5.0 out of 5 stars Only 21?? Im buying the whole thing.....
***WARNING***
After reading these twenty one chapters you will be forced to buy the whole book! James Patterson is fantastic at writing YA novels, and this is a great example.

Published on January 21, 2011 by Lady Nikitta

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly written, unfulfilling
Maybe I'm just too demanding of a YA book, but I don't get how anyone can enjoy this book. I'm not going to include any spoilers because there's really nothing to give away. I was given this book and about the only good thing I can say is that I'm happy I didn't pay for it.

Published on February 16, 2011 by Dave Bennett

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly written, unfulfilling, February 16, 2011

The authors seem to think that non-sense action with teen angst and pointless cliffhangers is what teens want to read. I was only repeatedly annoyed. The POV shifts so frequently I found myself having to repeatedly go back to the chapter break to find out who is supposedly talking. There is a lot of action, but almost none of it makes sense. The end was bizarre and of course it's not the end.

The magic, such as it is, makes no sense as it is as random as everything else. And what really lost me is that at least three different times a chapter ends with a cliff-hanger where one or more of the characters is about to be killed or maimed, only to have the narrative continue in the next chapter,without ever explaining how they got out of the situation at all. That's just poor writing/editing. When they do bother to explain, half the time it is a lame excuse compared to the peril they were supposedly in. It got to the point where I didn't really care at all what their next peril would be because I knew that a) they would get out, no matter what, and b) it would probably be by some lame or unexplained method.

Bottom line, there is no way I would recommend this book or series to anyone else. There are way too many excellent YA fantasy books out there to waste time on this slop.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed..., April 22, 2011
I never read any of James Patterson's books. My parents (especially my mother which is an occasional avid reader) told me that he is a good author. I mentioned to my mother that he wrote YA novels such as Maximum Ride and other titles. When my mother went to Target, I used some of my own money to buy it (plus it was on sale). When I began reading I became deeply disappointed.
Why was I disappointed?

1.) I didn't realize that I bought the second book and not the first. The covers look too much alike and it confused me (and plus, I didn't see anywhere on the second book where it said "Book Two", so I assumed it was the first book). Either way, from the first few pages of the book I had to take a guess at what the scenario was.
2.) It was poorly written, to be honest. I have read many books where the author tries too hard to appeal to the young adult audience, and this is a perfect example. The words are too simple. When I read a book, I liked to be challenged, even the slightest!

This book shifts in POV too much for me. It can go from Whit's perspective, to Whisty's, to just Third Person Ominescent. Actually, the way it was written it didn't seem like a book. More like a Science-fiction movie or mini series.
The chapters are short. I mean, I don't mind short chapters but I think it is extremely brief to keep the reader guessing. I don't like to keep guessing. I just like it to be straightforward and flowing.
I never even go to the first 30 pages. I told my mother I bought the second book by accident from Target, so I returned it to get my money back. I wanted to exchange it for the first book, but apparently they didn't have it. So, I just bought "Beautiful Creatures" instead since I enjoyed the storyline. It seems like me--as well as the others who read this book--anticipated much more out of the series than they bargained for, especially since it's by "Author of the Year" James Patterson.

2.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you in suspense for no good reason, December 30, 2010
This book will keep you reading until the very end when you are left completely unsatisfied and rightfully annoyed. For one, this book switches character narration more than a kid hopped up on redbull with severe A.D.D. Secondly through the entire book nothing changes. The use of their powers stays roughly the same, The one who is the One continues to vaporize people and fly in with the wind, The "Gift" which (ironically enough named after the book) is never explained, and the constant escape-then-run-away scenes engulf about 60% of the book. A great read with a bad implementation. I for one say this series is not worth reading until it is done. And to be honest if you removed all the useless dribble (like the concert, i mean come on...Matrix-esque anyone?) and put everything important together, this series could have easily been made into one book. Just another way to sell more copies and make more money. At least that is my take on it. There is absolutely nothing in this book remotely resembling a huge twist or surprise or an explanation of anything worth value. I for one was truly disappointed with it. As well as the first.

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally sucks!!!!, January 9, 2011
This book was awful, and I couldn't wait until it Finally ended. Needless to say this is my last book from this series. The book skips around alot without dealing with one plot before continuing on to another one. Same plots as book one (Whit and Wisty need to find their parents, Whit hears his girlfriend talking to him, they get captured, escape, then help others escape) Boring!

5.0 out of 5 stars Only 21?? Im buying the whole thing....., January 21, 2011
***WARNING***

The book continues were the last book left off, and pulls you deeper into the suspenseful life of Whit and Wisty. You begin to learn more about their parent's abduction, and are thrown through a few thousand loopholes as well. If you are a fan of this series, this addition will not disappoint and will leave you with no choice but to buy the whole book!
Prepare to be mystified, shocked, and maybe a little nervous as you read these sampling chapters!

2.0 out of 5 stars Glad it's over...., January 10, 2011
Okay, I liked the first book enough to buy the second. This book, however, was horrible. I really was interested in the plot to begin with but the author just went nowhere fast with this book. I kept reading because I just wanted it to be over & to know what the conclusion was. I about screamed when I saw it was to be continued....really? well for the first time in my life I don't think I will purchase the last book of a series. Don't waste your time & money on this series....

4.0 out of 5 stars It was an OK book, June 26, 2012
I personally loved the first book of the series, and although this was not as good as the first, it wasnt that bad. As much as i hate saying, and find myself saying all the time describing other books, it reminds me of all my other favorites: Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Twiligjt, Percy Jackson, Eragon and lots of others like this. This book (and series) is good for a weekend full of free time and nothing to do. I read the first in one day:) Overall, I would recommend this book bc it is entertaining and worth reading. And, man this review took forever to tap out on my kindle!!:)

1.0 out of 5 stars come ON, February 28, 2011
im srry james i really am... but this was the worst teen\ young adult book i have ever read in my entire life. its cheesey and the plot is just random. its worse than the first one. i really though he wouldredeem himself but he didnt. i love his books usually but my GOD... dont buy this book its a waste of your time and money.

1.0 out of 5 stars suckarama, January 10, 2011
I refuse to believe James wrote a word of this crap. There is no option for "no stars" or I would rate it as such

4.0 out of 5 stars Fans will be thrilled to know that printed on the last page are the words "TO BE CONTINUED.", December 22, 2010
Seventeen-year-old Whit Allgood and his 15-year-old sister, Wisty, cling to survival as The One Who Is The One slowly squeezes the life out of the people. Ever since he took control and implemented the New Order (N.O.) government, all freedoms are revoked, and books, music and anything creative are outlawed. The siblings are shocked when they discover they have magical powers, thus making them a special target of The One. They are still learning to use their power, discovering some amazing talents, but it also brings new responsibilities. With their special gifts, they find themselves leading a group of misfit, renegade kids in a high-stakes revolution.

But it's hard to focus on a revolution when one is in the dark about their parental figures. Whit and Wisty don't even know if their mom and dad are dead or alive, held captive or fighting for freedom. And Whit has it doubly bad as he is fanatical about finding his dead girlfriend, Celia. He continues to hear her whispers and smell her perfume, but she lingers just out of reach. Sometimes Whit and Wisty receive confusing instructions from their missing loved ones, actually suggesting they turn themselves in to the authorities. Could The One have gotten control of them, brainwashing them along with the majority of the population?

Even with The One's powers increasing, he's obsessed with capturing the Allgood siblings and taking their gifts for his own. He will stop at nothing, including deception, torture and murder, to get what he wants. But in all of the darkness, a bit of light may be found, not unlike what occurs during the huge musical festival where Wisty discovers a love of performing on stage. Even during the fun, though, they can't let down their guard. The One has informers and double agents planted, ready to take down the Allgoods at the first opportunity. The children need to remember to trust no one, but sometimes they must do just that in order to survive.

In this second book of the Witch & Wizard series, James Patterson teams up with Ned Rust to continue the adventures of Whit and Wisty. As in the first installment, THE GIFT surges with fast-paced action and even more cool magical effects. The vivid descriptions and immense imagination fill the pages with color. I very much respect the theme of the importance of creativity, thought, ideas, music, books and art ("If there is one thing I need to teach you, it's never underestimate the power of what you or others create. Music, art, film, writing...there's tremendous energy here. This is life force. Very important."). I also love the line from Whit on smoking ("I look at each smoldering cigar and, one by one, I visualize the rolled brown tobacco inside. Foul stuff. I hate nicotine poison."). The authors work very well together and have come up with the clever distinction of alternating chapters of first person, some through Whit's eyes and others through Wisty's. Fans will be thrilled to know that printed on the last page are the words "TO BE CONTINUED."

--- Reviewed by Chris Shanley-Dillman, author of FINDING MY LIGHT

The Gift (Witch & Wizard)
The Gift (Witch & Wizard) by James Patterson (Paperback - December 13, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.07