Published 22 months ago by Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the money
The only issue I had with this card were the audio drivers. Because the HDMI ports need the Nvidia audio drivers they were taking control over my on-board Realtek sound driver. Problem is I do not use HDMI so I lost sound. After several painful days of research I found the answer was to remove the Nvidia drivers and custom reinstall with no audio drivers selected. Overall...
Published 2 months ago by Mark Kaverman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Graphics Card! Super efficient, super quiet, and 2gigs of DDR5 Ram!, October 24, 2012
Mike (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 OC 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0 2xDVI-D/HDMI/D-SUB Graphics Card GV-N650OC-2GI (Personal Computers)
This card replaced my old Asus GTX 275. The 275 was great but a massive power hog. The new GTX 650 is quiet, cool, and extremely efficient. Using a killawatt meter. My towers wattage (ie. power draw) dropped by 122 watts while gaming and 28 watts while idle. PCMark rated the card at a higher FPM rate (32 vs. 39) and a much better overall score. The card also runs at around 27C while idle and 54C while gaming.

If your a casual gamer that is concerned about efficiency, noise, and temperature, you can not go wrong buying this card!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent midrange GPU, February 13, 2013
First let me start with my system specs before replacing my graphics card:

AMD FX Series Quad Core FX 4100 Processor 3.6GHz
8GB DDR3 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT520 1GB
500 Watt Power Supply
1TB - SATA III - 7200 rpm HD
24X DVD±RW Dual-Layer Super-Multi Drive
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Why they thought they should put a GT520 in a rig like this is beyond me but anyways, once I found out that i had such a crappy GPU I desperately wanted to upgrade without breaking the bank. I shopped around for a while and did some research on various cards before settling on this one. One thing that stood out to me is that most of the cards I was looking at have mini HDMI ports. This one has a regular size HDMI which is what I wanted so I wouldn't have to buy a new HDMI cord. It also came with a code for a free pandarian pet in WoW. I don't play WoW so I will give it to my friend who does but I thought I would put that in here since it wasn't advertised and caught me by surprise. I got it last night and quickly opened my case and removed the puny GT520 and very easily installed my new GTX 650. After a couple reboots I had all of my drivers installed and resolution set and it was time to test out the games.

Before I begin I am running all of my games in 1920x1080 resolution on a 46" 120Hz Samsung HDTV.

The first game I tried was Star Wars: The Old Republic. I maxed out the settings just to see how it performed and would back it down if needed. I started it up and it was flawless. Absolutely beautiful with a great framerate and no lag. Detail and lighting effects are superb. I enjoyed this game before but now it looks amazing and runs so smooth.

Then I tried Homefront. With my previous card I wasn't able to play Homefront because it would freeze up and crash the game at the end of the intro right before you get to control your character. I was never able to find a fix for this with the GT 520. Again, I maxed the settings and started up the game. Solid graphics, not mind blowing but still good. The main point is that now I can actually play the game. Framerate is smooth like butter.

Red Faction: Armageddon was next. On the GT 520 It ran like molasses. It was like I was playing in slo-mo. Since installing the GTX 650 I did not max the settings for this game but instead left it at a high setting just below max. It runs great. No lag, lighting effects are awesome, the debris from the destruction in this game demands a lot of processing power and so far the GTX 650 seems to handle it really well. I'm still having problems with the cutscenes stuttering but I have a feeling that its a problem with the game files not with the GPU.

So far those are the only games I have had time to test. I will be testing a few more over the next couple of days and will update my review afterwards.

Bottom line is that most things I have read about this card is that it is a middle of the road GPU that has more RAM than it can use and that it is outperformed by amd cards that are the same price and slightly higher end nvidia cards from previous series but in my opinion it is a great card for the price and also keep in mind that this particular brand/model is overclocked out of the box. It is not a monster but if you are looking to upgrade from a low end garbage card to something that will run recent games extremely well and newer games at medium settings all for under $150 then I would recommend this card.

**Update 2/14/2013**
I tried out Red Faction Armageddon again after finding a fix for the stuttering problem thanks to a fellow steam member and it runs great in windowed mode at 720. Still having trouble playing in 1080 or in fullscreen on any resolution. Again, I think its the game and not my hardware setup.

I also tried out Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Highest settings, absolutely beautiful, fluid framerates, great detail.

I will be trying out a few others like supreme commander 2, the last remnant, just cause 1 & 2, and Diablo III within the next day or so and I will update again.

**Update 3/24/2013**
Supreme Commander 2 and Diablo III run beautifully in 1080 at max settings although its a bit smoother in 720. With both of these games however I have to set my display settings in Windows 7 to 100% as far as size or else the mouse cursor is invisible. Normally I liked to have it set at 150% because as I said before its hooked up to my 46" HDTV so unless I'm 3 feet away from the screen it is very hard to read things on the screen.

**Update 11/13/13**
I have had plenty of time to evaluate this thing. I have played all kinds of games on it now. Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution, Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkam City, Sleeping Dogs, Section 8, pretty much every thing I have thrown at it plays flawlessly in perfect 1080 at max settings. I use my computer as a media center as well so i thought I would mention that I can play multiple HD Video files, a DVD, HD video streaming and have a game running all at once and it doesnt even flinch. I'm thinking about getting multiple monitors. I have never had a problem with overheating. It runs smooth, quiet, cool, and efficient. This will be my last update. I would give it 10 stars if I could. I fully recommend this card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn good product, so far...., December 4, 2012
I like the free 3d modelling software package "Blender 3d" and recently it went to a new rendering system called "cycles" that works better with a Nvidia video card that has CUDA technology.

I could do a cycles render with just my CPU but doing so took a very long time. I got this as I wanted to make renders in a reasonable time and needed as much RAM as I could afford on the card.

This card came quickly, kudos to the shipping but a big thumbs down to the delivery mad who left it on my porch as he left it where it could have been blown off and fall several feet to the porch if I hadn't seen it quickly.

It installed quite painlessly, there was a minor issue but it was with my case, not the card's fault and it was easily overcome.

I rendered out a full raytraced scene in cycles that took over one hour in CPU mode using the graphics card instead and it rendered beautifully in 7 minutes.

The card has a fairly modest power demand and my current PS seems to be handling it easily. I didn't have to go buy a new high wattage card to feed this beast.

All in all my only complaint is that right after I ordered it as 135$ and before it arrived it went to 110$. That kind of left me steamed.

I hope it has good longevity, that's the only other thing that could make me feel bad about getting it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it. No issue in Windows 8., December 20, 2012
James (Caldwell, NJ) - See all my reviews
Top Quality, made in Taiwan, very quiet, small size, DVI/VGA/HDMI all included, good performance and graphic improved when compare to my old 9600. It's been 3 weeks after installed in Windows 8 with Asus motherboard and Intel Core i7 3770K CPU. Nice job Gigabyte.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great multi-head display for Linux, July 17, 2013
I use this to drive 3 monitors on Ubuntu, and it works perfectly. It's not going to set any performance records for gaming, but it's good for the price. After messing around with AMD cards for the last several years, I was amazed at how quickly and easily I was able to get this working. The open source drivers work okay, but the Nvidia drivers recommended by Ubuntu perform better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great card for the money., December 12, 2012
Really exceeded my expectations. Running it on a great new system with an i5-3570k. Really impressed by the fps I get on some games. I expected the card to be a bit of an upgrade but it really eclipses my old gtx460. It runs hard reset maxed out and averages over 60 fps. Starcraft 2 at anywhere from 70-100 fps on ultra. Crysis can run smoothly even with the graphics turned up pretty high. Games like Rage, Borderlands 2, Bulletstorm, Street Fighter X Tekken, Max Payne 3, dead space 2, FEAR 3, civilization 5 and many more at high settings and exceptional frames per second.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low cost 4 monitor Card, February 18, 2013
Currently have 3 monitors but expecting to jump to 4 some time this year. My ATI Radeon died on me and this was the lowest cost replacement that could handle 4 monitors. Easy install and works perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT UPDATED to 320.18 WHQL drivers!!, May 29, 2013
Do Not Update to 320.18 WHQL drivers it WILL BRICK this card rendering it useless.
This was a great card for the price until I updated the drivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't be happier!!, July 27, 2013
I AM PLAYING SKYRIM AT HIGH SETTINGS WITHOUT A SINGLE SECOND OF LAG! THIS CARD IS AMAZING! A+! and the shipping was incredibly fast for standard mail. thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for a mid range card, February 13, 2013
I am currently using this card alongside a new AMD fx-8350 And its wonderful, as a replacement for my old GT9800 and amd Phenom II x4

I'm playing

Diablo3 1600x900 are high settings and getting 90-100 FPS
Planetside2 at 1600x900 with medium/low settings gets 40-60fps

Ill be reinstalling Skyrim to see how it performs

Rate and Discover Movies