- File Size: 501 KB
- Print Length: 226 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publication Date: January 16, 2014
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B003UHVVBC
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #35,145 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$8.99|
Save $6.00 (67%)
Giants (Lost Civilizations: 1) Kindle Edition
|Length: 226 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
Matchbook Price: $0.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
- Book 1 of 7 in Lost Civilizations (7 Book Series)
Limited time only: $2.99 select science fiction and fantasy titles
Grace of Kings, the first book in Ken Liu's epic fantasy series - The Dandelion Dynasty, now $2.99 on Kindle through February 28. See more
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
I was born in Canada and remember as a small boy crawling in my snow-fort. I closed my eyes, and when I tried to open them, they were frozen shut. I didn't panic, but wiped away the ice crystals, unglued my eyes and kept on building my tunnel. Those were great days! I moved to Central California before seventh grade and couldn't believe I lived in a land where oranges grew on trees and you could pick grapes from the vine.
I used to wonder what I wanted to do with my life, what kind of work specifically. I was miserable not knowing and bordering on desperate. Then one day a friend gave me his typewriter. I began working on a novel. A different person told me it was much easier on a computer, so I bought one and began getting up at 4:30 A.M. each morning before work, writing for three hours. My eyes were unglued once again as the pang of misery left my gut. I knew exactly what I wanted to do: write. So now that's what I do, I write, and write, and write, and I love it.
Amazon Author Rankbeta(What's this?)
Top Customer Reviews
I am still a little surprised at the high quality for an e-book only and am waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Now, the negative. I'm not a snob when it comes to writing, and I'm under no illusion that I could do any better, but sometimes this book was just hard to read. The writing just didn't flow, the word choices were occasionally very odd, and the character development wasn't what I hoped.
Overall, this is a great concept that feels anticlimactic in the execution. When we finished this book, we debated whether we should buy the second book and ultimately decided that we really didn't feel like reading anymore, at least for now. Maybe we will come back to it later, but we just aren't compelled by the writing.
At first, I felt that it was just an easy read with open characters and a simple plot, but totally worth the price that was paid, but after delving deeper into the book, I became very interested in what would happen next. Suffice it to say, I ending up quickly killing the entire series of seven books in less than a week.
Vaughn is a unique writer, builds the character well, doesn't spend too much time on useless details which I appreciate(*the wind made the leaves flutter and dance with a sensuousness of a monkey farting*)and at the end of the series, asked us, the readers, how we would like the series to continue.
I can't say that I am interested in reading any of his other books about space, but I really did enjoy his Lost Civilizations Series!
The description of the Shining Ones, the Bene Elohim, the first born, and the Nephilim were all plausible, as were the tablecloths and pterodactyls.
A great series in the making, even if falling short in a few details.
The biggest problem I had? I would be reading and, honestly, get so bored with it that I forgot what I was reading about. Don't let the sample fool you. The opening scene is pretty good and will hook you. It just drops off the cliff from there. (No pun intended)
I read a later writing from Heppner titled Sword of Carthage and I can honestly say that his writing does get better.
The writing is a bit erratic as is the story line. The story is told in bursts, giving us the feeling that we are not reading it, but
Iistening to it, around a fire, as told by a clan elder or a shaman. It feels more told, than read, and told in an 'ancient' mode
I cannot put it in another way; it was the way I absorbed this book.
If it was Vaughn Heppner's intention, it was superbly achieved; if.....
I will, as a matter of course, read the next books in the series. Who knows, I might add some stars.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Vaughn has found an interesting genre: tales of heroic struggle by God-fearing humans struggling in His name against evil creatures described in Genesis 6, the bene elohim and... Read morePublished 5 days ago by Voracious Veraciousness
VH has written a novel of two worlds interfering with each other. The story line is excellent. To be honest it was confusing at first . Read morePublished 21 days ago by Amazon Customer
If you like fantasy with a Lord of the Rings feel with powerful creatures, large scale threats, and ancient myths check out Lost Civilizations series by Vaughn Heppner. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Daniel
I thought it was ok but did not feel the characters on a believable level as built up as normal. I doubt I will be reading on. Not a bad book just not great.Published 3 months ago by S. Wozniak
I had noted some Biblical references in some previous series by Heppner. Well written and integrated into the narrative. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Rick Ford
What an imaginative mind to get the stories in these books, and sprinkled with lessons from the bible incredible storyPublished 5 months ago by Teri Orthwein
Vaughn Heppner has written another great book. The way he meshes Biblical truths and tails is what makes this such a great read. I have read all of his sci-fi series.Published 9 months ago by marim
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Fantasy
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Historical
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Myths & Legends > Greek & Roman
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Myths & Legends > Norse & Viking
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Superheroes
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Fiction > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Metaphysical & Visionary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Myths & Legends > Greek & Roman
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Myths & Legends > Norse & Viking
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Superhero
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery