5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful board... say goodbye to DSDTs!
Published 23 months ago by Jon

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Product (Power Supply Disclaimer)
This Product only works with certain PSU (power supply)

HX750 and TX650 Corsair DO NOT WORK

It is not the PSU although certain PSU do work the issue is with THE GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH

Many people all over the place are having this problem...

I have spent tons of $$ on this issue.

RMA The board if you are having this...
Published 7 months ago by Joey Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful board... say goodbye to DSDTs!, September 29, 2012
This review is from: Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard with BT4.0/Wi-Fi (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH) (Personal Computers)
A lot of people are interested in this board to build a Hackintosh, so I just wanted to say it works great and share some tips. Most importantly, you do not need a DSDT for this board, which removes a lot of potential for headaches. I built my Hackintosh using MultiBeast and it was a breeze. I have not tried using the include WiFi/Bluetooth as I have no need, but I believe those won't work.

To find a great guide on how to get running with this board, Google for "hacks by alfa GA-Z77x-UP5".

I have both the HD4000 and GTX 660 Ti working simultaneously using the device ID injection Alfa describes. My 660 had some quirks with Chimera (via MultiBeast), and installing the latest Chameleon (r2064) seems to have rectified the issues (downloaded from osx86.net). The Thunderbolt ports will work but are not hot-swappable at the moment, i.e. you need to have any devices plugged in when you boot.

The "3D" BIOS is a bit gimmicky but being able to use your mouse to navigate can be quite nice. My only annoyance with this board so far is the lack of a rear FireWire port (my old GA-X58A-UD5 had one). But, it's probably time to upgrade from my old iSight camera anyway. So, no loss of stars there.

Highly recommended for a Hackintosh build.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hackintosh dream machine, January 11, 2013
I chose this model specifically for building a Hackintosh as it has plenty of USB 3.0 ports, Thunderbolt and room to grow with all the PCIe slots. I had to pick this item up from somewhere other than trusty ol' Amazon as they were sold out at the time.

What works:

-My Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler NH-D14 - Retail fits (it can interfere with many motherboards due to its size).
-Mac OS 10.8.3 works perfectly using the standard Hackintosh installation methods.
-I updated my BIOS to F11. It works without issue in Mac OS.
-PCIe. I have a GTX 650 in a 16x slot and it works perfectly. (see note below about the 1x slots)
-All the SATA connectors (7 if I recall) seem to function normally. Some are 3 Gbit/s and some are 6 Gbit/s.
-All the USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports are working for me including all the 20-pin USB 3.0 headers (although the 20-pin headers and any ports controlled by the VIA chipset seem to be stuck on USB 2.0 - Ahh, well. That's what USB 3.0 hubs are for!).
-Audio (although I've done minimal testing).
-Gigabit Ethernet. I found this to cause lockups when the internet connection went out. I switched to an Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - no more freezes.
-Onboard Intel HD4000 video (using my i7)
-Firewire.

Not working:

-The wi-fi/Bluetooth card. I've read it might be possible to get the Bluetooth card partially working. My recommendation is to skip it and get a compatible PCIe wi-fi card and a USB Bluetooth board.
-Although this board has working PCIe slots, there is a legacy PCI slot which will not function in Mac OS. Newer Intel chipsets do not have built-in support for the older PCI slots and Gigabyte is using an unsupported (by Mac OS) PCI bridge chip to put one on this board.
-The eSATA port. Simple fix: Buy an eSATA adapter bracket such as C2G / Cables to Go 13423 Serial ATA to External Serial ATA Dual Port Adapter (Nickel).

Not sure:

-mSATA connector. I'm almost positive it'll work as it's simply a take-off of SATA connector #5.
-PCIe x1 slots. The three x1 PCIe slots are controlled by a chip which splits a 1x lane into 3 1x lanes. I'll see if I can test this out for everyone.

For those who are interested, my build is:

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series Black 650D Mid Tower Computer Case (CC650DW-1)
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K
Cooler: Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler NH-D14 - Retail
Video card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5 2x DVI / HDMI / D-SUB PCI-Express 3.0 Graphics Card Graphics Cards GV-N65TOC-2GI
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML16GX3M2A1600C10)

Lastly, a note to Gigabyte: As I'm sure you've noticed, many people by Gigabyte motherboards for the sole reason of building Hackintosh machines from them due to their compatibility with Mac OS X. Have you considered hand picking all the components of a few motherboards for perfect compatibility with Mac OS (TI Firewire, etc)? Obviously you would not be able to officially support Mac OS or mention it anywhere, but the community would find the boards on its own and recommend them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great board, but watch out for power supply compatibility, May 1, 2013
I'm running a Hackintosh build with this board, and it overall works fantastic. There are a few things that you should be aware of about this board, though, both in general and Hackintosh specific.

One of the most important things to know, both for Windows and Mac, is that this board is picky about what power supply it's paired with due to its "all digital" power management. A lot of folks dismiss this issue assuming everything that meets the ATX standard will work, but that's simply not the case. My Seasonic 850W 80 Plus Gold ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply - X-850 SS-850KM would only sometimes work with this board - When I try to power it on, one of the case fans often spins up a tiny bit, then nothing. I've triple checked all the connections and there are no shorts or anything, and have verified both that the PSU works with other boards and that another PSU works with this one. Others have experienced this issue, too, search Google and Youtube for details. I'm hoping that Gigabyte can address this with a future BIOS revision, version F11 and the F12 beta do not fix it.

According to my research, the following PSUs have had at least one owner encountering this issue:
-Corsair CX750 (Forum post on tonymacx86)
-Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850M (YouTube comment)
-Corsair AX860i (YouTube video by babak91)
-EVGA NEX650G Gold (Amazon Comment by Thoraya Binzagr, thanks!)
-Gigabyte Odin GT 1200W (Review on another site)
-Pc Power and Cooling Silencer mk ii 950w (YouTube comment)
-Seasonic 850W 80 Plus Gold (My own personal experience)

Others have reported success with the following PSUs:
-Antec TruePower Trio (This is what I'm currently using, from my previous build. Now discontinued.)
-Cooler Master M2 Series
-Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold Series
-EVGA NEX650G Gold
-Seasonic Platinum
-Thermaltake (model not specified)
-XFX (model not specified)

Of particular note is that many Corsair PSUs have issues, as the CX750 is recommended alongside this board by the "CustoMac Pro" Hackintosh build on tonymacx86, yikes.

Another general issue is RAM speed detection. I don't know whether to blame my RAM or my motherboard for this, but my Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10) was not detected as DDR3 1600Mhz, and I had to enable the XMP profile in the BIOS for it to run at the full 1600Mhz speed.

There are also some Hackintosh-specific issues:

-The green audio line out in the back suffers from skips and drop-outs in OSX (but works great in Windows). This is easy to work around, though. Just use the orange or black line outs, or the front headphone out, or the optical out as none of those ports have issues. Just configure which output to use in System Preferences. I have not tested HDMI audio.

-The Wi-Fi from the included card does not work with OSX. It uses an Atheros chip, which to my knowledge there isn't a reverse engineered driver for yet. The Bluetooth from the same card works, but you have to connect it to one of your internal USB 2.0 headers in addition to taking up the PCI Express x1 slot.

-While I have not verified this personally, reports are that Thunderbolt devices cannot be hot plugged, and must be switched when the computer is off. Otherwise Thunderbolt works fine, though the controller does not show up in System Profiler.

-Peter's excellent review reports that USB 3.0 devices connected via the board headers and the VIA chip only get USB 2.0 speeds in OSX. I have not verified this as I don't have any USB 3.0 devices yet.

Even despite these issues, this is a great board, and I recommend it for anyone who wants a VERY future-proof Hackintosh. One of the other reviews says that the board does not have a firewire port, but this isn't correct. There is no port on the back, but the board has the necessary header to connect a front port. If your case does not have a port, there are 5.25" bays that can add one using this header, in addition to other goodies like USB or card readers. Speaking of headers, the board is loaded with them. There are 3 internal USB 3.0 headers (enough for 6 ports without a hub), two USB 2.0 headers (2 ports each) in addition to the expected controls for HD audio, switches and LEDs on the front. I can verify that the ports from the USB 3.0 and the red-colored USB 2.0 header will power and charge devices even when the computer is powered off.

For a Hackintosh, you'll want to use no DSDT (which removes a lot of configuration and frustration), and use the following Multibeast settings for Mountain Lion:
-UserDSDT or DSDT-free installation
-Drivers & Bootloaders -> Drivers -> Audio -> Realtek ALC8xx -> Without DSDT -> ALC898
-Drivers & Bootloaders -> Drivers -> Network -> Intel - hnak's AppleIntelE1000w v2.1.7
If you're using integrated video, that's it. If you're using an NVIDIA card, you'll also want to check:
-Customization -> Boot Options -> GraphicsEnabler=No

5.0 out of 5 stars Hackintoshin, August 26, 2012
What a pain in the ass at first since I'm a total newb. Damn its running strong tho!

Love it!

OS: OSX Mountain Lion 10.8 + Windows 7 Ultimate x64
CPU: Intel i7-3770K (Clocked to 4.4 Ghz on air)
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
GPU1: EVGA GeForce GTX670
GPU2: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB
PSU: Antec TPQ-850 850W
HDD: 256GB GB SOLID STATE for Win 7, 128GB for OSX, 5TB Rotational's (7200RPM)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, October 23, 2012
Tons of features, amazing performance. Couldn't be happier!

Dont hesitate with buying this board. Its incredible.

I have it running with an i5, EVGA GT 640 and 16gb DDR 3 and an SSD. This thing just screams!

4.0 out of 5 stars Did not increase my OC! But, who cares..., September 11, 2013
So, foolishly I figured a better power running board would in theory help me to increase my OC substantially on my 2600K... well it didn't. But! It is rock solid at 4.5GHZ and this board is feature-rich! Have no need or desire to upgrade to Haswell, or Ivy at the moment, but if the time comes, Ivy is plug-n-play in this late to the game board.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hackintosh Build, March 9, 2013
dual booting windows 8 and mac mountain lion works great for both. I had a little trouble with the board keeping the correct time replaced the cmos battery and reinstalled the bios and no problem after that. Overall I am happy with this motherboard

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Product (Power Supply Disclaimer), February 5, 2014
This Product only works with certain PSU (power supply)

HX750 and TX650 Corsair DO NOT WORK

Many people all over the place are having this problem...

I have spent tons of $$ on this issue.

RMA The board if you are having this problem. Gigabyte Needs to acknowledge This is a problem with the board

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, January 31, 2014
excellent motherboards , all that is said about it is true, it works extremely well . Now Windows 8 Ready

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, if you have the money buy Gigabyte, but which models are in this price range. They work (my opinion), December 17, 2013
On the first build and OS install, don't mess with the factory BIOS except to activate ACHI if using a SSD, and XMP if you have performance memory modules.Simply load the programs one at a time and restart if the program ask for a restart. This is a Gigabyte product, it's designed well, it's tested well, it works well. My self made rig is a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, I use four G-Skill Trident X memory 2400 mhz modules with the heat spreaders still attached, a Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Intel 3770K, all fitting nicely inside a Corsair 600T white case. Here is the secret to make it fit and work everyone....you must break from conventional wisdom where your cpu fan pulls air from the front of the case and pass it through to the back of your case. You must install your Zalman CNPS 9900 MAX or similar size Zalman product vertically, with the front of the fan facing down and the rear positioned up blowing towards the top of your case. When installed this way all four memory slots are filled with four millimeter to spare.

Rate and Discover Movies