long.
Bollywood films are very colorful. All their beautiful fashion, and colorful dance floors. In High Definition, just the sceneries alone make you appreciate what High Definition is all about.
About 30 percent of the film will be music videos (with Yash Raj films, it's more like about 45 percent). I personally wish there were less music videos if the movie is already over three hours long.
About 30 percent of most Bollywood films have some rather silly, really unfunny, and downright annoying comedy scenes (which is usually in the first half of the film), then the film will start to become more serious, as it moves along.
One of the main reasons why you will watch a Bollywood film, is because you already chose to fall in love with one of their many beautiful actresses, or handsome actors. (I personally try to see all Rani Mukherji films, and Shah Rukh Khan is the one actor known to be one of the biggest box office sellers of Bollywood.)

So, I guess I can honestly say that I have about 10 Blu-Ray Bollywood films which about 7 of them are Yash Raj releases. Thouugh I have about 100 Bollywood films on DVD, all I really care to get on Blu-Ray now is "Lagaan" which was the first Bollywood film that I saw about 10 years ago. And perhaps "Mann" with Aamir Khan, and "Rangeela" which stars the enchanting Urmila Matondkar. Oh, and I guess it would be truly appreciated if "Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai" starring Amisha Patel and Hrithik Roshan would ever be released in High Definition Blu-Ray. The scenes in India and New Zealand were all just so beautiful on the screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reformation and rebirth, May 6, 2010
This review is from: Ghulam (DVD)
A great Bollywood movie. I can identify with most of the characters; characters that I dealt with during my growing up in Mumbai: The lonely Rani Mukherjee who loves a man much lower in socio-economic status, the impressionable AMir Khan who is a pawn in the hands of teh mafia, the social worker who fights against injustice.
Finally its about reformation and rebirth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely 5 stars, March 8, 2012
This review is from: Ghulam (DVD)
I really enjoyed this story! I keep watching it over and over again. Aamir Khan gives a fine performance as a street wise boxer.I enjoyed the songs too. Great entertainment !

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghulam, December 29, 2011
Item as described, arrived in timely manner, and in gooAmazond condition. Purchase all my bollywood movies through Amazon haven't had a bad experience yet.

Ghulam
Ghulam by Vikram Bhatt? (DVD - 2006)
$8.99