Fall of Giants Kindle price higher than hardcover???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 147 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 16, 2010 6:42:34 PM PDT
Labatt says:
How can this be right??? I still remember the original promises of "most books for $9.99 and under". You're hard pressed to find a new release these days for under $12 let alone under $10. No printing costs, no stocking costs, no issue with cut price overstock, etc. Yet this book costs MORE than the hardcover version?????????

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 5:43:40 PM PDT
G.G. says:
My reaction exactly. This was one of the main draws of the Kindle - the reduced price of bestsellers, which is to be expected considering the lack of publishing costs. What's up, Amazon?

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 9:40:14 PM PDT
I was looking forward to this book after seeing Ken Follett interviewed on TV tonight. But, it costs more for the Kindle edition than for the hardcover? This is ludicrous. When will publishers realize that they are shooting themselves in the foot with this kind of crap. E books are here to stay and publishers are penalizing readers. Guess I'll be getting this one at the library. I WILL NOT pay $19.99 for it!

Posted on Aug 20, 2010 5:24:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2010 5:25:21 AM PDT
911jason says:
Guess I'll go buy 7 or 8 indie books @ $2.99/each or less for the price of this one book... maybe I'll eventually get it at the used bookstore or the library to make sure the publisher gets none of my money since they obviously despise me so much as a Kindle owner.

Posted on Aug 20, 2010 8:28:09 AM PDT
@911jason - I agree! I've turned to the indies instead of the overpriced "popular" books, too, and I've found myself less and less interested in the "big names" anymore. I still read a few - I want to read this one - but I'll be getting it from the library or a used bookstore. At least they appreciate my money.

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 1:06:28 PM PDT
RJ Davis says:
I know! The 19.99 price for a kindle version is way out of line. Someone is making a lot of money off high priced kindle
books. I also will go to the library.

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 7:34:23 PM PDT
Skydog says:
Don't blame Amazon! The Agency Model pricing of the Big 5 (thanks in part to Steve Jobs) is to blame for the ludicrous pricing structure that was mandated beginning last April. The level of arrogance and elitism of the five big publishing houses is unbelievable and I refuse to give them one penny of my money. Penguin is one of the worst of the five with their insane pricing.

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 4:31:26 AM PDT
I was stunned to see the Kindle price higher than the hardcover price for Fall of Giants. I absolutely refuse to pay more than the $9.99 promised price for Kindle books. Looks like I am being punished for being an "early adopter" having purchased the original Kindle. I was considering an upgrade to the newer Kindle, but after seeing the marketing strategy I have changed my mind.

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 3:12:11 PM PDT
I won't be buying this either!!! $9.99 and I would have thought about buying, but at this price - never!! I'll just wait until the library gets it or the hardback is in the sale bin at the bookshop. Plenty more to read in the meantime.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 7:53:16 AM PDT
It's interesting how Amazon blames the pricing of Kindle books as "price set by the publisher" yet the hard back version is priced at $36.00 by the publisher, yet Amazon can sell it for $19.40, cheaper than the Kindle version that has almost ZERO hard costs of production, warehousing, and distribution. This smacks of collusion and price fixing for Kindle users.

I refuse to buy any Kindle book over $7.99 from Amazon. There are plenty of other ebook sellers with Kindle formats out there plus loads of other books for less.

DON'T LET YOURSELF GET GOUGED BY AMAZON FOR AN OVERPRICED E-BOOK!!!!

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 3:00:54 PM PDT
Ken Stites says:
Sorry Mr. Follett, for as much as I love your writing, I refuse to play more for an e-book than for that of a hardbound book. This, like all the other readers here have stated, does not make any sense.

Posted on Aug 29, 2010 7:47:42 PM PDT
I sinceerely feel Amazon is being totally unfair. I purchased the Kindle and initially loved it. Now with the tremendous drop in price and the outrageous increase in purchase price of books I feel I have been cheated and taken. I only wish I could return the Kindle even though I love the concept.
Louise Sbordone

Posted on Aug 29, 2010 7:47:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 29, 2010 7:49:14 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 10:55:14 AM PDT
Totally agree. I'm already on the wait list for it with our local library....so I have to wait an extra month. Plenty of other great and cheaper stuff on my kindle.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 10:57:45 AM PDT
Agree with above comments...I will not pay this much for an e-book, especially one I cannot share with fellow book lovers

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 10:20:42 AM PDT
Prices of ebooks are not controlled by Amazon or B&N or Apple for that matter. Thanks to the Agency model that the big 5 publishers support, sellers are mandated to sell at this price.
The hardcover pricing is set by seller since they buy it for a fixed price from the publisher. How they price it is then their decision.
Penguin has been the biggest offender in the pricing scam with insane prices on all stores but for the Apple iBook store.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 6:21:51 AM PDT
J. Stewart says:
Austin you need to do some reading on this subject in the mainstream press. It is widely reported and well known that Amazon has no choice on this. Before the iPad and iBookstore came out, Amazon had been pressuring publishers to accept the $9.99 cap. Amazon was even willing to take a loss on each e-copy sold. They agreed to pay the publishers the same price as the hardcover books for each copy sold, which is about 50% of the list price for the hardcover. So in many cases they were paying more than they were selling it for. But the publishers hated this because they believed it would seriously erode hardcover sales so while it is true that they make more on the e-copies that model breaks down if they get less revenue overall. The publishers were having the begrudgingly accept it until Steve Jobs gave them an alternative model and allowed them to set their own prices on his Apple platform -- ironically exactly the opposite of what he did with music on iTunes, but his primary goal was disrupting Amazon in this case. Amazon tried to hold out and even briefly banned selling a couple of publishers books but they had to give in under the threat of anti-trade prosecution, so they were forced to give the publishers the "option" of the "agency" model Apple was using which lets the publishers set their own price. Ironically Amazon makes more money on this model, even though they don't support it. That is when they started publishing the note about how the price was set by the publisher.

It's fine to be outraged by the pricing but in this particular case Amazon really is on the side of the angels. They fought the good fight and the backward, lame publishing industry is the bad guy here. Amazon had leverage until Apple came along and Jobs was only too happy to get in bed with the loser publishers as a way of sticking it to Amazon. So blame Steve Jobs.

You don't have to believe me. Google the news on this from a few months back. New York Times, Wall Street Journal, take your pick...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 6:27:01 AM PDT
J. Stewart says:
Amazon has nothing to do with it. They literally fought this pricing and took losses refusing to even sell the hard and softcover versions from the publishers until they were threatened with federal prosecution for anti-trade practices. This is the publishing industry pulling a music industry from 15 years ago, refusing to adapt their model to a changing reality. They are a bunch of luddites.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 7:22:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2010 7:23:40 AM PDT
Wordjunky says:
I understand the "ain't it awful" tone of this thread, but the real question is "how can the consumer influence the pricing?" Pre-Kindle I generally would just wait until a title came out in paperback and take advantage of the cheaper publishing medium and second tier pricing. With the Kindle I figured I would pay heavy up front for the device with the opportunity to get a break on prices for new releases. Apparently it no longer works like that.

I don't have a hard limit, like $9.99, for buying a Kindle book, but I do insist on getting a price break that reflects the difference in cost and value of a DRM limited e-book. There are no dead trees to be processed, no trucks to be filled with books and diesel fuel, and no inventory costs for Kindle books. But also I cannot pass a Kindle book on to a friend, put it in a garage sale, trade it in to a used book store, or just display it on a bookshelf as an example of my good taste(!). I will probably read The Century Trilogy, but I will absolutely NOT buy the Kindle version at a premium to hardback prices.

I wonder if the "new" pricing of the latest release will have an effect, either up or down. On the one hand Amazon will sell lots more -e.g. at $139 I can consider it as a gift for family members - thus giving them more negotiating clout. On the other hand people who are buying a more affordable device may not see the "break even" idea of cheaper e-books as so important.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 4:50:42 AM PDT
Just Jane says:
I agree! There is no way I will pay $20 for a book I can't even share with a friend or donate to charity when I'm done reading it. It's the library waiting list for me!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 4:53:18 AM PDT
Just Jane says:
I believe you that it isn't Amazon's fault, but we still don't have to buy it!

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 9:32:10 AM PDT
CJH Fl says:
It's not Amazon but the publisher that sets e-book prices. If I save $4-5 on the Kindle edition I have no sqwauk but for an e-book to be priced higher than the hardcover is ridiculous. I loved Follets "Pillar of the Earth" (ranks with Michener's "The Source" as my all time favorites) but I'll pass on this until the publisher comes to his senses. He's not loosing 1 sale here, as this is a trilogy he's loosing all 3. Boycott the e-book until the price is $15 or less. We as a group can stop this price gouging. Amazon should forward our position to the publisher. We are their customers and loyalty works both ways.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 9:50:02 AM PDT
CJH Fl says:
You can share Kindle books. Download to computer and send as an attachment in email. It works, I've done it. Share the cost with a friend. Also check newsgroups for e-books with .mobi format.

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 7:30:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2010 7:31:13 PM PDT
Ladyslott says:
Helll will freeZe over before I pay more for an ebook than a physical book. Hello library, I will be there soon.

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 12:44:36 PM PDT
Bridget Ruth says:
I won't be buying the book at this price. It will go down soon enough. And I'm fine with people not paying more than they think a book is worth, be it $9.99 or $5. But would you please 1)Stop blaming Amazon directly and place it where it belongs, at the feet of the publishers and 2)Stop calling it the "$9.99 promise". As I recall when I purchase my Kindle over a year ago, the marketing was that Kindle had a large library (at the time something like over 300,000, though I am sure it is quite larger by now), with many New York Times Bestsellers priced at $9.99 or less. They are not going back on a promise here, the circumstances, however, have changed. With the rhetoric being currently used, it makes it seem like Amazon is trying to trick consumers with the promised-land of cheap books only to rip the rug out from under them once they purchase the Kindle. This isn't true and it is rather aggravating when people argue that way. There are too many free books on Kindle to count, and more than enough under 10 bucks to keep one occupied while waiting for the price on a new release to go down. Plus all of the other sources for free ebooks (try Project Gutenberg, if the author died prior to 1923 you can probably find the book). Yes it's horrible that the publisher is charging so much for an ebook, I agree, but that doesn't give you the right to attack Amazon.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  82
Total posts:  147
Initial post:  Aug 16, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy) by Ken Follett (Audio CD - September 28, 2010)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (3,683)