‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 29 Years Of Playing, And I'm In Love Again, November 18, 2010
This review is from: Gibson Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar, Worn Brown Satin (Electronics)
I recently picked up a Faded/Worn Brown Les Paul. I was tempted to gran an Epiphone LP Custom, as they are initially great values for the features and price, but I wanted to support an American manufacturer directly. If I ever was forced to sell this LP, it would actually retain value instead of dropping in price like a 1976 Gremlin.

It was in like new condition, just like when it rolled off of the factory floor on September 29, 2010, just 3 weeks ago. Someone must have bought it, and went back the next day for the LP Custom for 2K more. That was the saleman's story, and I believe it. Their loss, my gain. I'm not complaining. I feel kind of like I stole it, but my credit card statement says I did indeed pay.

The cons:

It's not flashy to look at, it doesn't have a wonderful finish, just plain old dull brown. That's one of the few shortcomings I can think of, and that can be addressed with lacquer later if I so choose.

One other thing I have to nitpick about is the factory choice of setting it up with a horrendous set of .10-.46 strings. Awful. I know that's a personal preference, but thought I'd throw it out there. There was no "punch" in them at all. I just knew there was magic waiting to come out of this guitar though, so I restrung it with a new set of Elixir .009's, re-set the intonation, and was off lost in riff land for a few hours the first night I had it.

The soft gig bag it came with is a right POS, and I wouldn't keep my 1983 Hondo in it, much less this beauty. Near non existent padding, and it feels and looks horrendously cheap. This piece of Gibson treasure is immediately going in a spare hard shell case I have leftover from another long sold guitar.

The Pros:

The fit and finish of every single seam, joint, screw, and inlay, is FLAWLESS.

The body is chambered, which reduces the weight significantly, and if you've ever stood for a few hours with an LP hanging off of your shoulder, you'll appreciate that immediately. I can remember many afternoons and nights patently miserable after a few hours of having nearly 9 lbs. strung across my shoulders. Problem solved.

The satin finish on the neck does lend a wonderful slickness to the back side of it. Again, with some of my other guitars, they get sticky after a few hours of playing. Not this one. It feels smooth as silk after even hours of play.

The tone that pours out of the 490R and 498T Alnico II humbuckers is pure aural gold. It reminded me immediately of my 1976 Gibson Explorer that I {sorrowfully} sold when I had my first son in 1992. It is rich, cutting, and lends itself to almost any style that I play, from blues standards, to 70's classics, to 80's hair metal, and to today's alternative music. It handles it all with absolute aplomb.

I don't see this new love affair ending anytime soon, as it is inspiring me to tackle musical projects with renewed determination again, even after almost 30 years.

Well done, Gibson, well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, excellent guitar, June 10, 2010
Let me first say I have played for many years, with a band that mostly records, but plays out a handful of times per year. My main gear is a marshall tube combo, some boutique pedals and an early 80's american tele.

I was intrigued by the gibson les paul sound so after along search I bought a used 01 pewter studio. I was drawn to its heft and playability. Something was not right, after months of playing it I realized the pickups were hotter than I wanted. Before I bought this pewter studio, I had tried out a lot of guitars, and played a few worn mahogany les pauls, but I was always repelled by the lack of finish, the frets were rough, the neck was sticky, it was generally not-player friendly like the nicer rare studio was...

but I happened to be in guitar center trading in an amp i din't want when I played a used vintage worn brown les paul and fell in love; the pickups are warm as hell, the neck was shiny and smooth, the frets were perfect; I realized all it needed before was breaking in! I love the guitar, especially the neck pick up, which can be very bassy if you are not careful, but has a sweet singing tone for solos- and is worth the price.

If you want a nice les paul, and you don't want to fork over 2k plus for a standard or goldtop with p90s, skip the studio and go for one of these worn models- they use essentially the same materials, and all the savings come from wood choices associated with cosmetics and extensive finishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable, REAL Les Paul!, April 19, 2011
Blake C. (Shreveport, LA) - See all my reviews
I am very pleased with Gibson's effort to produce more affordable guitars in recent years. I have owned a Gibson Les Paul Special Faded for about five years, and it has been a very tough and decent guitar. However, without the carved top, it lacked some of the authentic Les Paul sound. I pored through tons of videos and reviews prior to buying this Studio model; making sure that I wasn't essentially buying a fancier version of the guitar I already have. For about the same price as I paid for the Special Faded, the Studio Faded went beyond my expectations. The chambered body gives the Studio Faded wonderful sustain and resonance, as well as making it a fairly light Les Paul (which are not famous for being lightweight). The Burstbucker Pro pickups are a little less hot than the 490R and 498T that come in the nonfaded Studios; giving a more vintage sound. If you are one of those who is chasing that '59 Les Paul sound on a budget, this axe is your best bet. While it may not sound identical to your favorite Jimmy Page riff or Joe Perry Solo, the tone of this guitar will easily improve your attempts. The satin faded nitro cellulose finish is really nice with the added benefits of making it both cheaper and less of a headache to keep clean. No unbecoming smudge marks will be seen, and if it is anything like my Special Faded, the guitar will relic naturally over time where you make the most contact with it; rubbing down the stain and revealing the wood. So, in essence, there is a possibility that if you play this axe hard for a few years, it will look truly vintage if your into that look. This guitar is practically a steal at $800. I've owned a handful of Fender Strats, Epiphone Les Pauls & Sgs, and no matter how cheap (or free) I have gotten a guitar for, this is by far the best value in my opinion. Give it go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, May 18, 2011
Got it, have played it for an hour each night. Marvelous! Sonic perfection. I looked at a lot of $500 used guitars and wasn't happy. I figured it out and pulled the trigger.
Such a great guitar for a nice price. Free shipping. I would do it all again in a minute.
The line 6 amp I also ordered has pushed the fun way up. What a great tool.
I did a lot of research and wanted quality over finish aesthetics.This was the solution. The simple brown looks perfect and masculine.
A guitar for the rest of my life. I ordered the hard case too. Very nice.
This is the most beautiful thing I own. The sound literally makes me smile.

When you open the box, you will want to pinch yourself to make sure this is real and not a dream.

The guitar and amp showed up the same day, the cord to connect them showed up the next. That was a very hard night.
Get some strap locks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Ax!!!, February 20, 2011
I bought this guitar for its versatility and completeness. When it arrived I immediately ripped open the box and plugged into my Marshall JCM 2000 dsl and 1960a cab. I was blown away how it sounded right out of the box. Needless to say it does need set up by a professional but I was still impressed 100% with this product!!! AWESOME!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Guitar, December 7, 2011
B. Smothers (Fair Oaks Ranch TX) - See all my reviews
Wow is all I can say. I am just a sometimes player and pick up my acoustic every once in a while. I was looking at getting an Epiphone LP on one of the lightning deals and this one came up. Didn't really want to spend this much for a guitar but I have wanted a Gibson LP for 35 years. This arrived yesterday and again wow. The guitar is beautiful. Finish is great and the guitar is really comfortable. Ones I have played before were on the heavy side. I have always played acoustic because I never liked the action on the electrics because my fat fingers always got in the way. I have to say this is probably the easy playing guitar I've ever put in my hands. I purchased a Fender Frontman 212 DSP on craigslist and I kind of got lost in another world when I pluged this in yesterday. Thought I was the second coming of Peter Frampton (for those youngsters who don't know who he is look it up online). Well that was the vision I was having for about 30 seconds. Sounded outstanding.

Anyway, the only thing that comes in the box is the guitar with strings and a gig bag. Nothing else. All the reviews I read before purchasing outside of the ones on Amazon gave this guitar stellar reviews. I have to agree with them all. If you are looking to purchase a nice Gibson Les Paul that is made here in the USA at a good price then the LP Studio may be a bargain for you. This will be passed down to one of my grandkids if I can ever get them interested in playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best guitar ever!, September 24, 2011
Ronald J. Nelson "Ron N" (Chester, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Aside from the guitar being a work of art, it plays and sounds great and has great action! It has great sustain and was perfectly set up right out of the box. And, it's a Gibson, made in the USA! Can't say enough about it! A worthy purchase for those wanting a real Les Paul on a budget!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Guitar, well worth the money!, February 23, 2012
I have been playing guitar for over 4 years, and this is easily the best all around guitar I have owned. As well as owning this guitar, I have an Ibanez Artcore AF93 semi hollow sunburst guitar.
After having my Ibanez AF93 for almost two years, I decided I wanted another electric guitar so I could play a wider variety of music and needed another guitar to suit my needs. Before settling on the Gibson Les Paul Studio, I tried a Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute, Standard, and a Gibson SG standard. I was going to settle on the SG, but when I went to my local guitar store and tried it out, I didn't care for the P-90 pickups. I know alot of guys live and die by the P-90 pickups, but for me they didn't suit the style of music I play. I mostly play metal, alternative rock, and classic rock. So I tried the Gibson Les Paul studio Faded, which had humbuckers instead of p-90's and i found the punch I wanted.
Let me say first of all say this guitar has the warmest tone anyone could ask for. My setup consists of A crate 120 Watt Amp and Digi-tech 355 pedal board. What makes this guitar so great is the wide variety of music it can handle. Turn the rhythm switch on and a little delay and it turns into a fantastic blues guitar. Also, for the heck of it, I tuned it to drop C and switched to a metal distortion an it easily gave me the punch I wanted to play music like: The word alive, We came as Romans, and A day to remember.
The finish on this guitar is simply beautiful. Staying away from a fancy paint and lacker finish saved me at least 400 dollars, and in turn the value is the same, because it has the same sound. The inlay on the guitar is nothing less than you'd expect from Gibson, which is fantastic.
The only adjustments I made to the guitar was the strings. I play with Ernie Ball Beefy slinky slings, compared to the factory strings which were maybe 9 or 10 gauge strings.
Overall, I highly suggest this guitar to anyone who has a passion for playing the guitar and music, you can't go wrong with this guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it SO MUCH., October 26, 2011
Happy Face (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
It sounds amazing.
That's the first and most important detail.

It also looks absolutely beautiful.
Some reviewers apparently don't agree, but to me the beauty of the natural look of wood can't be beat by any sprayed on paint or shiny laquer. I've always felt those finishes looks really gaudy.

I explained to my wife that this guitar was meant to sound incredibly good while trading "looks" in exchange for some cost savings. When we opened the package she thought I had changed my mind, because this one looked so good.

I couldn't be happier.
This guitar calls out to be played.

Now when I'm at work and no one's home instead of worrying that burglars might break in and steal our computers or our camera now I worry that they will break in and steal my GLP!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first electric guitar, January 4, 2011
This is my first electric guitar and I think it's fantastic. I switched from an acoustic because the high action made it too hard for me to play, but I'm already playing my favorite songs on this guitar. It also looks great and will for many years to come.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›