Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 18, 2009
Short review:
1) This is an excellent 1st Edition.

2) The author included hard to find and relevant examples that are definitive of the genre

3) Wide breadth of artists, designers, bands, styles, etc. represented

4) The number one reason this is a 5 Star book is that the production values are magnificent, the paper stock is heavy, the prints are beautiful, the typos are nil (I haven't found any), registration is on-key, color is great, binding is durable, jacket is great. This is a value in today's cut and paste culture of mass media. This book presents the content in way that makes you want to open it again and again. This book belongs on top of your coffee table.
on September 2, 2010
Well it is IMHO. Got it yesterday and haven't been able to put it down. Simply put this book is fantastic and I was blown away. I bought it based on these other reviews as I hadn't seen a copy in real life. Glad I took the plunge.

I really like the way it is printed on nice, heavier stock and each page comes with perforations so you can tear out and display selected pieces as posters. It is a larger book (dimension-wise) and this lends itself well to the fact that it IS a poster book. Nothing worse than getting a new book on art posters or design and the like, only to find that the images are smaller than you'd like them to be and you miss out on great detail.

I'm often doing music and gig posters, so for me this is a great little asset for inspiration. It has a little write-up on each of the artists/creative studios with a website for each which is handy and personally always appreciated. I highly recommend this book. There is a wide range of artists and tons of stuff I haven't seen before.

There are something like 700 images and 100 rip out posters. I will now have to get a second copy so I can stick a few around the office and keep one for reference :)
on March 18, 2011
I purchased this for my 16 year old who is way into music. Of all the things I got him for Christmas I think that this was his favorite. He hadn't heard of half the bands in this book which lead him on some great research and he discovered some really cool bands. He has the posters hanging all over his wall.
on February 11, 2016
I read the previous reviews on paper quality and I don't get what people are complaining about. I am picky and this seemed fine to me. It has a nice weight paper stock with a matte finish. I got this one and volume 2 for decorating a bedroom shared by two teen boys. We went to a concert at a local venue that had old posters all over the walls and they commented how they would like their room to look like that. When I saw this, it seemed like the perfect solution. Some of the bands featured are a little obscure, but overall, they found some they liked to frame. The art is fantastic and it's awesome to see posters that I never would have had a chance to see.

** The photos may be of pictures from volume or volume 2. I bought both. These are just to display them framed in an 11x14 frame.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2014
The most useful "critical" review listed here hits hard on the paper stock and "washed out" colors of the book. However, I strongly disagree with the color criticism on the color tone of the book. It's just the style used, here. The paper stock (not photo/poster quality- post-card type quality) is lower grade- HOWEVER I think that obviously allowed for a much higher volume of content.

This is a book full of concert flyers, not a mesmerizing photography collection. Around $30 for 100 or so music flyers/mini-posters isn't going to get you great art or professional quality. It's good collection of concert flyers from a wide range of artists that is an interesting flip-through, though.

Purchasing this and Vol 2 for my 16yr old nephew. With that adolescent interest in music that tends to explore all directions at random, this should be a good match.
on March 3, 2013
This book has over 700 "gig" posters from a great assortment of bands that have played from the year 2000 to present.There are 2 pages that showcase each artist(7 posters each)+also a summary of each artist.It also has over 100 posters that are perforated+can be framed as well. A+++++
on June 28, 2015
Very cool book. I love the fact that I can pull out the posters and use them how I want. I've put a few in frames and they look great. Nice material on the artists in the book as well. I can't wait to get Volume 2!
on January 19, 2012
I bought the second edition for a gift and was extremely impressed, so I decided to buy the first as well. Both are outstanding quality in paper, print and quantity.

However, I personally like the variety in the second edition, compared to this one. If you're only getting one, I'd recommend the second.
on May 3, 2016
Love this book -- wish that more of them for different genre's and times were available. Reading about the artists is great -- but the best part is picking out your favorite posters and framing them up. I love having all the reminders and memories hanging on the walls... especially now that the t-shirts are all worn out! :-)
on January 14, 2012
I bought this book for a co-worker. He is one of those hard to buy for people. When I started thinking about how much of a music buff he was, and how eclectic his taste was this book became the obvious choice.
Of course I took a quick peek through it before I wrapped. I have to say I will be buying a copy for myself! There are some posters that are removable for framing and display but I think I will leave my book whole.
It's great to see posters from small to large venue shows.
Don't know what else to say, if you are a music fan of any genre this book is definitely for you!