Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Outdoor Deals on HTL Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl

on May 18, 2012
Updated Review. October 2014

The following corrections at the bottom of the page fixed all of the issues... I am using win 7 pro 64 bit. Bios F8.

Were do I start....This board has no issues with sandy bridge processors. Ivy bridge is a different story.

There is a reason why I am giving this item 5 stars. However now 4 stars.

With ivy bridge processors currently all versions of the Bios has issues. Even the Beta F8a version. However F8a is usable and stable though.
You have to call Gigabyte and ask for it to get it. This version is not available on their website.
Versions F5-F7 will cause BSOD when the computer goes into sleep mode with the ivy bridge family of processors.
Bios F7-F8a has a hard time to get into the Bios. You have to hit delete 50 times or so when you start the computer.
Sometimes you have to reset the cmos on the motherboard to get into the bios. Once you save changes to the bios that is when it becomes difficult to
enter the bios. The boot menu has the same problem. Hard to access.

However windows performance is excellent and gigabyte support is great. The engineers actually email you for tech support. They are very knowledgable.
When you call gigabyte they answer the phone in an average time of 2-3 minutes. They are very helpful and they do not read you script.
I am using core i7 3770k along with a gtx 480 gpu. 16gb ram.

They asked for the components of my system and are going to build my system in their lab to find out what is causing the issues.

I give a rating of 5 stars for the exceptional customer service. They release new versions of the bios in days not months.

Eventually all issues will be resolved. This is a very good company. Company's like ECS or ASUS you can not even contact.

Update January 2014:

There are problems with the Bios still. Restart hang problem with an A9 code with bios F8. This problem develops over time.
It does not exist on a clean install.

I changed the rating to 4 stars do to the lack of support. The new support tech is hard to understand.
I was told that the bios is not the problem, but my video card is. I was told I needed to update the firmware on my GTX480.

EVGA was very helpful and told me the card has no firmware updates and it sound to them like a motherboard issue.

I still use F8 bios because that is the most stable bios in my opinion. F13, F14 has issues that makes windows 7 completely unusable.
My motherboard version is 1.0.

With F13, F14 there are freezing issues within windows as well as crash restarting issues for no apparent reason. Bios setting sometimes are also not saved
with these versions. I contacted gigabyte about F13, F14 in the past about the problems and they told me it must be my setup.
The support has really gone down hill.

My solution or fix to the restart cycling A9 error is using bios F8 as follows :

In the bios make these changes.

Bios Features
1. Bootup numberlock state, set to disabled.
2. PCI Priority, set Legacy Rom to disabled.
3. Network Stack, set to disabled.

1. Lan PXE Boot Option Rom, set to disabled.

Power Management
1. Wake On Lan, set to disabled.

Memory(Ram DDR3) VTT voltage is set wrong by default and needs to be changed from 1.05V to 1.1V

The main culprit for the boot loop is the memory VTT voltage is set wrong by default. This should be your first change if you have this problem.

With these changes the restarting issues are completely eliminated.

Which tell me that errors in the bios has caused this issue.

This board is very stable when it is operating properly. It never crashes or has any hiccups on boot or shutdowns. It runs any program or game with a gtx 480 card.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Mushkin 120GB SATA 3 SSD
Nvidia GTX250
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

I've had this board up and running for about a week now to replace my good old faithful Core 2 Quad. Had it not been for my old motherboard failing I would still have been happy w/ the Core 2. Once the prices of Ivy Bridge come down I intend to upgrade and pass the 2600k along to the kiddies.

I was originally waiting for the release of Ivy Bridge but I saw a great deal on the 2600k so I decided to go with it. The install went well. High quality materials and great build quality. This is my first board w/ a graphical BIOS and it was ok to me. (kind of like dragging someone out of the DOS world into Windows 3.11). The BIOS felt a little clumsy to navigate through but I think that it was just me having to adjust coming from a text only BIOS.

Admittedly I don't have much patience anymore for researching proper vcore, multiplier, etc for overclocking and the stock speeds were just fine but the BIOS made it so simple to overclock that I opted to try for a mild 4.1 ghz OC. With ambient temp of 70f the CPU runs great at idle temp of 30c and after 30 minutes on prime95 63c.

Benchmarking my SSD using the Intel SATA controller and ATTO yielded a read/write of 550/515 MBs/s respectively. On a MSI z68 board with a 3rd party SATA 3 controller I was using for testing only yielded a 300/250 MBs/s read/write so I am defintiely pleased with the results of the Intel SATA controller on this board.

The only negative experience I've had w/ this board so far is that there was something on my network constantly waking the computer from sleep. I'm pretty sure it was something on the network because as soon as I disabled wake on lan the issue went away. I am not yet going to hold this against the board as I do not know if this is something that is my fault or some issue w/ the board.

If you are willing to give up a few USB 3.0 and SATA 3 ports, and have a slightly lesser quality audio processor, and a non intel LAN chip you can save $30 by going with the UD3H. (also a good board)

Thanks to Sean's comment below I discovered that the default BIOS version F4 which shipped with my MB does not support 1600mhz memory speed with Sandy Bridge. If you want to use 1600 with SB then you must update the BIOS. For me version F6H worked just fine. I am not docking a star for that since by the time I discovered the problem there was already a fix for it.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2012
It's a good upgrade from a P67. If you already have an i7 sandy bridge already and realize that the IVY bridge is not much better and overheat when attempt to overclock pass the limit of the previous generation, BUT still feel the NEED of Spending your money on a new piece of tech(like me), then just upgrade your mother board to the Z77 . It is definitely a worthy purchase, in my opinion even if you already have the z68. Why?

You already know most of the features this board offers. They all work right out of the box, well after I put the system together of course. The M-sata slot is a cool little feature to show off inside a windowed case. You might have watched more than a few video unbox on youtube so am not gonna mention anything more about the feature. Except that the new placement of front audio connection port makes so much sense now than it used to be (next to the front USB ports rather than on the mid left side).

I thought the blue VRM heat sinks gonna look bad but it grew on me. Anti-static dust and humidity protection PCB makes it an appealing feature for a fairly open case. I chose to go with gigabyte because of those features. I'm not too keen with the fancy features such as thermal armor from asus or the 3 and 4 ways SLI features that higher end boards (G1 sniper, Republic of gamers). Since 2 ways is all I need, especially with my 2600k(doesn't support pcie 3.0). However this board has pcie 3.0 therefore if intel release better Ivy bridge version with better thermal output then you'd be ready to slap that new cpu on ur MB.

3D bios kinda cool I played with it a little bit. You have the 3d model of the board that you can use ur mouse to click on every parts to check or adjust the settings.

It comes with a front bay USB 3 header, very thoughtful of gigabyte (This cost $14 bux if purchased from store). I have a corsair 800d, anyone who owns it, knows that it does not have the USB 3 internal header but the 2 pass through cables for its own front USB. So you could use this inclusion as an internal USB3 adapter. The intergraded sound is actually better than a lot of other previous onboard. So this is why I went with the UD5 instead of UD3.
I went with Gigabyte as a brand because of brand loyalty as well as my previous experience with their customer support. I can't say anything bad about the others brand but I'm not one willing to test the fire.
on January 21, 2013
I bought this motherboard to run various video production and rendering software, some of which runs only under OSX and others under Windows. My daughter is a video/production student attending college and she needs to learn how to use a wide range of tools in preparation for entering the market.

This card works out-of-the-box with the TonyMacX86 tools to load OSX on homemade systems. Just purchase Mountain Lion from the Apple Appstore, create a bootable USB stick and install. No messing with DSDT's or kexts, no need to spend days playing with configurations or settings. It's just as easy as setting-up a Windows PC.

This system is running a Xeon QC 3.4GHz CPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance SDRAM, 2GB EVGA Geforce GTX 660 graphics card, 240GB Sandisk Extreme SSD, 1TB WD Blue, TPLink WiFi adapter and Iogear Bluetooth adapter in a Fractal Designs Define R4 case and Intel Liquid Cooling Solution. I'm using it with a genuine Apple wired USB keyboard and Apple Magic Mouse without any issues, and a pair of Asus IPS HDMI LCD panels. The system is screaming fast, temps are low, and its quiet enough to hear a flea fart.

Note: Make sure you get rev 1.1 or higher of this motherboard, as there's a bug with rev 1.0 that prevents you from using the standard speaker/headphone jack under OSX and Linux (the green audio port). Gigabyte fixed this with rev 1.1.
on October 19, 2012
First, it must be said that Amazon's customer service is great. I received a board that wouldn't POST, and after 20+ hours of troubleshooting, I determined the board to be DOA, and exchanged it through Amazon no questions asked. The only issue I have with the board is all of the included software. A lot of it is less than useful (mostly because there are other, freeware, third-party, utilities that will do the same things less clunkily), but some of it is really nice. The Bios is especially fully featured and easy to navigate, and the board seems to be running smoothly. Good Value, LOTS of features, but somewhat unreliable (as others have noted). Once you get a working board, however, it's a great deal for the price.

-Build Info-

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Case: Antec P280 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS424-98 DVD/CD Writer
on August 27, 2012
Great features: SLI, Crossfire, Dual BIOS (actual chips, not some software implementation), Realtek ALC898, Dual Gigabit NICs
Standard Z77 features: PCI-E 3.0 (w/ Ivy Bridge CPU), Native chipset USB 3.0, Lucid Virtu MVP
Plenty of SATA ports (2 x SATA3, 4 x SATA2, and 2 x SATA3 on another chip, and 1 x eSATA)
EasySetup (for Intel Rapid Start, Smart Response, Smart Connect)

Bios fan control could use some work (options are automatic and manual, manual only defines ramp slope, would be more useful IMO to set a target temperature)
EasyTune6 is a OS resource hog

Other thoughts:
For some reason I started getting a warning in Windows 7 about "Power surge on USB 3.0..." which is odd considering nothing was plugged into that USB 3.0 port. I disabled the offending port in Device Manager, and figure if it's not fixed in the next BIOS or before the warranty runs out, I'll RMA it.
on November 30, 2012
After a thorough review of most available Z77 motherboards, I decided to give this Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H a try. For me, it came down to this board or the Asus P8Z77-V Pro or Deluxe. Since I did not care about built in WiFi or Thunderbolt compatibility, I opted for the lower priced Gigabyte board that (other than the features mentioned) offers everything the Asus boards have and then some. I had not purchased a Gigabyte board in at least 10 years as I always found Asus boards met my needs better. The one exception was an EVGA P55 board purchased four years ago (big mistake, they can't seem to get their BIOS right).

This is what I have in my system:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel Core i7 3770K CPU
Thermaltake Water2.0 Pro CPU Cooler
G.Skill F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL RAM (2 x 8GB - I have two of these kits installed for a total of 32GB ram to run virtual machines)
Corsair 620W modular PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel 520 SSD 240 GB for OS and Apps
Western Digital 1 TB 7200 RPM hard drive for data
ATI Radeon 4670 with 1 GB RAM (I am not a gamer)
Pioneer Blu-Ray burner
LG DVD burner
AFT Pro-35U USB 2.0 card reader

All of the above are installed in a Coolermaster Storm Scout case with 4 front USB 2.0 ports and a front eSATA port to which I have a 1TB external drive attached for backup and archival purposes. A 2TB external drive is attached to a rear USB 3.0 port. (I have yet to install the 3.5" two-port USB 3.0 bracket in a 5.25" bay in the Coolermaster case although I am planning to do so).

I have a 13TB unRAID NAS I built for long-term storage of photos, videos, ripped DVDs, blu-ray discs, documents, etc.

After running this system for a week, I have had zero issues.

Things I really like about this MB:
- BIOS/UEFI - I don't use the 3D BIOS gimmick - I use advanced mode and it has a ton of BIOS setting features
- board layout (everything was easy to get to even when mounted in my mid-tower case)
- lots (5 I believe) of onboard fan connectors
- 8 SATA ports (although I doubt I will use them all since I push most storage to my NAS)
- 1 eSATA port on rear panel - I still have external drives with eSATA interfaces which is much better than USB 2.0
- 3 onboard USB 3.0 headers + 2 USB 2.0 headers
- 2 NICS (one connected to my WiFi router - one connected to a test network)
- IEEE 1394a port on rear panel (I still have a few old miniDV tapes to capture and a lot of MB manufacturers are abandoning firewire in favor of USB 3.0)
- Easy overclocking when I am ready to do that (I tried it briefly and it was a breeze)

My board came with the latest available BIOS (F14). After I installed the board, it booted on the first attempt with no issues. I set up the BIOS and then installed Windows 7 on the SSD in AHCI mode. I did not use the drivers on the included CD. I had download all the latest chipset, USB, audio, NIC, etc. drivers from the Gigabyte website and had them ready to go on a USB stick. I installed these drivers after installing the OS and I have had zero driver issues. Everything is functioning as it should. All USB2, USB3, eSATA, firewire, NIC, audio and other ports/drivers are working 100%.

My monitor (an HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200) has a built-in 4-port USB 2.0 hub and the board has no problems with it either.

I also have no issues waking the board from an S3 sleep with the keyboard or mouse. Maybe that is fixed in the F14 BIOS. I do not have to press the power button to wake from sleep as some have reported. Whatever the early issues were with this board, they seem to have been resolved, or, I just got lucky with a very good board.

I do understand that some people have had issues (especially early on) with BIOS and drivers or they have received a bad board (it happens, unfortunately). I am just happy that I have had no issues or failures and, so far, I have nothing remotely bad to say about this board. I will update this review if anything changes.

==== UPDATE December 23, 2012 =========

The board continues to function flawlessly, however, I thought I would add a word of caution concerning the USB 3.0 connectors on the motherboard. Of course, this applies to any motherboard with USB 3.0 connectors and not just this motherboard.

1 - The pins in the 3.0 motherboard connectors are very fragile. It is *very, very* easy to bend the pins inadvertently. On the upper USB 3.0 connector on this board, two pins bent so badly that they were touching and prevented the board from posting, it would power on and then power off almost immediately, I traced the problem to the bent pins which bent when I inserted the front panel USB 3.0 port connector cable into the MB socket. Even though the cable connector slid into the MB socket, these pins bent so badly that they were flat against the bottom of the connector. When I straightened them out, the MB posted fine, but, one of the pins broke off. This USB 3.0 socket is now useless. This seem to be a common complaint concerning USB 3.0 pins vs. the relatively much more robust pins of the USB 2.0 connectors. Be very careful when inserting anything into a USB 3.0 socket.

2 - The two USB 3.0 connectors at the bottom edge of the board are so close together that some cables (depending on the connector width) will not fit in the connector if a cable is in the adjacent connector. I had to use a hacksaw and saw off one side of the rubber cable jacket very close to the 20-pin socket so that cables could go in both connectors. Since I ruined the upper connector, I had to use both the lower connectors to support my front-panel USB 3.0 ports and USB 3.0 card reader.
on December 3, 2012
First, the good:

* The board overclocks extremely well
* The board is extremely stable
* The layout is logical and easy to work with
* Plenty of ports
* Cooling is great
* The menu-driven UEFI is excellent.

I was extremely happy with this board until November 19, at which point the Intel NIC started giving me trouble. Gigabyte support is abysmal and they keep trying to point to software and have me cleanly reinstall, although I have made it abundantly clear that a) I have already done this b) I have fully reset the CMOS and c) it occurs in every OS I try, even LiveCD/LiveDVDs, which proved the problem was OS-independent and was not software related. However after three weeks of back and forth emails becoming increasingly frustrated and irate with Gigabyte's lousy support staff, I finally solved the problem on my own. The trick was to flash the EFI/BIOS firmware NOT clearing the DMI pool, then DO NOT reboot and immediately flash it AGAIN, and THEN power down, then power the system up. Since then I have had no problems with the board.

I will update this review later on with more detail on various aspects of the board. Because aside from the glitch with the NIC which was a firmware issue, I am increasing my rating of this board to five stars, with the qualifier that I did experience a frustrating issue with the board, but the issue is now resolved (again, no thanks to Gigabyte support).
on July 25, 2012
I made my first build using this motherboard and the recent lineup of ivy bridge (i5-3570k). The motherboard comes loaded with features and ports that I personally can't see completely filling up ever. I won't really go into all of the features since they're readily available in the product descriptions. So far, I've used the basics and all of them have worked without any issues.

Putting the CPU in required a little bit more force to lock into place than what I have seen and heard about before. It indented the CPU slightly on either side of it (it actually cut into it ever so slightly) but did not damage any of the pins and I have had no problems in that regard. Just be careful with it.

Other than that I had no hardware connectivity problems. The surplus of USB 3.0 ports were a nice addition (I haven't had them ever but man they're nice!) and as a recording artist I make big use of the firewire included.

Unfortunately the motherboard was not released without errors. A couple of BIOS updates immediately removes a lot of them (I'm at update F8) and the included software makes bios updates very easy. However, about 10% of the time that my computer goes into sleep mode currently, it kills itself. I just press the mechanical power button and it turns back on most of the time.

I had some issues overclocking my RAM as well. Although the 3d bios is very nice for newer users, it glitches quite a bit in the latest bios update when trying to alternate settings. If you read the reviews on newegg though people pretty clearly list out what you need to do for everything.

Compared to other motherboards with the same features, this is about 20% cheaper. However, like I said it's not without problems, but likely if you're buying a motherboard for a personal build, you're experienced enough and willing to work through some of them. That 20% cheaper is coming at about a 1-2 hour of work cost to you, which I really don't mind.

A lot of people have noticed the "sleep-kill" issue so hopefully that'll be fixed in future BIOS updates. But as I said, just press the power switch and it oddly resumes where you left off pretty quickly (despite the computer restarting). Also, check newegg for some settings suggestions that work really well at eliminating the problem. Despite the 4 star review, I would purchase this again without too much hard thought. It's a very well valued high end motherboard.

I wanted to add in fixes that I had found on different sites that eliminated the frequency of the sleep-kill problem. Note that it does still happen but now only about once every 2 or 3 days (or about once ever 30 times it goes into sleep, compared to about once ever 5-10 times).

1.) Set Ram Voltage to 1.550 instead of stock 1.500
(make sure your ram is ok with this voltage. If you aren't sure, ignore this)
2.) Activate internal intel graphics. The BIOS manual clearly explains this process but if you aren't sure, comment and I'll add it into my review.
3.) set pck clock to 101 instead of auto
4.) Turn off c6/c3 in the cpu advanced f menu. Note you'll have to ditch the 3D bios and go into the advanced section for this.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2012
Don't let the older reviews discourage you. Whatever issues that Gigabyte may have had with this product are fixed. I have built over two dozen desktop systems and this is one of the best motherboards I have used. Zero defects and zero problems. Everything works as advertised. BIOS is solid (I upgraded to version 14...probably fixed some of the issues that earlier users reported).

I used a i5-3570K CPU and SATA3 SSD for this build and the system is wicked fast. The features are too many to list. See the Newegg site (OBTW, Amazon was a few bucks cheaper than Newegg and it arrived in two days with my Prime membership) or the Gigabyte site for details.

Despite a ton of features, my favorite is that it is QUITE even using the stock fan that came with the CPU. I don't use a video card (on-board HD graphics are more than adequate unless you are a serious gamer) and my systen fan is about 240mm running at a very low speed. I can barely hear it over the A/C!!