4.0 out of 5 stars Enough

Published on September 14, 2004 by T. Ittig

4.0 out of 5 stars Enough, October 22, 2004
MiseryCreek (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gibby Haynes & His Problem (Audio CD)
Enough with the Butthole Surfers comparisons. I suppose it's inevitable, given Gibby's pedigree, but please - when held up to the inspired mayhem and relentless avant-gardeism of the Butthole's finest work (if you think I'm talking about anything released after 1988, you're in the wrong class - quit reading this, go to the record store, and buy the good stuff) any comparison is simply ridiculous.

This is a new project, and although King Coffey and Paul Leary made contributions, they were not part of the conceptualization. Gibby and his new team of Austin veterans have crafted a listenable album of psychedelic pop songs that, to my ears, bears little resemblance to any of their former projects. To me, this is to be commended - any one of these guys could have allowed themselves to coast on their reputations and crank out the same thing year after year. Instead they did something new, and it sounds pretty damn good. You want the Butthole Surfers? Go listen to Locust Abortion Technician. Want to hear what Gibby's up to now? Buy this record.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accept this album for what it is., April 1, 2006
This review is from: Gibby Haynes & His Problem (Audio CD)
I did not know what to expect when I put this CD into my computer. Would Gibby return to Locust Abortian Technician style experimentation or would he continue in the more straight ahead (though with trademark deviations from the norm) indie rock tradition of more recent Butthole Surfers offerings like Independant Worm Saloon or Electric Larryland? The answer is the latter. This is a pretty straight ahead rock and roll offering and its mainly Gibby's off the wall lyrics that provide the strongest link with the past.
That said, I still love this album. Accept it for what it its, not what particular Buttholes era you want it to hark back to. I personally like the tracks that are obvious homages to 60's psychedelia and garage pop the best... like "Superman" and "Letter." "Kaiser" is great for its lyric, a repeated monologue suggestive of a sadomasochistic gay speed freak's intreaty to his boyfriend to accompany him to Los Angeles on a quixotic, incontinent quest for fame.... "I'll be the Kaiser, You'll wear the diapers, We will be famous, In California" etc etc...
I have been a [...]Surfers fan since hearing Locust Abortion Technician back in the 80s, and I have always been happy to go wherever these mutant Texan genii (if only George W. Bush were more like them) will take me, whether its Sabbath-esque heavy metal or something much more bizarre. They are also one of the best live acts I have seen. So if Gibby, Paul Leary or anybody else involved in the Buttholes puts out a side project or solo effort, it will command my attention.

4.0 out of 5 stars solid record, October 12, 2004
This review is from: Gibby Haynes & His Problem (Audio CD)
Don't know what all the fuss is about. I've read several bad reviews of this album. These songs are really catchy. Kaiser, Stop Foolin, Letter, I Need Some Help,Dream Machine and ESPECIALLY 15,000 are all really great songs. I reccommend this to anyone with an appreciation for something catchy and kinda hard to wrap your brain around. Quit your whining, this is a great record, but then again I liked "The Weird Revolution", so what do I know?

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I Thought!, September 4, 2004
This review is from: Gibby Haynes & His Problem (Audio CD)
First of all, this should have been the follow-up to the Butthole Surfers "Electric Larryland" CD and not that horrific "Weird Revolution" which probably signaled the end of a once great band. That being said, I approached this CD with low expectations. Turns out, I actually enjoyed it. Gibby pretty much dispenses with the offensive lyrics (except "Redneck Sex"), and uses his famed "Gibbytronix" on only a handful of tunes. All the songs flow nicely from one to another with the exception of the 8 minute freakout "I need some help".

I doubt if this will garner any new fans (this CD is pretty tame judging by todays standards) however, its a very listenable CD and worthy of adding to ones musical library if you're a fan of Ween or The Flaming Lips.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 stars--, January 6, 2005
This review is from: Gibby Haynes & His Problem (Audio CD)
Not intense and arty as the best B Surfers, but it is a fun listen. Good music to drive to. A couple songs sound like pop songs from the sixties but sung by an alchie (the song LETTER would be a good example). On first listen I didn't think much of the cd, it wasn't as perverse as I hoped it would be, but on second listen I started hearing the songs for the simple fun weirdness they do have.

5.0 out of 5 stars whoa there fella, September 18, 2013
This review is from: Gibby Haynes & His Problem (Audio CD)
This disc is great Its Gibby at his finest and I really like the pictures inside.His band is great.I would buy this disc if im a Butthole Surfers fan fo sure

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, April 1, 2009
This review is from: Gibby Haynes & His Problem (Audio CD)
This has all the odd sense you would expect from the Butthole Surfers frontman without going too bizarre. More accessible than some B.S. albums as far as song writing and musical flow. Good groove with great lyrics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem? What Problem?, September 24, 2009
This review is from: Gibby Haynes & His Problem (Audio CD)
I heard somewhere that Gibby's current dog is named Donut. I'm pretty certain one of his previous pooches went by Mr. Cigar. Something, huh? "Superman has killer weed, he gets it from Dan Rather." That's a lyric fragment from track three here that is and if it don't cause you to grab yourself mentally by the head and execute a quick joyous brainshake well then the rest of this album sure is wasted on you. Should be the other way round of course but some people, purists and so forth, only ever take one thing the one way. Phui I quote to all that jazz. Slap happy spliffy and loony larky in any case is this solo debut by Mister Haynes--as lyrically and sonically crunchy a platitude as I've fired up in a very long time. Rock solidly produced too for the express purpose of having the fark continually cranked out of it at the very highest volume. Which sort of reminds me. Zoyd Wheeler, God bless him, owns a dog named Desmond. Comes back right at the end of Vineland, after a lengthy absence, with a face full of blue-jay feathers. A good dog. Two days. A good name.

2.0 out of 5 stars His problem is that this album isn't very good, September 14, 2004
T. Ittig (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gibby Haynes & His Problem (Audio CD)
Gibby seems to mean well with this album... It is a return to guitar rock after the Buttholes last album, which was bogged down somewhat with too much electronics. There are even some moments where the guitar really gets going and I am reminded of some of Paul Leary's finest work. Unfortunately, after 4 or 5 listens, I still can't recall any of the melodies. "Jet Fighter" from the last Buttholes album is better than anything you'll find here. It's pretty tame and forgettable. The production sounds a little too clean. And as for the lyrics... Superman gets really good weed? It's a long way from "I saw an x-ray of a girl passing gas". It's not bad... It just isn't very good.

Gibby Haynes & His Problem
Gibby Haynes & His Problem by Gibby Haynes (Audio CD - 2004)
Rate and Discover Movies