Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now PlasmaCar

on October 11, 2013
I use this with my Microsoft Surface Pro. I didn't even have to install the drivers, they were all detected.

I have not had any issues and the copy times between 2 USB 3.0 devices is amazing.

The construction is very sturdy and it is amazingly small. From the pictures you can't really tell, but it is very compact and I just throw it in my laptop bag with the other peripherals and I never worry about it. Some accessories I have are cheap and I would worry about them, but not this one. It is rock solid.

Hope the helps.

Damon Downing
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2014
I purchased this adapter in January 2014 for my Acer S7-392 that comes only with 2 USB 3.0 ports and no Ethernet adapter. This is the perfect add-on, It works flawlessly all the time at Gigabit speeds, is fully compatible with Windows 8.1 and provides 3 additional USB 3.0 ports so by using it I actually win 2 more ports. Its compact (although it could be smaller I think) and easy to carry so it fits perfectly in my small briefcase. Is the perfect accessory for modern Ultrabooks with limited USB ports and no Ethernet. Recommended.
on July 31, 2014
In Quick Summery...
The UNITEK USB 3.0 3 Hub (Y-3048A) is unique because it comes bundled with an OTG microUSB Adaptor; which allows the hub to be directly plugged into compatible mobile smartphones (Android, Windows Phones) and tablets. This means files such as movies, photos, and music (USB drives, Hard Drives, SD cards)- can all be easily transferred without the need for an actual laptop computer. All in all, the high functionality, fast transfer speeds, and modest price tag, makes the UNITEK adapter a great deal.

Extended Full Review:

Price: MRSP of $30, street price around $22
Purchase exclusively at:

What's included in the box-
The packaging for the UNITEK adapter is small and petite. A QR code can be found on the back for more information on the item. Contents will include the device itself, a SanDisk SD to microSD card adapter, and a warranty guide. Note that UNITEK also offers a second version of this USB Hub, which is almost identical, except it features an ethernet port instead of a SD card reader.

The adapter itself is constructed out of a durable plastic material, with a brushed aluminum finish on the upper USB ports; it's small, easy to carry around, and seems quite durable (the USB ports are also reinforced with a layer of metal). USB devices can be plugged-in and will stay in place nicely. The side of the adapter also houses the SDHC/SDXC/SD card reader. Note that the SD card, when inserted, protrudes from the unit a little too far for our liking, but at least the SD card is very easy to plug-in and remove. One minor critique we did have was with the lightness of the product. As such, it often slides around the table surface, instead of staying put.

Performance- When coupled with a PC running Windows 8, we found the USB 3.0 transfer speeds to perform as advertised (slightly less than 5Gbp per second depending on PC performance). Transferring files and copying files onto both flash drives and SD/micro cards (SDHC, SDXC, SD) were a breeze. The unit read all of the various brands and types of USB drives we tested out (both USB 2.0 and 3.0 formats). The HUB also powered various Hard Drives and USB charging cables (iPhone, Samsung )very well.

The spacing between the USB slots are also quite good. We could easily plug in three standard sized USB devices without an issue. However, if you do have a thicker than normal thumb drive (such as the Patriot Snowman)- you will only have access to two of the ports simultaneously. No additional power supply (its plug and play) is needed to run the unit. Depending on your preference, the absence of a distinct LED notification light can be a pro (no distractions) or a con. However, we're glad to say the unit remains generally cool in temperature during performance!

As far as the OTG performance, it definitely works as advertised. Supported devices (check with your specific tablet/phone's manufacturer spec sheet for details) like the Archos 101, Moto Atrix 4G, Galaxy Note, or LG Nexus 5, read files from their respective file managers without a hiccup. If your Android smartphone lacks a native file manager, many free options are available from the Google Play store for download. Using the OTG, transfer speeds were on par with USB 2.0 devices (not as fast as 3.0), but still very handy for reading images/videos on a SD/USB drive; especially when a full-blown computer is not available! Files read over the adapter can then be copied onto the phone's memory, sent out, or vice versa (content can be stored form the phone/tablet onto the memory device inserted). We found that using the Hub also did not have too significant of a detrimental effect on our mobile devices' battery life- a plus!

If you are looking for a easy-to-use USB Hub with some advanced functionality (Hard Drive Support, 3.0 transfer speed, SD reader, OTG performance), then this one won't disappoint. the price is right, and the design is minimalistic.

Rating: 4.8/5 stars (Rounded to 5/5- Exellent)

A special thanks to UNITEK, and check us out on Official YouTube Channel!

OSReviews- 2014
on March 12, 2014
The device generally works with current Linux OSes and on older systems (12.04-ish) it is possible to build the driver yourself. USB3 speeds for storage and GigE speeds for networking if running 3.11.0+ kernels.

While it might support Linux, the drivers are not built-into the 12.04 kernels v3.2.x. At least I didn't see them and ended up grabbing the source and compiling it. Hopefully, with 14.04 is released, the drivers are included and life will be good again.

What does that mean?
* After every kernel release, expect to rebuild these drivers. That is a hassle.
* There isn't an install-install package - like a .rpm or .deb package maintained by the vendor.
* Do you know "make" - you will.

Ubuntu 13.10 and later DO have the drivers. See the update at the bottom for more about this.

The included mini-CD driver disk doesn't fit in my laptop "slider" DVD player and the netbooks don't have any optical drives. That means a trip to google to find the drivers. www.unitek-products . com/en/product_detail.php?id=253 was the location found.

I didn't find the performance THAT much better, if at all, on an old Netbook when using rsync.
$ rsync -avz --progress --stats
returned between 6.5 and 7.5 MB/s across a 20 file transfer. ssh is used by default and on a slower Atom CPU, the CPU performance does matter. The tested machine only has USB2, which is 400Mbps in theory, but even 200Mbps would have been nice.

The entire house has gigabit networking, switches and CAT5e or CAT6 cabling. 10+MB/s would be expected for a 100base-t network and 40-50 MB/s would be expected for this device over a USB2 connection. That is not what I saw. Transfers to and from the same server from other GigE connected devices are routinely around 70-80MB/s.

I did not use any tunable parameters for the driver. The readme included with the drivers, specified a few options for the insmod command. Different settings may improve performance.

I purchased this to be used with a new Acer C720 netbook running Ubuntu which has a single USB3 port and SSD. I'll update this once testing on that machine has happened. The CPU on the C720 should remove any slowness of a dual Atom CPU.

I connected 2 USB2 devices and they were recognized immediately by pcmanfm. Local transfers showed about 15MB/s transfers using a 32G USB3 Flash drive (Patriot brand). Again, I believe the slower netbook performance and spinning HDD didn't show the possible speeds.
Decided to run iperf tests in client and server mode on the USB2 port connection:
Client: 216 Mbits/sec
Server: 309 Mbits/sec
Reputable for a USB2 connection.

Testing results for USB3 ports has to wait.

Oh - and I'm be cautious about MB/s and Mb/s terms here. 1 MB/s == 8 Mb/s.

USB3 - the performance seems to be USB3 speeds limited by the only available USB3 device connected to this specific machine. See throughput reported above.

Ethernet - 850 - 950 Mbit/sec. What more can we ask? There is good news. The driver is included in the default kernels for 13.10 and 14.04 Beta. It was automatically recognized and loaded by the OS. I suspect other flavors will load the driver exactly the same.
$ uname -rm
3.11.0-19-generic x86_64
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 2, 2014
This is a video review of the USB 3.0 4 Port Hub w/ OTG Adapter by UNITEK (pay attention because there were different products mixed in the list of reviews here).

Ok, so to be honest, the main thing that makes this stand out is the OTG adapter. Other than that, it would be just another 3.0 Hub. In my video review I show how I use it to connect to a Galaxy S4 to transfer files back and forth between the phone and a thumb drive. It's lightweight, small and I can just throw it in my laptop bag to have handy.

There's no annoying LED lights on this one. Since it's powered via USB, no external power source is needed, so that's a bonus. As are most hubs these days, it is indeed backwards compatible with legacy USB versions I tested.

Overall, this is seems to be a good value and price-point for what you get. I also like the permanently attached cable, so that's one less I have to carry around. One thing to note is that not all devices support OTG. Be sure to check your devices specs before purchasing this if being used specifically for that reason.

DISCLOSURE: I was provided a sample for review. No, it's not my intent to SELL you on any product, but instead to show you (via video) the features and what I like or dislike about the product. Take it for what it's worth.
on December 7, 2013
Contrary to what other reviewers have said (likely due to the fact they received it for free) this isn't such a great product. As a video editor, most of devices used with this are portable hard drives. Even straight through (only one device plugged into the hub) the read/write speed is limited to a mere 40Mb/s (about 1.5x usb 2.0 standard) and with two drives plugged in, (self powered!) is unstable. Drives eject without warning or fail to deliver reliable connections. The event that prompted me to write the review was while using a portable DVD burner plugged into the hub while burning a .mov file on a drive plugged into the hub. It simply couldn't do it. My computer is a capable Retina Macbook Pro, but this hub cannot reliably manage large quantities of data. Overload it and it fails. The ethernet port also requires a driver to use with Macs, and if you don't have access to a 3.5" tray-style CD rom drive (the ethernet driver is provided on a half-diameter CD) you'll have to obtain it from the web, no easy task if you're not computer literate. If you're just looking to plug in a load of thumb drives I suppose it will work due to the low data transfer rate, but with SSDs or 7200RPM external usb 3.0 drives, its unreliable.

Edit: Changed from 2 to 3 stars, thanks to wonderful customer service that sent me a new one no questions asked. The new one works as advertised, is much faster, and is more reliable than the first. Maybe I received a bad one from the start but their customer service was relentless and persistent to correct my issue.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2014
I gave it 5 stars because it worked better than I expected. I have a 2 in 1 that it works on. Win 8.1. you can use 2.0 USB devices by using an extension, so that there is less interference from other 3.0 devices you may also be using. It is also works well with my android device using the micro adapter. Both devices use the micro SDXC chip . I sometimes share movies between the two. AVI. format and PDF documents. Doing remarkably well. I whole heartily recommend it.
on January 29, 2014
On some of the reviews people were complaining this is not compatible with Windows 8.1. I have a Toshiba Click Hybrid with only 1 3.0 usb connection and only wifi capable. With this item I now have 3, 3.0 usb's and a Ethernet connection. All I had to do was plug and play took a while to load after that I tested it by connecting 3 usb flash drives, and the computer recognized all 3. I also connected the Ethernet wire to it. I was worried cause my laptop is ONLY wifi no ethernet connection anywhere on it and I was thinking it would not work with it, but nope my laptop turned off wifi and the symbol for Ethernet (hardline connected) showed up.
on February 24, 2014
After researching I decided to purchase this unit. I wanted to use it primarily on my Surface Pro tablet. The device comes with a mini-CD. I transferred the information to a flash drive and installed the device. I experienced some difficulties in the installation but it did complete. The USB 3.0 is fast and consistent. Having 2 additional ports makes life easier on the Surface Pro. The downside is that the Ethernet port doesn't work. I have searched for alternate drivers to make this port light up with no success. I can plug in an old 100MB USB adapter to one of the USB ports and achieve connectivity to a wired LAN but that's not what I should have to do.

Update 4/1/14: After posting my review on this product I received a notification from the vendor that I should download different drivers and install the product. They recommended drivers and I installed those drivers. After several emails back and forth I wanted to ensure that the Ethernet component of the device worked at all. I connected it to a Windows 7 computer and the port was immediately recognized and I could connect to a LAN through the device. I plugged it back into my Surface Pro and the Ethernet portion was again not recognized. Ultimately I decided to return the unit but my window for returning the item had expired. I guess that's what you get for trying to work with a vendor to resolve an issue!
on September 23, 2014
No Ethernet on Windows 8.1 with Lenovo Yoga Pro 2. The hub works, but who cares? I bought this because my Wi-Fi at work is completely unreliable. I've always connected directly to the LAN on my old notebook, but ultrabooks don't have Ethernet ports.

The instructions were no use. I searched the Unitek website, the Asix website, downloaded multiple driver versions, but none of it worked.

Works fine on a nearby Windows 7 machine.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse